The Dukes of Hazzard is on TVLand

Meadowmufn

I've been watching the TVLand episodes live. They're 70 minutes so they're loaded with commercials so unless you're the type who like commercials plan on doing other things during them. Still, I love watching them live because I know other people are watching them at the exact same time I am. I can't explain why but knowing that makes me feel good..

And the Dukes have been making me feel good for 36 years now, since I was 19.

I know we're spoiled over here having a few commercial-free channels, but I find it increasingly amazing that US viewers put up with so many commercials. Even on our commercial stations, a half-hour show only usually has a single break, and it's obvious with some US shows that at least two other breaks have been omitted.

If I compare half-hour comedies, ones made by the (commercial-free) BBC are generally around 29 minutes long, although some have been known to go over 30 minutes in the past (just like some full episodes of Top Gear are 61 or 62 minutes long). UK/Irish sitcoms on commercial TV tend to be around 24 and a half minutes, which is about where US shows were at in the 1970s (I'm using my M*A*S*H DVDs as an example). The latest season of The Big Bang Theory had several episodes that were around 19 and a half minutes long including opening and closing credits. I guess that's what happens when five of the stars demand $1 million per episode (which, based on the quality of the last season, seems like pretty poor value for money).

The same appears to be true with sporting events. With NASCAR races it feels like the race coverage and commercials get about equal time, and when UK stations take US feeds of sports like golf, they tend to skip every other commercial break by going back to the studio for additional comment.

Getting back to TVLand, stretching each Dukes episode to 70 minutes means that roughly a third of the time is commercials. Much as I'd like to see Dukes back on TV over here, I wouldn't watch them if they were either cut to pieces or over an hour long.

I am so happy I got the DVDs. The only reason I would want to maybe watch Dukes on TV is for the claimed HD.

I'm happy my country has commercials regulated and live sporting events aren't even allowed to have commercials in them. :D

I once tried to Watch NASCAR, I knew the USA had a lot of commercials. But I found 2/3 of the whole race was commercials! Good thing my country has split screen commercials if the station is from outside the country and the event is live.

I hope they stay on TV. With all the Confederate Flag controversy the last two days I suspect the Dukes days are numbered.

It angers me that millions of people are being punished and vilified because of what one madman did. I'm just as angry as anybody else over the massacre. Why should I be punished?

I agree with you so much. I wish I had TV Land and CMT to watch Dukes but I will hopefully have all the seasons on DVD soon. At least we have Cooter's Place to get some merchandise if we want them. And I honestly don't see why we should be punished for this. So many emotions are spurred in me because of this. Anger being the biggest.

I know we're spoiled over here having a few commercial-free channels, but I find it increasingly amazing that US viewers put up with so many commercials. Even on our commercial stations, a half-hour show only usually has a single break, and it's obvious with some US shows that at least two other breaks have been omitted.

If I compare half-hour comedies, ones made by the (commercial-free) BBC are generally around 29 minutes long, although some have been known to go over 30 minutes in the past (just like some full episodes of Top Gear are 61 or 62 minutes long). UK/Irish sitcoms on commercial TV tend to be around 24 and a half minutes, which is about where US shows were at in the 1970s (I'm using my M*A*S*H DVDs as an example). The latest season of The Big Bang Theory had several episodes that were around 19 and a half minutes long including opening and closing credits. I guess that's what happens when five of the stars demand $1 million per episode (which, based on the quality of the last season, seems like pretty poor value for money).

The same appears to be true with sporting events. With NASCAR races it feels like the race coverage and commercials get about equal time, and when UK stations take US feeds of sports like golf, they tend to skip every other commercial break by going back to the studio for additional comment.

Getting back to TVLand, stretching each Dukes episode to 70 minutes means that roughly a third of the time is commercials. Much as I'd like to see Dukes back on TV over here, I wouldn't watch them if they were either cut to pieces or over an hour long.

Yeah the multiple commercial breaks are quite annoying. I usually just mute them or turn the channel for a few minutes. It sucks how much is cut out of the older shows for syndication these days. Most of the DoH episodes are 47+ minutes so if TV Land is running them for 70 minutes that must mean they are running mostly unedited episodes. Other hour long shows they just cut about 5 min out of them to bring the episodes down to 41-43 minutes. Half hour long shows used to be about 24min:30sec. now just as you pointed out they are about 19-21 minutes. This one channel called MeTV runs shows from the 1950's-1990's. In a recent episode of Danny Thomas from the 1950's I noticed they cut out about an extra minute as I recalled there was a scene missing, they replaced that missing scene with a minute long commercial for the latest wonder drug.    

Nascar is just getting more un-watchable live. It's usually 3-5 minutes of racing and 5 minutes of commercial until the final 15 minutes of the race. With most of the races on FS1 and NBCSN I won't be watching them as I don't feel like paying extra for channels I won't watch 95% of the time. Though if you do want to watch the races Nascar posts them on their youtube channel a week or two after the race mostly commercial free aside from the youtube ads.

Edited by Spike

TVLand dumped Dukes of Hazzard from their schedule. It's still listed on their online schedule, but they removed it from their list of shows on their site and aired another show instead. I'm sure it's because of the Charleston shooting. What an overreaction. I guess we can forget ever seeing the show on tv again or any release of it in HD or bluray. :(

I'm not surprised. It will probably be a few years before the Dukes will be back on TV if ever again. By then WB will probably go thru every minute and fuzzy censor the flag.

Glad I got my complete dvd collection. 

Why didn't people go all this crazy when James Holmes professed to being a real 'Joker' and demand that  WB/DC banish the Joker comic character.   

You know what really irks  :mad: me is the hateful posts for this show from some people who obviously never EVER watched a single moment of the show. The past few days I've seen comments on various media news sites, people have posted 'it's about time it got banned' and 'It's the most racist show ever made'. Even some of the so called "news" bloggers were getting into it bashing the show and commending WB and TVLand. What has this country come too. /end rant. 

Edited by Spike

After the Bill Cosby thing yesterday I assume that every episode of The Cosby Show, Fat Albert etc will be dropped if it hasn't already.

I'm okay with punishing him because he's guilty. The Dukes stars have done nothing wrong.

The problem is  who you're really punishing in these cases is the people who still like these shows. Not only that but none of the other actors and actresses on The Cosby Show did a lot after that so they're getting punished for losing royalty payments.

Hmmm, my last post made me wonder. Could the Dukes stars sue TVLand for punishing them (loss of royalties) since nobody on the Dukes had anything to do with the murders?

I feel like suing TVLand for punishing me by taking my enjoyment away. I feel like they're accusing me of having something to do with the tragedy.

I've never sued anybody in my life and have no intention to but if I was losing money because of this unjust punishment I'd consider it.

I hate being punished for something I didn't do.

After the Bill Cosby thing yesterday I assume that every episode of The Cosby Show, Fat Albert etc will be dropped if it hasn't already.

I'm okay with punishing him because he's guilty. The Dukes stars have done nothing wrong.

The problem is  who you're really punishing in these cases is the people who still like these shows. Not only that but none of the other actors and actresses on The Cosby Show did a lot after that so they're getting punished for losing royalty payments.

Actually Bounce TV has removed all of Bill Cosby's show and Fat Albert from their Program schedule as of today. BET is still airing reruns though.

Edited by Spike

Since George Washington owned slaves I can only assume that he has been banned from television as well.

There was never a single racist moment in 7 years and 150 episodes of the Dukes. If they can be banned from TV I can only assume someone who owned slaves deserves that AND WORSE in the eyes of the politically forces who run this country.

Imagine a co-worker, who you didn't like, robbed a bank and the response of the authorities was to arrest him and days later come to into the homes of all his co-workers  and take away all their furniture.

That would make absolutely no sense at all.

Apparently it would make sense to TVLand though.

Oh well, I have to stop thinking about this thing because it's not good to focus on something negative for so long. Life's too short.

So I guess it's time to take the loss on the chin and move on

If we ever see a day that the government comes into our homes and confiscates our Dukes DVDs by force because the Dukes of Hazzard has been deemed "hate speech" then I guess I'll have a bigger problem.  

I don't think it will get that bad in my lifetime but I see nothing to stop the trend of the politically correct few to impose their will on the innocent majority. We're supposed to be a nation that is tolerant of everybody but if your views aren't in line with what the government wants them to be, there will be no tolerance for you.

Hopefully this will be my last post on the subject. It's time to put a Dukes DVD in and move on to better things.

I don't think it will get that bad in my lifetime but I see nothing to stop the trend of the politically correct few to impose their will on the innocent majority. We're supposed to be a nation that is tolerant of everybody but if your views aren't in line with what the government wants them to be, there will be no tolerance for you.

Hopefully this will be my last post on the subject. It's time to put a Dukes DVD in and move on to better things.

I see the P.C. types are now going after bands that use or have used the confederate battle flag during concerts or on shirts & cd's. Rolling Stone has now thrown their measly two cents into the discussion asking the bands to do away with the 'racist' symbol. others are asking for a GM automobile boycott till GM distances itself from Kid Rock. Thank God Kid Rock still has a pair and told the flag protesters where they can stick it.    

• 2 weeks later...

I see Flo has a new Progressive commercial out.

It starts out with two guys driving a fat ride convertible and the song Dixie plays just like on the General Lee's horn.

I suspect that the politically correct police are calling Progressive every day to protest.

I applaud them for not giving in and dropping the commercial.

On the subject of commercials someone told me the new Autotrader Duke Boys ads have been re-cut to not show the flag on the top of the General, I haven't seen them on tv recently though then again I tend to turn the channel when commercials start lol.