Dukes not on CMT?

K-Duke15

I search Dukes of Hazzard on Time Warner Cable and there are no more showings other than the ones that will be on at 1 and 2 A.M. tomorrow. Could they not be showing it anymore?

I'm afraid you might be right. I checked the national listings for the next two weeks, and I'm not finding it on CMT.

I'll keep an eye open for news - but sometimes y'all are on top of things before I am. If anybody finds out something, feel welcome to post here.

I had that thought when I first read this thread. :( What a shame if it is true. But at least it is on DVD...

Yah. And I guess if it doesn't come back on, I can beg my parents to get me the dvds for my birthday or christmas. But it will be sad to not have it on tv.:cry:

Awright, I checked CMT's website today, and it still shows the Dukes on. The next airdate per CMT is March 13th at 2 a.m. eastern, for the episode, "Deputy Dukes."

And lo, when I checked the national listings ( I use IMDB.com's TV listings, if ya'll are curious) this matches up. But I swear it wasn't there yesterday when I looked, because I went out as far as it goes, like two weeks, and worked my way back every dang day, and there wasn't any Dukes on CMT.

:wtf:

I think they're just tryin' to drive me nuts. Anyhow, based up what I see today - no promises it'll be there tomorrow - the Dukes are still on CMT, after a few days break.

Awright, I checked CMT's website today, and it still shows the Dukes on. The next airdate per CMT is March 13th at 2 a.m. eastern, for the episode, "Deputy Dukes."

You're right Brian. They will continue showing Dukes. It does start on the 13th at 2 and then it will continue with it's normal showings. I'm so happy to have the cable box in my parent's bedroom cause that's where I record these and watch them. This will be my 3rd round of watching it on CMT.

As Rosco would say, "I love it, I love it." :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is why we need ta gang up and git right after CMT fer dis! I only watch CMT just for DOH, instead they provide other (weirded out wacky) shows'n just ain't gittin a lickin of laughter!

Yep, yer from Virginia. I'd recognize the dialect anywhere.

When I visited Virginia the first time, I didn't speak the language. I had trouble communicating at a truck stop restaurant.

It started when the waitress was describing appetizer specials. She asked if we wanted to try their "onion pills."

I was like, "Onion..pills?" Picturing tiny, pea-sized onions deep fried into a speck.

She's like, "No, piieeeels!"

Oh! Onion Peels. Ok. Yes, onion pills all around. I managed the universal translation for "hamburger" and got that ordered. Then she asks what I want to drink. She says:

"We gaht Coke, Sprite, rit beir and arnge."

Wait...what was that last one?

"ARNGE!"

I looked at her blankly. She huffs and goes, "Arnge! You know, like, arnge cree-ush!"

Orange Crush! I'm learning. To pay it safe, though, I had a Coke.

If you really wanna change it up, make sure you have about three pieces of chewing gum in your mouth at the same time. I tried to talk to a guy from Tennessee once, and between the twang of his words and the gum he was chewing, it sounded like he had a mouthful of rubber bands. Plus he'd lived up north for awhile so he was talking 90 miles an hour.

Fortunately I found an interpreter from Kentucky and I managed to get an answer to my question.

Ah nevah drawl mahself, tho'.

And now I'd better shut up. Back to our program!

I'm goin' to join in real fast and say that here in Ohio, we have no acent whats-so-ever. Me and my friend were even talking about this. We figured out that we have a farmer's acent (what ever that sounds like). But me I some how get a southern acent even though I never lived down there.

Brian, don't feel bad, there's words that come out of my mouth you wouldn't understand either.... especially if I'm upset.

Being stuck between north and south, I have a toned down southern accent. Well, it's a Southern Delaware accent mixed with North Carolina and Virginia. I grew up in Northern Delaware where the Delaware accent has disappeared to be replaced with Philadelphia and New York, but, I spent a good deal of time with my mother and grandparents who had the Delaware, North Carolina, and Virginia accents. The actual Delaware accent is disappearing in this day and age. Very unfortunate. I usually get asked if I'm from out of state, with only one person, when I was out of state, correctly guessing the Delaware accent.

I can understand most southerners quite well, only meeting a few who had a drawl so thick I had to have them slow down when they talked... and of course, that was on the phone so there was also static playing into there too.

My favorite that confuses many folks, which is a DelMarVa word which extends to parts of West Virginia and Ohio: Creek. With my accent, it's pronounced Crick. Confused many a folk.

My favorite that confuses many folks, which is a DelMarVa word which extends to parts of West Virginia and Ohio: Creek. With my accent, it's pronounced Crick. Confused many a folk.

That is so true. That word is said in a way that can confuse anyone. Luckly I'm one that calls in 'creek' and not 'crick'. It seems weird for me to say it.

That pronunciation immediately reminded me of the accent that Sheldon affects at the end of

from The Big Bang Theory.

I visited Virginia nearly 30 years ago and I don't remember the accent being particularly difficult to understand. Then again, we do get good variety of American accents on British TV. I do remember being asked to show off my "quaint" English accent while I was there.

This thread made me think of the sound of the accent where I was born in England. I went looking for examples and found that I couldn't understand a lot of it myself; in fairness, I did move away from the area when I two. Here's the beginning of a poem by William Barnes - see how y'all get on:

In the zunsheen of our zummers

Wi’ the hay time now a-come,

How busy wer we out a-vield

Wi’ vew a-left at hwome,

When waggons rumbled out ov yard

Red wheeled, wi’ body blue,

And back behind ‘em loudly slamm’d

The geate a’vallen to.

Most British characters in US shows tend to have fairly neutral accents. The only counter-example that springs to mind Daphne Moon's Manchester(ish) accent in Frasier. Maybe US viewer aren't ready to hear regional British voices.

Here's the beginning of a poem by William Barnes - see how y'all get on:

Wi’ vew a-left at hwome,

The geate a’vallen to.

I understood most of the beginning and then I get some words.

Wi’ vew a-left at hwome,

The geate a’vallen to.

In the sunshine of our summers, with the hay time now having come, how busy were we out in the field, with a view to the left of home, when wagons rumbled out of our yard, red wheeled with body blue, and back behind them loudly slammed, the gate a wailing too.

I believe that should be pretty close to what was being said.

I'm probably guessing nearly as much as you, although I've heard the dialect spoken more. I agree with most of your translation, but I think the fourth line is more likely to be "With few left at home". Apparently "Geate a'vallen to" means gate a-falling or the gate closing. It was the last poem Barnes wrote before he died, and the gate is meant to be a metaphor for death (thanks Google :)).

If you want to read the whole poem you can see it here.

I visited Virginia nearly 30 years ago and I don't remember the accent being particularly difficult to understand.

Closer to the state line with D.C., I noticed the accents weren't as pronounced. But out in the rural areas, they could get pretty interesting.

British accents are a blast. I think I found Monty Python shows so funny because they had these refined-sounding accents, but they were saying completely ridiculous things.

From this comic example, British slang sounds like a complete hoot. Proof that English can still be incomprehensible, even if you speak the same language.

And on Television, Hoss, most American accents are toned way down. Usually what you get on TV is a Mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia, New Jersey) accent with a drawl added for the south or where ever they are supposed to be from.

I had a teacher who went to school for journalism who happened to mention this. He mentioned that they would teach the Mid-Atlantic accent to students so they would be more likely to get a job as a news anchor, as the Mid-Atlantic accent is one of the easiest to understand in the US.