Bo and Luke's knives

yea, my dad couldn't quite figure out why i wanted one, and i told him that i just did. so it should be here on monday or so, i cant wait... its coming all the way from North Carolina. i paid $38 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BUCK-110BRS-WOOD-HANDLE-LARGE-FOLDING-HUNTER-KNIFE-W-LEATHER-SHEATH-USA-MADE-/120831864073?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c2223ed09#ht_506wt_905

yea, my dad couldn't quite figure out why i wanted one, and i told him that i just did. so it should be here on monday or so, i cant wait... its coming all the way from North Carolina. i paid $38 on ebay

I've said this before, but people don't routinely own these sort of knives over here. After reading the last post I went to check on something that I vaguely remembered, and I was right: in the UK and Ireland eBay banned the sale of all knives and swords except cutlery back in 2009. Just thought I'd include this FYI:

Change to policy regarding sale of knives on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie

I don't think this affects other internet sites, and you could buy one from a store if you are over 18. It is, however, illegal to sell flick knives, butterfly knives and disguised knives to any age.

i wonder why they did that?

To curb the sales of illegal knives, although it seems a bit over-the-top. It was the result of popular BBC consumer show 'Watchdog' buying knives that are illegal in the UK through the site. The BBC News article is here.

I guess I was still an impressionable kid (at 19 years old) when the Dukes first came out because I always carried around a knife on my belt just like Bo and Luke. At the time there really was no way to tell what brand of knife the Duke boys had so I didn't really care what I had......but you can bet if I would have known what they carried I would have had half a dozen of them!

• 6 months later...
great knife. i carry mine almost everywhere i can. if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it? i bought mine off ebay and spent $35.

I thought about getting one off ebay but never did....then I ended up at the knife factory in TN like I do every year and decided I couldn't live without it any longer so I paid $47.

That makes me think of the Rambo knife made by Jimmie Lile the Arkansas knifemaker. It cost about 700 bucks after the movie came out but is now worth ten times that.

They're making a limited run of 100 "Next Generation" First Blood knives if you're interested. Buy one at the bargain price of just $3500!

Jimmy Lile Next Generation First Blood Knife

• 3 years later...

I have followed the string of discussion and to advise, Luke usually carried the Buck 110 Folding Hunter.  Bo usually carried the Buck Ranger 112.  I have compared the screen shots of closeups and definately saw the Ranger  used by Bo to cut free the ropes as he was in the Jeep scene of the Female Auto Parts wranglers.   Dont know if Bo and Luke used  other brand knives as well on the show. 

What happened to the knives after the show? Did  John and Tom get to keep the knives for memorabilia?

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2012 at 12:59 AM, HossC said:

I know their knives get used quite a bit, but the first scene I remembered was Luke digging out Daisy's bullets from behind the target in 'Officer Daisy Duke'. The screengrab below is the best I could get - I didn't get to see the handle. If you look at the inset picture (where I've tweaked the levels a bit), it appears that the knife is made by Buck. Looking at their website the closest current product I could find is a model called 'Ranger' - check it out here.

I'm going to be away from my DVDs for a few days, so won't be able to look for any more until the start of next week. Maybe someone else will post pics in the meantime.

LukeKnife0217.jpg

In my research I have found that the knife Bo and Luke use is a Buck 110 hunting knife.

• 3 years later...

What I find unique is, in the first 2 episodes Bo and Luke don't wear their knives atall. Episode 3 "Mary Kayes Baby" is when The Boys are seen with the knives for the first time. 

Along with what others have said on good episodes to catch what knives the boys used. In "Arrest Jesse Duke" we not only get to see what knife Bo is using in that episode "Buck 112 Ranger" easily identifiable because of the curved front bolster. But we also see Luke's knife in the same episode. Luke pulls his knife out to unlock the door to the store the car strippers are using to sell the stolen goods. Luke's in that episode is a Buck 110.

Another good episode to catch Luke's knife is "The Rustler's" Luke can be seen using his knife to pick the seeds out of his piece of watermelon. That episode Luke is using a Buck 110

In "Duke vs Duke" and "The Canterbury Crock" Luke is using a Buck 112 Ranger to dig at his finger nails.

The easiest way I've been able to tell what knives the boys are using for a particular episode without actually seeing the knife. Is by studying the sheath. Luke is mostly seen using a Buck 110, but on episodes we don't see him using his knife, he is usually carrying a 112 ranger sheath. The 112 sheath is a good deal smaller than the 110. Bo is mostly seen carrying the 112 sheath and seen using the knife. 

1 hour ago, MoonRunner-01 said:

What I find unique is, in the first 2 episodes Bo and Luke don't wear their knives atall. Episode 3 "Mary Kayes Baby" is when The Boys are seen with the knives for the first time. 

Along with what others have said on good episodes to catch what knives the boys used. In "Arrest Jesse Duke" we not only get to see what knife Bo is using in that episode "Buck 112 Ranger" easily identifiable because of the curved front bolster. But we also see Luke's knife in the same episode. Luke pulls his knife out to unlock the door to the store the car strippers are using to sell the stolen goods. Luke's in that episode is a Buck 110.

Another good episode to catch Luke's knife is "The Rustler's" Luke can be seen using his knife to pick the seeds out of his piece of watermelon. That episode Luke is using a Buck 110

In "Duke vs Duke" and "The Canterbury Crock" Luke is using a Buck 112 Ranger to dig at his finger nails.

The easiest way I've been able to tell what knives the boys are using for a particular episode without actually seeing the knife. Is by studying the sheath. Luke is mostly seen using a Buck 110, but on episodes we don't see him using his knife, he is usually carrying a 112 ranger sheath. The 112 sheath is a good deal smaller than the 110. Bo is mostly seen carrying the 112 sheath and seen using the knife. 

Now, that was an impressive and informative post. Thank you! I never noticed that their knives weren't in the first 2 episodes. Somebody must have had a Eureka moment and realized they would be a good addition. Lucky for us they did! Every country boy was wearing a knife after Dukes came out.....me included! 

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Now, that was an impressive and informative post. Thank you! I never noticed that their knives weren't in the first 2 episodes. Somebody must have had a Eureka moment and realized they would be a good addition. Lucky for us they did! Every country boy was wearing a knife after Dukes came out.....me included! 

Thank you, and your welcome! I am including as well to wearing a knife on my belt. Still do to this very day ha. 

I guess they figured by the 3rd episode that a good ol country boy needs a knife. Like most folks that carry em, from time to time we might use them as a screwdriver. Bo and Luke included. In the beginning of the episode "Repo Men" Bo uses his knife as a screwdriver to adjust the carburetor on The General. 

Another good episode I forgot to mention where you can see a good view of the boy's knives is "Return of the Ridge Raiders" Bo and Luke towards the end are talking with the Ridge Raiders and whittling on a stick.

This topic brings back so many fond memories of my childhood. Before the days of the Internet and whatnot, my knife I carried around pretending to be Bo and Luke was an old Schrade Uncle Henry LB7. Still have it to this very day.