Quiz!!

James Duke

Here's a quiz for everyone. Give your answer and explain why you would need that number of cans. We'll see who gets it right first ;)

Here's the question: If you planned to drink a can of root beer for every hour it's your birthday somewhere on Earth, how many cans would you need to buy?

That depends on a few things. Are we using only 24 standard time zones or the 40 world time zones? And when do you start drinking? The minute the clock strikes your birthday or an hour in? Also, where are you? If you're in the US, there are several parts of the world where it's already the day after your birthday. Should we just assume you're living in the Pacific Ocean like Samoa or Tonga so you get the longest possible birthday? ;) (You know me, I have to complicate things.)

... how many cans would you need to buy?

It all depends on whether or not this is a trick question.

My serious answer is that the 40 time zones mentioned by Mufn go from UTC+14 to UTC-12, which gives 27 different hours for my birthday to start. Allowing an hour for each of the first 26 plus the full 24-hour day for the 27th I get to a total of 50 hours and therefore 50 cans of root beer.

If it's a trick question, then my answer is zero - my reasoning being that if it's my birthday I shouldn't have to buy any of the drinks :).

It all depends on whether or not this is a trick question.

My serious answer is that the 40 time zones mentioned by Mufn go from UTC+14 to UTC-12, which gives 27 different hours for my birthday to start. Allowing an hour for each of the first 26 plus the full 24-hour day for the 27th I get to a total of 50 hours and therefore 50 cans of root beer.

If it's a trick question, then my answer is zero - my reasoning being that if it's my birthday I shouldn't have to buy any of the drinks :).

lol you're close, but off just a tad. I'll let everyone keep guessing until you all give up :)