Videos With Denver Pyle

HossC

Last week I added to a thread called Videos with Peggy Rea, so I thought I'd start one for videos of Denver. I was going to begin with one of his westerns until I realized that his movie debut is available on YouTube. The name of the movie is 'The Guilt of Janet Ames', and its story centers around a war widow looking for the five men saved by her husband. She has a list of their names, and wants to find out if their lives were worth saving. Denver's part was uncredited, and IMDb just lists it as "Masher". I don't know whether masher is old slang or American slang, because I'd never heard it before (to me it's a kitchen utensil used with potatoes!). A quick look online told me it meant "a man who attempts to force his attentions on a woman". Although I didn't initially recognize him, there's only one character that fits that description, a he appears less than two minutes in. I'm sure I can hear a little of Uncle Jesse in his voice when he says "Buy you a little something to eat, maybe?". As well as being Denver's movie debut, it was also the second movie that Sid Caesar appeared in (he got third place in the billing!). The link below is actually for the YouTube playlist so you can easily watch all six parts:

The Guilt of Janet Ames (1947)

Here's a screengrab of the man I believe to be a 26- or 27-year-old Denver Pyle. The lady on the left is the eponymous Janet Ames, played by Rosalind Russell.

DenverJanetAmes.jpg

After reading the introduction it probably won't surprise y'all to hear that the second video I've chosen is from a western. 'The Range Rider' ran for 78 episodes between 1951 and 1953, and Denver played various roles in 14 of them. The only one of his episodes I could find on YouTube is 'Rustler's Range' (S02E09) in which he played one the bad guys, Vincent Frost. There's nearly another Dukes connection in this episode - one of the henchmen was played by Al Wyatt Sr, father of Dukes stuntman Al Wyatt Jr (this episode aired at the start of 1952, about 10 months before Al Jr was born).

NB. There's a short intro (1:45) before the episode starts.

Here's a screengrab of Denver alongside Ruth Brady who played Thelma Frost:

DenverRangeRider.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great pictures Hoss. Thanks for posting them.

I couldn't even tell that was him on the top one but there's no doubting that's him on the horse.

That's interesting about Al Wyatt Jr's birth.

The masher comment is also interesting. I would have thought that it was a moonshiner since they call it mash at some point in the process.

Here's a screengrab of the man I believe to be a 26- or 27-year-old Denver Pyle. The lady on the left is the eponymous Janet Ames, played by Rosalind Russell.

DenverJanetAmes.jpg

Dang he was quite dapper looking! I watched the beginning of the movie just to see and hear and yeah, it's him. A little smoother in the voice but you can hear it's him. Wow! :D