Dukes of Hazzard is back on CMT!

Meadowmufn

I just checked zap2it's listings. It shows the marathon running sunday and the first 5 episodes airing the following mon-fri. However, the following mon and tues, Dukes is NOT airing. So far the schedule only goes up through Jan. 14, so I can't check beyond that. Surely CMT wouldn't go to the trouble of getting HD versions to air for just one week. Or would they?

I just checked zap2it's listings. It shows the marathon running sunday and the first 5 episodes airing the following mon-fri. However, the following mon and tues, Dukes is NOT airing. So far the schedule only goes up through Jan. 14, so I can't check beyond that. Surely CMT wouldn't go to the trouble of getting HD versions to air for just one week. Or would they?

The CMT schedule shows it running through at least Jan 25. That's probably as much of the program schedule they publish at the moment.

I love watching the show knowing other fans are watching it at the same time so this is exciting.

Thanks for the updates.

I know. I like knowing so many other fans are watching when I am. Y'all want to watch together in the chat room on Sunday? I probably won't watch the whole marathon, but I'm sure I'll tune in for several hours. Those of you who don't get CMT can watch your dvds at the same time.

For those of us without CMT who may want to watch along with DVDs, this seems to be the list of episodes they're showing today:

(All times are ET as far as I can tell. Season/episode #s are as I found them on a listings site.)

2:00 PM ... Season 5 Episode 20: Big Brothers Duke

3:02 PM ... Season 2 Episode 16: The Treasure of Hazzard

4:04 PM ... Season 2 Episode 11: People's Choice

5:06 PM ... Season 2 Episode 17: Officer Daisy Duke

6:08 PM ... Season 5 Episode 22: Daisy's Shotgun Wedding

7:11 PM ... Season 3 Episode 16: To Catch a Duke

8:18 PM ... Season 5 Episode 21: Farewell Hazzard

9:25 PM ... Season 2 Episode 15: Follow That Still

Knowing US TV, there should be plenty of time during commercials to swap discs as they jump around the seasons ;).

Cmt destroyed the dukes oar and chopped top & bottom of screen to make a fake widescreen show, everyone tweet and email and complain about this destruction

Yeah, not liking the cropping, however we are getting a little more picture on the sides than the dvds show. What I'd like to know is who did the cropping. Was this CMT's idea or did Warner Bros crop the picture when they did the new HD masters?

Shame on you CMT. To hype bringing the Dukes like this and then cutting at least 3-5 minutes out One Armed Bandits. It is disapointing especially since the last time you all aired the Dukes in 2010-2012 the episodes were virtually uncut, except for skipping the Vance and Coy episodes after the first run. I can't support the butchering of the show by watching. I'll stick to the dvds I already own.

Shame on you CMT. To hype bringing the Dukes like this and then cutting at least 3-5 minutes out One Armed Bandits. It is disapointing especially since the last time you all aired the Dukes in 2010-2012 the episodes were virtually uncut, except for skipping the Vance and Coy episodes after the first run. I can't support the butchering of the show by watching. I'll stick to the dvds I already own.

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. I have REALLY noticed how many more commercials they have on CMT now. Horrible. :(

I understand the complaints and I agree but I'm just so happy it's back on the air I'm not focusing on it.

I'm just SOOOOO excited about this. I know where I'll be every night at 8 (EST).

I only watched two of the episodes during the marathon but 8:00 weeknights is a great time for me. Knowing there's millions of Dukes fans watching it at the same time I am really puts a big smile on this old redneck's face!

Here is CMT's official reply...

"We wish we could show the entire episodes, but we have to fit them into our normal programming time with normal commercial time. We apologize and hope you'll keep watching."

I just hate to see this show treated like this. It is the '80s generation's "Andy Griffith Show" and I just hate to see it in any other form than what was intended.

Just watching "Double Sting" tonight, there is an obvious difference from the dvd at the very beginning where the Dukes are run off the road. On the dvd, this scene looks like it takes place at dusk and both cars are using their headlights to see. On the hd print, this scene is much brighter and looks like it was filmed in broad daylight. Its funny seeing the cars with headlights on in the middle of the day.

We rarely got to see night scenes. I guess in Hazzard, sometimes when its night its still day.

Just watching "Double Sting" tonight, there is an obvious difference from the dvd at the very beginning where the Dukes are run off the road. On the dvd, this scene looks like it takes place at dusk and both cars are using their headlights to see. On the hd print, this scene is much brighter and looks like it was filmed in broad daylight. Its funny seeing the cars with headlights on in the middle of the day.

We rarely got to see night scenes. I guess in Hazzard, sometimes when its night its still day.

They shot this "day for night", meaning they use filters while filming during the day so it looks like night. Well, the HD version looks like broad daylight. We noticed this last night while we were watching too.

Like Roth, I haven't had a chance to see the "HD" versions, but I wonder why they brightened this scene to look like daytime. After reading the other comments about the way the picture has been cropped and scenes have been left out, would it be wrong to surmise that the person converting this episode didn't know or care about the context? It was probably just run through a computer on automatic settings to "improve" the contrast and levels. If WB ever release a new version on Blu-Ray (the picture quality on the current DVDs could be bettered), I hope they get someone who cares about the end results to do the transfer - I'm not holding my breath!

I don't know much about movie editing but here's my thought

Can't it be they asked WB to make an HD version for them? This could mean the original show had some lighting levels edited in later, sort of post processing? And for a HD version they wanted to add new lighting so took the recordings from before post processing and forgot to make this one nighttime.

I don't think WB did the remastering just for CMT. Knowing how tight Warners is with money, I have to believe they have other plans for these new prints. Plus, I really don't think CMT could or would have invested the money for new prints of their own. Warners probably offered the new prints to CMT since they are the ones who last aired the series and are now gauging the reaction to see if its viable for them to release blu rays. Just my guess.

Also just my guess about the Double Sting scene, as I understand it, when making new HD prints you have to go back to the original film elements. In this case before the color grading was applied. Someone didn't know or forgot to properly grade that scene. This will come up again in other episodes. It will be interesting to see if WB fixes it on any later release. I doubt it.

I wonder if WB made any full frame HD prints. I would really think twice about buying cropped episodes. Anyone know if there's any precedent for a company to sell cropped AND uncropped seasons on blu ray? Is a cropped picture a deal breaker for you?