Interior layout of the Boar's Nest

I misspelled a few things when I worked on a tv series called 'SeaQuest DSV'. One of them was on a patch design on costumes that were sold to the public after the show ended, so its become known among collectors, so its still a bit embarrassing.

Mark

Awesome show, i'm a pretty big sci-fi fan as well. this was on my rotation!

what kind of work did you do?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember: bad spelling started long before Facebook and Twitter made it popular (or should that be compulsory?

This is a common where I live now! NOBODY knows how to spell!! Even the teachers! I was a janitor at the middle school and the vice principal told me to put up a sign about when fall registration was....she spelled it, " Fall registeration" !! Incredible!!

Done going through the first two seasons as well as a couple dozen miscellaneous eps from other seasons of DOH mining for info about the interior details of the Boar's Nest. I've nailed down most of what the set consisted of during the run of the series.

A few interesting observations:

The Boar's Nest:

-has no bathroom

-has one door on the back of the building, that is sometimes an exit, sometimes a closet (maybe its the bathroom sometimes too).

-seems to have no kitchen; just a back room (doors to back room just say 'receiving'). Where is that 'world's best tastin bbq' made?

-has no air conditioning (according to dialog).

Mark

A few interesting observations:

The Boar's Nest:

-has no bathroom

-has one door on the back of the building, that is sometimes an exit, sometimes a closet (maybe its the bathroom sometimes too).

-seems to have no kitchen; just a back room (doors to back room just say 'receiving'). Where is that 'world's best tastin bbq' made?

-has no air conditioning (according to dialog).

The exterior of the Boars Nest was larger than the parts of the interior that we got to see, so there was room for a kitchen and a bathroom, but they would've had to have exterior doors, which isn't very convenient.

We never got to see the "World's Best Tastin' Bar-B-Que", but I'd put it outside, possibly around the back to avoid the dust of the parking lot. There was a bar near where I used to live that had a barbecue in their garden every weekend throughout the summer (weather permitting).

The exterior of the Boars Nest was larger than the parts of the interior that we got to see, so there was room for a kitchen and a bathroom, but they would've had to have exterior doors, which isn't very convenient.http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com/scart/public/database/product/images_products/9152_big.jpg

Correct- there is room on that end of the building opposite Boss' office, but the only access to that area are those double doors- I suppose everything from the kitchen to the bathroom could be in there (but it would be a VERY small kitchen). And the 'in' and 'out' signs on the doors would hint that there is waiter traffic in and out of a kitchen. Plus, we never truly get to see what is in the back, so there could be a whole other extension to the building that you get to through those double doors. If and when I build my 1/25 scale model of the BN with full interior, I'm going to 'invent' the kitchen and bathroom back there somewhere.

We never got to see the "World's Best Tastin' Bar-B-Que", but I'd put it outside, possibly around the back to avoid the dust of the parking lot. There was a bar near where I used to live that had a barbecue in their garden every weekend throughout the summer (weather permitting).

Yes- there could be a nice smoker setup out back with minimal 'kitchen' facilities inside. Seen that many times in the south. Maybe I'll include that on the model!

Mark

I've gone all the way through season 3 now and it appears that the 'reversal' of the Boar's Nest interior set happened in the transition between seasons 2 and 3, not sometime in the middle of season 3. There are only two episodes in season 3 that show the original arrangement of the BN interior (Uncle Boss & Baa Baa White Sheep), but they were apparently filmed during season 2 and aired during season 3.

M

I had an idea that 'Opening Night at the Boar's Nest' might include some shots of the Boar's Nest :). The bar is still down the right-hand side of the public area and the chairs have been set up to face the rear wall. When the curtains are opened, they reveal an extension at the back. When Boss is checking this area before the show, there's a small square window in the rear wall.

BoarsNestInt0717.jpg

This extension includes a trap door to the basement (yes, another one!) which leads to a set of doors at the end of Boar's Nest that I don't recall seeing before. In the screengrab below, the parking lot is just out of shot to the left, so this must be the right-hand end of the building. The door in the wall is nearly central, and would be a better match for Boss' exterior door, but it's at the wrong end. I'm not sure how many episodes feature this repeat of the "Bar-B-Que" and "Cold Beer" graphics on the end wall.

BoarsNestExt0717.jpg

post-6014-143050815729_thumb.jpg

I had an idea that 'Opening Night at the Boar's Nest' might include some shots of the Boar's Nest :). The bar is still down the right-hand side of the public area and the chairs have been set up to face the rear wall. When the curtains are opened, they reveal an extension at the back. When Boss is checking this area before the show, there's a small square window in the rear wall.

And its not just a room- it has a raised floor/stage. Notice that Boss steps up into this space. I'm still reviewing seasons 5,6,7, I'm pretty certain this extension was invented for this episode. Also, but this time (end of season 7), I think they felt this area had been so ignored by the camera for so long, that nobody would remember that it used to be just another wall. I suppose you could reason that this room was always back there (we know there was at least a close back there at one point), and they opened up the wall to create the stage area for Lulu's big talent show fund raiser.

This extension includes a trap door to the basement (yes, another one!) which leads to a set of doors at the end of Boar's Nest that I don't recall seeing before. In the screengrab below, the parking lot is just out of shot to the left, so this must be the right-hand end of the building. The door in the wall is nearly central, and would be a better match for Boss' exterior door, but it's at the wrong end. I'm not sure how many episodes feature this repeat of the "Bar-B-Que" and "Cold Beer" graphics on the end wall.

BoarsNestExt0717.jpg

Yes, this is the right hand side of the building (click thumbnail below). The right hand side always had the door that is nearly centered and it matched up with the door location of Boss' exterior door because that's what the layout was for seasons 1 and 2. The left hand side of the building had the door that was much closer to the back of the building. For some reason when they decided to flip the interior layout, they never bothered to make the doors on the exterior set match up. I think by this time (season 3), they figured if the world believed the General Lee could fly, then a little bad continuity with door placement wouldn't distract anyone.

post-6014-143050815729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark B.

Very nice! But what is the difference between season 1 and 2 interiors you made?

The entire left side of the set (bar, doors) was moved 'in' a few feet. May have been done to make room more cozy (fewer extras for a crowd), and/or to make the set easier to film since it had a low roof. The further away the walls are, the taller the walls need to be and they had already established the BN as having a relatively low ceiling. Or it could have simply been a space issue if the soundstage for season 2 was crowded.

Mark

The entire left side of the set (bar, doors) was moved 'in' a few feet. May have been done to make room more cozy (fewer extras for a crowd)...

That could well be the reason. I remembered an article called 5 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets From Cheers which says, "It took 30 to 40 extras to fill up the pub set as “customersâ€; any less and the bar looked too empty." I know "Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience", but I'm guessing that the original Boar's Nest took a similar number of extras to look full.

BTW, I liked the new plans. Did you notice that Rosco is seen in the closet in Boss' office in 'Opening Night at the Boar's Nest', but the interior is so dark that you can't see any details.