Clifton James Dies

HossC

I've just seen the sad news that Clifton James has passed away. Known to millions as Sheriff J.W. Pepper in the James Bond movies 'Live and Let Die' and 'The Man with the Golden Gun', he was known to us Hazzardites as Sheriff Lester Crabb in 'Treasure of Hazzard'. He died yesterday (Saturday) due to complications from diabetes. He was either 95 or 96, depending on whether you believe the date of birth quoted on IMDb or Wikipedia - the news outlets all seem to be going with 96.

• 5 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, RogerDuke said:

Thanks for letting us know Hoss. Even though he lived a long life it's still tough for us Dukes fans to see folks like him pass on. So many of the folks who weren't major characters are so loved by us serious Dukes fans. May he rest in piece. 

This is true. It brought Hazzard more to reality and gave it more texture.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, Roth Potter said:

I think he would've functioned better as a sheriff of another county, but they needed a sheriff for this episode while Rosco was away. He did quite a good job for the spot he had to fill in but I personally liked Grady Byrd best as temporary replacement.

Rest in peace Clifton.

I really didn't like Grady....he seemed to be a yankee trying to act southern. I liked Huey Hogg the best.

Hey Hobie I'm a yankee who tries to act southern....maybe you wouldn't like me. LOL...Seriousely, I know what you meant and I can see why you would say that. In fact I agree! Still, you have to admire yankees like me who want to be southern. At least we're smart enough to know your way of life is best. A person can't pick where they were born and raised but they can pick a lifestyle and attitude and then live that way when they grow up. If all my family weren't here I'd move to northern Georgia in a second. And one more point...A yankee who tries to act like a southern boy is a lot better than a southern boy who tries to act like a yankee. I suppose there's a few guys like that down there but thank goodness you're not one of them. We need folks like you to keep the southern culture alive. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Hey Hobie I'm a yankee who tries to act southern....maybe you wouldn't like me. LOL...Seriousely, I know what you meant and I can see why you would say that. In fact I agree! Still, you have to admire yankees like me who want to be southern. At least we're smart enough to know your way of life is best. A person can't pick where they were born and raised but they can pick a lifestyle and attitude and then live that way when they grow up. If all my family weren't here I'd move to northern Georgia in a second. And one more point...A yankee who tries to act like a southern boy is a lot better than a southern boy who tries to act like a yankee. I suppose there's a few guys like that down there but thank goodness you're not one of them. We need folks like you to keep the southern culture alive. 

+1!! Great post my Brother!

Well, for a lot of us Yankees, DOH was our introduction to Southern-ness. I grew up north of Boston on the Massachusetts coast, to parents from the Dakotas, and until the show I had NEVER even HEARD words like "ain't," and "y'all" or things like grits or pralines. Probably was a bit of a help when I went to school in the Deep South (Louisiana Tech) and married into the culture. Definitely impacted my speech being down there and for some reason I swing between accents and speech patterns with relative ease.

Another funny thing on a related note; I ended up in the Southwest and amazingly became fluent in Spanish; I teach music in the barrios of South Tucson. When I was first introduced to the staff of my school I had the nerve to say I was tri-lingual, speaking English, Spanish and Southern English. Great ice-breaker :)

Edited by Andrew D Charger Chaser

That's funny Hoss. When microwaves first came out I think it was Steven Wright who said "I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time."

If I ever moved down south I'd probably pick up an accent quickly. My favorite male singer is Charlie Daniels and favorite female singer is Loretta Lynn.I love the southern sound. Do you have an accent Hobie?

No...YOU guys do! LOL!! Yes, you would say I do but there are so many Yankees down here ( more of them than there are of us!), that some of the people here pronounce words like Yankees do! Charlie Daniels lives not too far from me...in Mount Juliet. Loretta Lynn has a ranch outside Nashville. I live right outside Cookeville in Sparta, home of Lester Flatt ( Flatt and Scruggs...bluegrass...a certain type of country music) Charlie Daniels real last name is Daniel with no " S ". He said they got it wrong when he first got into music and it just stuck! :)

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

If I ever moved down south I'd probably pick up an accent quickly. My favorite male singer is Charlie Daniels and favorite female singer is Loretta Lynn.I love the southern sound. Do you have an accent Hobie?

People with musical ears often pick up accents quickly. At the risk of talking about myself too much, I'm a professional musician, and depending on what word or phrase I'm saying, I may at any time sound 1) Midwestern (my parents), 2) Bostonian (my upbringing), 3) Southern (7 yrs in Louisiana and married into the culture) or 4) Latino (I speak Spanish). When it all comes together in the same conversation I can truly sound schizophrenic! 

Edited by Andrew D Charger Chaser

On 10/26/2017 at 9:16 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

No...YOU guys do! LOL!! Yes, you would say I do but there are so many Yankees down here ( more of them than there are of us!), that some of the people here pronounce words like Yankees do! Charlie Daniels lives not too far from me...in Mount Juliet. Loretta Lynn has a ranch outside Nashville. I live right outside Cookeville in Sparta, home of Lester Flatt ( Flatt and Scruggs...bluegrass...a certain type of country music) Charlie Daniels real last name is Daniel with no " S ". He said they got it wrong when he first got into music and it just stuck! :)

Charlie has a book that has just come out about his life. The last time I was this excited about a new book it was by Ben Jones. 

I don't think you should be friendly to Hoss any more Hobie. After all, he is from Europe and that means his kind of folks were the original yankees. Hmmm, come to think of it ...you Southern rednecks have roots in Europe too so his kind of folks were also the original rednecks so he can't be all bad....in fact I think I'd better rewatch "Duke of Dukes" to see if I can figure out how all this works 'cause I'm clearly confused. I think we can all agree that Hoss is only half bad. 

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Well, for a lot of us Yankees, DOH was our introduction to Southern-ness. I grew up north of Boston on the Massachusetts coast, to parents from the Dakotas, and until the show I had NEVER even HEARD words like "ain't," and "y'all" or things like grits or pralines. Probably was a bit of a help when I went to school in the Deep South (Louisiana Tech) and married into the culture. Definitely impacted my speech being down there and for some reason I swing between accents and speech patterns with relative ease.

Another funny thing on a related note; I ended up in the Southwest and amazingly became fluent in Spanish; I teach music in the barrios of South Tucson. When I was first introduced to the staff of my school I had the nerve to say I was tri-lingual, speaking English, Spanish and Southern English. Great ice-breaker :)

I had a guy where I used to work, from somewhere around one of the Dakotas and I said " Have a good 'un! "  and he's like " Whaaat??" I said " Have a good 'un"  and he's still confused and so I explained, down here " Have a good 'un " is short for " Have a good one!" Meaning have a good day!  :) "

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, RogerDuke said:

I don't think you should be friendly to Hoss any more Hobie. After all, he is from Europe and that means his kind of folks were the original yankees. Hmmm, come to think of it ...you Southern rednecks have roots in Europe too so his kind of folks were also the original rednecks so he can't be all bad....in fact I think I'd better rewatch "Duke of Dukes" to see if I can figure out how all this works 'cause I'm clearly confused. I think we can all agree that Hoss is only half bad. 

Hoss is also a genetic Brother, being from Ireland...I'm Irish on both sides! ( One part of my family is from County Down). Hoss is also one of my " Go to" guys when I have a DOH question....He's definitely an ok kind of guy.....so....He gets a pass!!  ;)