James Best Has Passed Away

Jimmie died this morning at the age of 88, after a brief illness and double pneumonia. As many of you know, I was fortunate enough to know Jimmie personally. As soon as I have time to gather my thoughts, I will post something on the main page of Hazzardnet. In the meantime, feel free to leave your fond remembrances of him here.

sadness clouds covered the sky today, another idol of my childhood leave us alone with the memories, thank you very much JAMES, were a great actor but above all a great person all your life. tube provided the illusion of meeting you but the geographical distance and other impediments avoided it. your soul will always be in all seasons of the dukes, my condolences to the family and a big hug in the soul.

I heard this, this morning. ( My wife saw it on FB). I never got to meet him in person and was glad though, that I got his autograph and VHS tape with him and Sorrell Booke at his house and on his yacht. He was very funny and there will never be anyone like him or even close! You always hear about Abott and Costello or Laurel and Hardy, but he and Sorrell were the best comedy team to ever be on film! I was hoping to see one more new Dukes with him....this is very sad.

Sorry folks, but I missed this thread and started a new one on the passing of James Best a few minutes ago. I have him on a few "Dukes" DVDs and also "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" (a 1953 creature feature, he was one of the radar operators in the Arctic when a blast releases the monster, etc.). Is it just me, or has everyone else not heard a cross word about this man ever? RIP, Sheriff Rosco.

Had Jimmy fallen on hard times before he died? I was just wondering, because I know the HUGE mansion I saw on my tape of him and the limo, etc., that he had and then here a few weeks ago, I looked up his net worth on Celebrity Worth, just out of curiosity, and it said he was worth $ 500,000. Well, that's not poor but it sure wouldn't be near enough to keep him in that big mansion, yacht, etc. that I saw.

He was probably the best actor I ever saw....him or Sorrell, it's a toss up between those two! He could literally make himself look completely different, simply by his facial expressions! You would be hard pressed to find anybody as good as he is!! I will miss you ol' buddy!! God Bless!!

I don't think Jimmie had fallen on hard times. I won't comment on his net worth, except to say I'm pretty sure that website is inaccurate. He did move from a mansion in Oviedo, FL to other homes over the years and I think they may have "downsized". Jimmie once told me he wanted to make sure he left plenty for his family and knowing him, I'm confident he did. And that's all I'll say about that.

I have never met James for real, but I have always loved him in his role as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane.

R.I.P. :cry:

He was 88 year old, and, OK, it's normal dying at this age if you think that some people die younger, but it's sad anyway.

Denver is gone, and so Sorrel, and Peggy, and Christopher. And now, James.

It's sad. I can't say anything else. :(

I don't think Jimmie had fallen on hard times. I won't comment on his net worth, except to say I'm pretty sure that website is inaccurate. He did move from a mansion in Oviedo, FL to other homes over the years and I think they may have "downsized". Jimmie once told me he wanted to make sure he left plenty for his family and knowing him, I'm confident he did. And that's all I'll say about that.

That sounds just like something Jimmy would say and do....he was that kind of man! Looking out for others just came natural for him! Muffin, I'm sure you're exactly right!!

I had written this many years ago in response to a fan fiction challenge involving death. I never finished the story or published any of it, but I thought this section of it would be appropriate to share now. It originally included Taps and a 3 volley salute, led by Sheriff Little, but I thought that part of it would be too sad. Maybe someday I'll publish the whole thing. But for now...

The Funeral of Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane

http://www.hazzardnet.com/blog/2015/04/08/the-funeral-of-sheriff-rosco-p-coltrane/

I've just been reading through Jimmie's obituary on jamesbest.com. It contains some lovely tributes from Burt Reynolds, Dukes co-stars Tom Wopat, John Schneider, Sonny Shroyer, Rick Hurst and Ben Jones, and Dukes stuntman Corey Eubanks.

He and Burt were good friends. I think Burt even attended his acting school. He told Jimmie back in the 70's that in a few years he'd be a household name and he was right. :)

I was always a big fan of the show and was so glad to be able to take my family to see him several years ago in Griffin, GA. His nick name for his wife was Teenser, perhaps because of her petite size. I don't remember where I picked up that piece of information but when the kids were buying souvenirs at his counter I pointed at some shiny gold Sheriff badges and said to his wife Dorothy "I'll take a couple of those teenser badges" and said it like Rosco. She told Jimmy that and we all had a chuckle over it. He was a very accommodating person and it was neat to cut the fool with him in person a bit. He also did some impromptu stuff with a Don Knotts impersonator, as both were dressed as Sheriffs. Good times. Hard to believe it's been nearly 30yrs ago when this show first came out.

• 1 month later...

I had written this many years ago in response to a fan fiction challenge involving death. I never finished the story or published any of it, but I thought this section of it would be appropriate to share now. It originally included Taps and a 3 volley salute, led by Sheriff Little, but I thought that part of it would be too sad. Maybe someday I'll publish the whole thing. But for now...

The Funeral of Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane

http://www.hazzardnet.com/blog/2015/04/08/the-funeral-of-sheriff-rosco-p-coltrane/

I can't believe it. Someone took whole verbatim paragraphs from this piece I wrote, stuck it into another story "In Memory of Rosco P. Coltrane" and tried to pass it all off as their own on FanFiction.net. I'm pretty peeved. I understand wanting to do a tribute to James Best, but it should be in their own words.