Auto Trader filming a commercial with John/Tom as Dukes

jaak

SIAP,

I have read about an Auto Trader commercial that is being filmed with John and Tom. Apparently they are doing a lot of stunts for one commercial, they have 2 hero cars (both of which are actual series used Generals), 2 Generals for hard core stunt driving, and lastly 2 more Generals used for jump scenes. This is the only pics I found online, Its a transport truck hauling the stunt Generals and some Hazzard County Sheriff cars...check them out... newer Chargers with decals like the old Monacos and Furys in the series.

I don't know when it is scheduled to air, but the started filming this past Saturday.

ScreenShot2014-02-18at93814AM_zps10a9cbc8.png.html

ScreenShot2014-02-18at93827AM_zpsb4eeea98.png

Jason

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting the video, Jason. I was beginning to wonder when they'd release it.

Some of the other teaser pictures I've seen of the cars on a transporter showed the General complete with the flag on the roof, but it looks like the commercial was carefully shot from low angles so that it wasn't seen.

I did like the Daisy's Denim Depot billboard. If AutoTrader had been a little more savvy they could've made a dummy site with the advertised URL and redirected people to their site. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me that will see if the site is real.

DaisysDenimDepot.jpg

Just a few interesting facts I found about the commercial.

The GL that Tom and John is in, is in fact a real series used General. There was also another real Series General on set, but I'm not sure if it was used during the filming. They were 4 stunt cars used, they all are intacted and have already found homes. The one that comes through on the outside of the barn jump and jumps through the glass a the dealership belongs to a member of dodgecharger.com, it is a 68 Charger with a 383. To my understanding the car that took the most punishment (think it is the car that jumps into the barn), Is a 70 Charger. If I find out any more facts, or any behind the scene pics, I will post them here.

Jason

Some of the other teaser pictures I've seen of the cars on a transporter showed the General complete with the flag on the roof, but it looks like the commercial was carefully shot from low angles so that it wasn't seen.

DaisysDenimDepot.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess AutoTrader wanted to play it safe, and keep the liberal media off their backs.

If you guys have facebook, check out this page. This guy is a member of Dodgecharger.com, he owns a GL that was used in the Reunion Movies, and the 2005 movie. He knows the right people, and he got to watch the shoot. He took a lot of photos, but couldn't post them until the commercial was released. check out the link, alot of cool pics.

https://m.facebook.com/justin.cornette/albums/10152458589399707/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=like&actorid=1000732973

Jason

It's amazing how many continuity errors they managed to cram into two minutes and twelve seconds. Did anyone notice the seat belts? They were never popular in the original series (or any other show from that era), but I assume someone insisted that the Duke Boys had to wear them here. In some scenes the belts come from the roof, while others show them going over Bo and Luke's shoulders and immediately disappearing out of sight. You'd have thought that a racecar like the General would have racing harnesses, but these are loose enough for Bo to lean out of the window (also note that his head is no longer out of the window when the camera angle changes). Just occasionally the seat belts disappear completely.

AutoTraderSeatBelts.jpg

One of the reasons for the seat belt changes may be that the General's roll cage constantly disappears and reappears throughout the commercial. The headlights are also visible for a short time in the middle.

AutoTraderRollCage.jpg

Today I saw the commercial, I was pleasantly surprised to a ran tear on my cheek to see the cousins ​​duke grown and together in the beloved general lee, I looked at more than 10 times but I did not realize the details appreciated hoosc friend, fine eye friend, I congratulate you.

saw it when I can just think being in a fest with my idols??

I was very happy today, thanks DUKES OF HAZZARD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

Been away from the forum for a month or two - been canal festival season, which is busy for me, and means even less web access. Either way, whist I'm away, the Dukes have been at play with the new Autotrader commercial.

I was quietly amused at the numerous continuity errors (I spotted the disappearing roll cage straight away) but in a bizarre way it was in keeping with the TV show, where details of the General would not only vary between episodes, but sometimes within the same episode.

Little touches such as "Daisy's Denim Depot" (which HossC has already covered) were really nice. It did stand out to me that Luke did refer to the General Lee just as "our old friend here". Maybe this was just innocent dialogue, but it felt strange not referencing the car by name. Part of me wondered if it was some sort of copyright loophole, but also I wondered if it was to do with playing down the whole confederate flag element.

...Which leads me onto the flag (or lack of). Sadly it didn't surprise me that the flag wasn't seen. Yes we all know the arguments for (and against) it being present on the General, but in fairness maybe it wasn't down to an innocent little Autotrader commercial to take sides on the argument. Either way, does anyone know if the flag actually was on the roof of any of the Generals used and simply filmed so it wasn't seen, or were there no flags present?

Another thing that stood out to me was how John and Tom played their characters. 35 years later and they still slip into them so easily. Though I did feel that parts of the commercial, especially with Bo tossing Luke's phone at the detour sign, and his laughter afterwards, were almost played in a "2005 movie" style (shudder). I wonder if this was deliberate intention, or just the mood of the commercial.

For anyone who hasn't done so yet (especially us overseas fans who won't see it broadcast on TV), I'd recommend folk check both the 'mini-movie' and individual segments versions on YouTube, as the editing, pacing and various shots is different between the two. Also look up the behind the scenes video, which is good.

I'm sure I wasn't alone when seeing it, that it was a perfect example that a new mini series of some sort could be made. With the digital age we're in, it could even be produced for on-line (which is generally more liberal than TV so might also help avoid the whole flag debate which I feel his limited previous options of a revival). Sadly Denver Pyle, Sorrel Booke and various recurring performers are no longer with us, but enough of the original cast are still about (and very willing) for a new mini series (of full length episodes) to be an option, even if that does include bringing some new cast members to share the load slightly.

For anyone who hasn't done so yet (especially us overseas fans who won't see it broadcast on TV), I'd recommend folk check both the 'mini-movie' and individual segments versions on YouTube, as the editing, pacing and various shots is different between the two. Also look up the behind the scenes video, which is good.

For anyone who hasn't seen the behind-the-scenes footage, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0GN3pDrVHI

... does anyone know if the flag actually was on the roof of any of the Generals used and simply filmed so it wasn't seen, or were there no flags present?

There were definitely flags on some of the cars. Here's another picture of the cars on the hauler that I found on dukescollector.blogspot.com. Also, take a look at the scene where Bo throws Luke's phone at the sign - the white corner of the flag is just visible.

AutoTraderTransporter.jpg

In the behind-the-scenes video (above), many items seem to have been blurred (I'm guessing it's mainly brand names for copyright reasons). In the picture below you can see this on the crew member's shirt and the Ryder truck in the background. To me it looks like they also blurred the flag and General Lee text on the roof every time they came into view.

AutoTraderFlag.jpg

Finally, the behind-the-scenes video includes captions with various numbers relating to the filming popping up on the screen. I think this one sums up why we used to love the stunts in Dukes :).

AutoTraderNoCGI.jpg

I finally saw it for the first time.

I loved it except for the fact that the Duke boys are considering trading in the General.

They'd never do that.

It reminded me of the reunion show where all three Dukes had left Hazzard, leaving Jesse to run the farm all alone.

They'd never do that either.

Still, it's awesome to see the Dukes in the spotlight again driving the most famous car in the history of the planet.