Life long fan, finally joining the forum! :)

Hey y'all.

Well, I've been reading these forums on and off for several years, and have finally got around to signing up! (I work and often live on a boat, so internet access comes and goes!) :)

I've been a Dukes fan my whole live. I was born in 1978, and Dukes began here in the U.K. in March '79, so I guess you could say I've literally grown up with it. One of my first memories is sitting on my Dad's knee (or by him when I was old enough to say "I'm old enough now!) watching Dukes. Even though our family has sadly had some hard times and very much fallen apart, Dukes remains one of the few 'bonding' things between my Dad and I. When something breaks he'd mention about having to "play Cooter" (his favourite character) to fix it, and any (male) manager at work would invariably be referred to as "Boss Hogg".

Bizarrely, from someone who grew up worshipping TV (the golden 1980s era of so many great US shows), collecting and documenting it, and working in it for a time, I actually don't have a television set now - which I never imagined I'd say just a few years ago. I'm all about the outdoors now, and educating local schools and community groups about the beauty of, and protecting, the environment around us as part of my job, which is something I think / hope Uncle Jesse and the Dukes would love.

But I have every episode on DVD (having had numerous off-air recordings over the years beforehand) and Dukes is still one of the most important influences on my life. The way of doing things - not always the most conventional, but finding a way to do something. The morals of the series have influenced so many of us.

(...It's even influenced my fashion sense, as I often dress good ol' boy style, much to the light-hearted ribbing of my friends. I'm even known to often dress in Bo's traditional colours, of cream shirt and blue tshirt with jeans... sometimes without even realising it!)

Welcome.

YEAHHH, someone else for Europe. :D

I really like what you're saying here:

"Dukes is still one of the most important influences on my life. The way of doing things - not always the most conventional, but finding a way to do something. The morals of the series have influenced so many of us."

Really important and deep words.

Thanks for all the kind words and warm welcomes :)

In the dark ages between the end of the original run and the dawn of the internet era, I often thought I was the lone Dukes fan left on the planet, especially in the U.K. It's really good to see there are so many other fans out there and how it is loved just as much now 35 years later.