2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

I'm so sorry that Jeff Gordon didn't make The Chase Garrett. I feel so bad for you. Missing it by a single point is hard to believe. I was going crazy while watching it because it looked like he was going to pull it off but it just wasn't to be.

For what it's worth I thought he was awesome in his after-race interview.....very gracious....definitely not one of those spoiled brat losers you see a lot of. He's a real class act.

Well the Richmond race has just gotten over and this 24 fan is highly disappointed so will try my best to be objective to it all. :roll:

Jeff Gordon started the night off on pole and led the first 49 laps before falling back rather quickly. Brad Keselowski led the most laps before getting into a confrontation with Kevin Harvick that kinda slid him back. Kurt Busch had a great race to finish second and earn a spot in the Chase.

Jimmie Johnson started in the back since he didn't qualify his car and was faced with several troubles from battery issues and then later brought out the caution when his tire blew.

Then running fifteenth, Jeff Gordon had to go into pits with a loose tire...which put him two laps down. He raced himself up to a lap down before winning the lucky dog. He was in and out of the Chase all night today. He was in by two points ahead of Joey Logano who was having a rough race and two laps down...when Clint Bowyer spun out to bring out the caution with four laps to go.

Carl Edwards went on to win the race with Kurt Busch second. Jeff Gordon missed this year's Chase by ONE point to Joey Logano. I think Jeff Gordon sums it up perfectly when he wrote on Facebook "Heartbreaking". Gonna be a long ten races knowing he has no shot at the championship but it is what it is and despite whatever happens, will always be a proud Jeff Gordon fan.

Here is the top TEN finishes:

1. Carl Edwards

2. Kurt Busch

3. Ryan Newman

4. Jamie McMurray

5. Paul Menard

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Martin Truex Jr.

8. Jeff Gordon

9. Mark Martin

10. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

Here is what the Chase will look like:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Kyle Busch

4. Kevin Harvick

5. Carl Edwards

6. Joey Logano

7. Greg Biffle

8. Clint Bowyer

9. Dale Earnhardt Jr

10. Kurt Busch

11. Kasey Kahne

12. Martin Truex Jr

Onto Chicagoland next Sunday afternoon....

10. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

I'm sorry that JG missed out, but I'm happy with this result. Ricky had a solid race (even though I hardly saw him on screen), and was never off the lead lap. He seemed to struggle slightly after the start and each restart, but made up places just before the stops. I found it hard to keep up with all the position changes over the last 20 laps, with drivers slipping in and out of The Chase. I even thought Ricky would be denied a top ten finish when he fell to twelfth after the Bowyer caution, but he must've made up two places on the last lap.

I'm so sorry that Jeff Gordon didn't make The Chase Garrett. I feel so bad for you. Missing it by a single point is hard to believe. I was going crazy while watching it because it looked like he was going to pull it off but it just wasn't to be.

For what it's worth I thought he was awesome in his after-race interview.....very gracious....definitely not one of those spoiled brat losers you see a lot of. He's a real class act.

Thank you Roger....I think it being by only one point is what makes that much worse. But he did give it his all and never gave up. Even after his crew didn't put the tire on all the way and he had to go back in to put him two laps down. To finish eight after all that shows just how hard he worked. Sadly eighth wasn't enough for the Chase.

I will have to look up his post race interview...I was disappointed and had turned it off as soon as the race had ended. Plus had family over that was leaving at the same time. I did read what he said though and thought that was super big of him to say what he did despite how disappointed he must have been. He is definitely a class act. And no...he is definitely not one of those spoiled brat losers...

Thanks Roger. :)

I'm sorry that JG missed out, but I'm happy with this result. Ricky had a solid race (even though I hardly saw him on screen), and was never off the lead lap. He seemed to struggle slightly after the start and each restart, but made up places just before the stops. I found it hard to keep up with all the position changes over the last 20 laps, with drivers slipping in and out of The Chase. I even thought Ricky would be denied a top ten finish when he fell to twelfth after the Bowyer caution, but he must've made up two places on the last lap.

I am glad you mentioned the whole Bowyer spin out, Hoss, because that is a very highly controversial ordeal in the NASCAR world right now as it is being said that Bowyer spun out intentionally to bring out that last caution. When Bowyer spun out, Ryan Newman was leading (his crew told him this on the radio right before his car supposedly started to have problems and spun out) and most likely would have won the race. Which would have given Ryan Newman a wild card position in the Chase and would take Bowyer's teammate Martin Truex Jr. out of the Chase. So when Bowyer spun out and the caution came out and with the pit stops...Carl Edwards came out on lead and ended up winning the race. Which took the win and the wild card position away from Newman and gave it back to Bowyer's teammate Martin Truex Jr. (also is what took the point away from Gordon and gave it back to Logano. In case y'all have forgotten (I haven't ;) ) Bowyer and Gordon has a history of not getting along with each other.).

I have my opinion on the ordeal (you can probably guess what it is) but I will post the video of Bowyer's in car camera before he spun out and the communication he had with his crew before on the radio. Also interview of Bowyer, Earnhardt Jr who was behind him (who Bowyer is trying to blame...despite Jr not even touch his car), and then Martin's interview. Here is the video...feel free to say what you think...

"Did you spin on purpose to help your team mate?"

"No, I think we had a flat tire or something."

Bowyer doesn't seem too keen to make eye contact as he gives his answer. It also looks like he's basically saying "There was a good reason for my spin, honest. As soon as we've thought of it, we'll tell you". I noticed the commentators were also dubious of one of the debris cautions, saying that certain drivers (sorry, I forgot which) were calling in debris reports because they needed to pit.

"Did you spin on purpose to help your team mate?"

"No, I think we had a flat tire or something."

Bowyer doesn't seem too keen to make eye contact as he gives his answer. It also looks like he's basically saying "There was a good reason for my spin, honest. As soon as we've thought of it, we'll tell you". I noticed the commentators were also dubious of one of the debris cautions, saying that certain drivers (sorry, I forgot which) were calling in debris reports because they needed to pit.

No...Bowyer was looking everywhere but at Jamie Little during his interview. (Though John Darby...he is one of the leaders in NASCAR organization, don't know his title off hand. It was reported on Facebook that he supposedly looked that the video and thinks Bowyer's spin was unintentional. Though of all that I am reading of fans and what not on Facebook...he is so far the ONLY ONE that I know of to think that...)

I didn't even catch the debris report...I knew they had a caution for a debris (maybe two.) I wish I could help you on that one Hoss. Makes you wonder...why can't they just race?

Also in question was the final restart. Even the reporters during the post race show (I turned it back on for a minute) made a statement that Carl Edwards jumped the restart...and NASCAR gave him the win anyway..(or something like that). Don't get me wrong...I like Carl Edwards and was happy to see him win, but if he jumped the restart, NASCAR should've docked him for it. Several races ago, Jimmie Johnson was accused of jumping the restart (though I think half of his problem was that Juan Pablo Montoya didn't get going on the restart...) and NASCAR put JJ back of the longest line. And yet Edwards does it...and gets the win?

Once again, we are back to NASCAR's lack of consistency with their penalties...

I didn't even catch the debris report...I knew they had a caution for a debris (maybe two.) I wish I could help you on that one Hoss. Makes you wonder...why can't they just race?

There were debris cautions on laps 135, 267 and 343 (I still have my "lap-by-lap" window open!), although I don't remember seeing the debris on-screen this week.

I'd forgotten about the alleged jump start at the end. In my defense, it was really late here :).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/09/08/clint-bowyer-spin-martin-truex-jr-ryan-newman-chase-richmond/2781487/

Well NASCAR is saying that they are investigating the race from last night and won't say anymore until they come out with penalties or whatever they decide to do with what had happened. My guess they won't do anything...they punished Dale Jr several years ago when he intentionally spun out to save himself at Bristol...but only when he was talking about it afterwards. So I am doubting that anything will be done about it...but am hoping that I am wrong. LOL

Also in question was the final restart. Even the reporters during the post race show (I turned it back on for a minute) made a statement that Carl Edwards jumped the restart...and NASCAR gave him the win anyway..(or something like that). Don't get me wrong...I like Carl Edwards and was happy to see him win, but if he jumped the restart, NASCAR should've docked him for it. Several races ago, Jimmie Johnson was accused of jumping the restart (though I think half of his problem was that Juan Pablo Montoya didn't get going on the restart...) and NASCAR put JJ back of the longest line. And yet Edwards does it...and gets the win?

Once again, we are back to NASCAR's lack of consistency with their penalties...

I don't think he jumped the restart, I think he hit the gas at the same time Paul Menard did, but the Menard's wheels spun and Menard made a bit of contact with Edwards. It's not like Carl could have held off the gas when he saw Paul had spun his wheels. That could have caused a bigger accident.

Well NASCAR is saying that they are investigating the race from last night and won't say anymore until they come out with penalties or whatever they decide to do with what had happened. My guess they won't do anything...

If they find that Bowyer did something wrong, maybe NASCAR should set Mike Skeen's girlfriend on him :).

If they find that Bowyer did something wrong, maybe NASCAR should set Mike Skeen's girlfriend on him :).

Thanks for the laugh Hoss...sounds like fair punishment to me! :D

Lizzy - you may be right, but that didn't stop NASCAR from punishing Jimmie Johnson a few weeks ago when he supposedly jumped the restart due to Juan Pablo Montoya laying back...or not getting started on his restart. Honestly, I didn't catch the restart until I turned the post race back on for a minute and the announcers were saying that Edwards may have jumped the restart. Personally I like Edwards so am happy for him to get the win, but if NASCAR is to punish one driver, it should go to all the drivers. Not just the ones they think should be punished...

Well y'all...I don't even know where to start with all this mess. NASCAR has went through Saturday night's race at Richmond...investigating Clint Bowyer's spin out at the end of the race that ultimately took Ryan Newman out of the Chase and put Bowyer's team mate, Martin Truex Jr in the Chase...also had taken out Jeff Gordon out of the Chase.

Despite how obvious it is to me that Bowyer's spin out on purpose, I had assumed NASCAR wouldn't see it that way and wouldn't do anything about it.

Well NASCAR has came out and said that they went through the tapes and what not and find Bowyer's actions and his communication with his crew to mean that Bowyer deliberately spun out...in turn to change the outcome of the race.

I should be happy right? Well I am not... :( I have no clue what NASCAR is thinking by their punishment to Michael Waltrip (who owns Bowyer's, Truex Jr's and Vicker's cars...and to Clint Bowyer.

Ultimately what NASCAR has done is they took Martin Truex Jr (who had NOTHING to do with the spin and as far as I know, had no idea it even happened!) out of the Chase and has put Ryan Newman back in the Chase.

They have fined Michael Waltrip 50 car owner points...and Bowyer 50 championship points. Though (get this...) Bowyer's point reduction won't go towards the Chase. So therefore he will be going into the Chase with as many points as he was before this punishment...and will be seeded seventh in the Chase.

Michael Waltrip was fined $300,000. Truex Jr's and Bowyer's crew cheifs were put on probation until the end of the year.

And oh yeah...Jeff Gordon, who was also affected by Bowyer's move (as well as Waltrip pulling Vickers into pits...) is still outside of the Chase.

Am I the only one having a hard time understanding what NASCAR is thinking in all of this? Bowyer barely gets slapped with anything...who was the one who spun out on purpose!....while Truex Jr is pulled out due to Bowyer...and didn't have a play in it?! Don't get me wrong, I am happy Ryan Newman got in since he was one of the drivers robbed of the Chase by Bowyer. If NASCAR wants to pull anyone...it should be the driver who did the act. My opinion...

Here is the article I read...feel free to give your opinion - as long as it is respectful. ;)

NASCAR's Punishment for Bowyer's intentional Spin

I think I've mentioned this before, but something similar happened in F1 back in 2008. Nelson Piquet Jr. deliberately crashed at the Singapore Grand Prix to bring out a safety car (similar to a caution) and help his team mate. The main difference is that nobody suspected anything until the end of the season when Piquet was dropped by the team and revealed what happened. Two of the team were given five year bans from the sport, and although these were subsequently overturned, they both agreed to leave the sport for a while. In addition, the team's main sponsored pulled out because they didn't want to associated with cheating. You can read the Wikipedia page about the controversy here.

I can't find any punishment that was given to the team (Renault). I think it was decided that this was a scheme conconcted by the driver and two team members rather than being a team decision. They did get a suspended ban and were told they be kicked out of the sport if anything similar happened again. Piquet was given immunity for his evidence.

the main sponsor who pulled out of the sport was Dutch ING Bank. funnily enough, the year after ALO's new teammate Romain Grosjean crashed in the same corner. Grosjean was later dropped by the team to be hired back by the same team (now called Lotus) in 2012 where he still drives today. BTW, Piquet got dropped after the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, not at the end of the 2008 season.

The next F1 race is the Singapore night race where Piquet crashed deliberately.

If this was an F1 thread I would have written much more about it.

Anyway, back on topic. :p Piquet is driving in NASCAR now I believe.

BTW, Piquet got dropped after the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, not at the end of the 2008 season.

My bad :oops:

Anyway, back on topic. :p Piquet is driving in NASCAR now I believe.

Looks like he competes in the Camping World Truck Series and Nationwide Series of NASCAR, but hasn't raced in the Sprint Cup Series yet. I think JPM is the only ex-F1 driver who's regularly in Sprint at the moment, although Max Papis got a race a few weeks ago and Scott Speed races from time to time.

I don't know much about Max Papis but I believe Scott Speed drove a Toro Rosso?

I have watched the first 3 races of this years Sprint cup Series but i'm no fan of oval racing, so I wanted to watch the Watkins Glen International race but I forgot. :oops: And Circuit Gilles Villeneuve isn't on the NASCAR calendar anymore. :-? It's one of my favorite circuits and those races before seemed good. Oh well... another chance next year.

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a great circuit on F1 2012, I did a 1:10:2xx sometime. :p

I have watched the first 3 races of this years Sprint cup Series but i'm no fan of oval racing, so I wanted to watch the Watkins Glen International race but I forgot. :oops: And Circuit Gilles Villeneuve isn't on the NASCAR calendar anymore. :-? It's one of my favorite circuits and those races before seemed good. Oh well... another chance next year.

I'm still getting used to oval racing, and some tracks are definitely more entertaining than others. To be fair, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is no longer on the NASCAR circuit, but Watkins Glen is no longer an F1 circuit. I'm guessing you also missed Sonoma, the other road course. Personally, I'd like a couple more road courses. Did you see Lewis Hamilton and Tony Stewart swap cars at Watkins Glen a couple of years ago? BTW. You're right about Scott Speed driving for Scuderia Toro Rosso. Max Papis drove in seven races for Footwork in 1995.

I'm still getting used to oval racing, and some tracks are definitely more entertaining than others. To be fair, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is no longer on the NASCAR circuit, but Watkins Glen is no longer an F1 circuit. I'm guessing you also missed Sonoma, the other road course. Personally, I'd like a couple more road courses. Did you see Lewis Hamilton and Tony Stewart swap cars at Watkins Glen a couple of years ago? BTW. You're right about Scott Speed driving for Scuderia Toro Rosso. Max Papis drove in seven races for Footwork in 1995.

You two got quite the nerve hijacking my thread for your own series of racing :-o:roll:especially during a time like this...geesh! :roll:;)

Well I probably should put this in the news section, but aw well...

Jeff Burton will be leaving the 31 CAT car at Richard Childress Racing at the end of the year and Ryan "Rocketman" Newman will be taking over the 31 car starting the 2014 season.

You two got quite the nerve hijacking my thread for your own series of racing :-o:roll:especially during a time like this...geesh! :roll:;)

Occasionally we have to remind y'all about drivers who can turn the steering wheel in both directions ;).

Also, F1 tends to be harsher but more consistent with its penalties.

In all of yesterday's excitement, it's easy to forget that there's still a race tomorrow (Sunday). Joey Logano was fastest in yesterday's qualifying, with Brad Keselowski and JPM just behind him. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. just beat yesterday's "Lucky Dog" (;)), Jeff Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson qualified his own car this week to make it into the top ten.

1 Joey Logano

2 Brad Keselowski

3 Juan Pablo Montoya

4 Kasey Kahne

5 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

6 Jeff Gordon

7 Greg Biffle

8 Carl Edwards

9 Jimmie Johnson

10 Matt Kenseth

11 Paul Menard

12 Kyle Busch

13 AJ Allmendinger

14 Martin Truex Jr

15 Aric Almirola

16 Kurt Busch

17 Kevin Harvick

18 Dale Earnhardt Jr

19 David Ragan

20 Ryan Newman

21 Jeff Burton

22 Denny Hamlin

23 Danica Patrick

24 Clint Bowyer

25 Brian Vickers

26 Marcos Ambrose

27 Jamie McMurray

28 Cole Whitt

29 Mark Martin

30 J.J. Yeley

31 Casey Mears

32 Landon Cassill

33 David Reutimann

34 Josh Wise

35 David Gilliland

36 Justin Allgaier

37 Travis Kvapil

38 Michael McDowell

39 Timmy Hill

40 Reed Sorenson

41 Dave Blaney

42 Joe Nemechek

43 Tony Raines

It's a shame that none of the drivers is called Jake, allowing me to make some sort of 'Blues Brothers' reference to Joliet Jake. Nonetheless, the GEICO 400 at Chicagoland Speedway, Joliet, IL starts at 2:00 PM ET on ESPN.