What's Your Favorite Type of 69 Charger?

426GeneralLee

There's a website I visit often, maybe some of us here has heard of it. www.carsinbarns.com

They have a page on there that is only for Chrysler Wing Cars (1969 Dodge Daytona/1970 Plymouth Superbird).

This website is dedicated to any muscle car or classic car that's been rotting away in either someone's driveway, barn, or field. If you're a classic car fan like me, some of these pics might make you sick, so discretion is advised!!!

• 1 month later...
My favorite '69 Charger? I'd say a base Charger, painted like the General Lee, dual glasspacks, a manual tranny, and a tuned 528 hemi hiding under the hood.

You'd have to do a lot of upgrading to the car to make it right. You would be better starting off with an R/T or at the very least a 383 car. If we take "base model" literally we are talking a "three on the tree" 3 speed transmission, a 225 c.i. "Leaning Tower of Power" Slant-6, a spindly 8.25" rearend, and inadequate (for such a motor as you want) suspension (torsion bars and rear leaf springs) and brakes. Another upgrade that all original Hemi cars had was; they had the same type of chassis that was used on convertibles; even the normal hard tops. These had box shaped reinforcements in front and in the rear of the leaf springs. These were there on convertibles because they didn't have the benefit of an integral steel roof for structural integrity. They were there on Hemi cars because Chrysler was worried about the torque of the Hemi twisting the chassis.

The best Charger to drop a really powerful motor into would be an original Hemi car though these are so valuable that they are pretty much out of the question. The next best thing would a 440 car. No chassis reinforcements but subframe connectors can pretty much make up for that. At least the transmission, suspension and brakes would all be up to snuff; or at least could be rebuilt (in the case of the transmission and the rearend) to be up to snuff whereas that stuff on a base model car would all have to be replaced.

Since you want a manual transmission you would want the version of the A-833 4 speed that came in Hemi cars. You would also want the Dana 60 rearend (these came in Hemi cars and some 440 cars). Some 440 cars came with 8.75" rearends and those can be rebuilt to handle the motor you mention. You can get the correct R/T suspension components from Mopar Performance. It would also be good to do a disk brake upgrade to at least the front. Don't forget to upgrade your fuel sending unit to a 3/8" tube either or you won't be able to feed that big motor properly.

My favorite '69 Charger? I'd say a base Charger, painted like the General Lee, dual glasspacks, a manual tranny, and a tuned 528 hemi hiding under the hood.

You'd have to do a lot of upgrading to the car to make it right. You would be better starting off with an R/T or at the very least a 383 car. If we take "base model" literally we are talking a "three on the tree" 3 speed transmission, a 225 c.i. "Leaning Tower of Power" Slant-6, a spindly 8.25" rearend, and inadequate (for such a motor as you want) suspension (torsion bars and rear leaf springs) and brakes. Another upgrade that all original Hemi cars had was; they had the same type of chassis that was used on convertibles; even the normal hard tops. These had box shaped reinforcements in front and in the rear of the leaf springs. These were there on convertibles because they didn't have the benefit of an integral steel roof for structural integrity. They were there on Hemi cars because Chrysler was worried about the torque of the Hemi twisting the chassis.

The best Charger to drop a really powerful motor into would be an original Hemi car though these are so valuable that they are pretty much out of the question. The next best thing would a 440 car. No chassis reinforcements but subframe connectors can pretty much make up for that. At least the transmission, suspension and brakes would all be up to snuff; or at least could be rebuilt (in the case of the transmission and the rearend) to be up to snuff whereas that stuff on a base model car would all have to be replaced.

Since you want a manual transmission you would want the version of the A-833 4 speed that came in Hemi cars. You would also want the Dana 60 rearend (these came in Hemi cars and some 440 cars). Some 440 cars came with 8.75" rearends and those can be rebuilt to handle the motor you mention. You can get the correct R/T suspension components from Mopar Performance. It would also be good to do a disk brake upgrade to at least the front. Don't forget to upgrade your fuel sending unit to a 3/8" tube either or you won't be able to feed that big motor properly.

I think we can say this guy has definitely done his research. :D

I think we can say that this guy has definitely done his research. :D