Why do I feel old....?

Val Strate

For all of those who have been around here a while and maybe some new folks that can shed light on this dilema... Why is it, I feel old? Does anyone look in the mirror and go, Gaaaahhhh! in the morning and say, 'Where did the time go?'.

I talk to people younger than me all the time and they tell me they love the Dukes but can't tell me a thing about the show. Yes the Dukes of Hazzard is Iconic we all know and are greatful, but as a fan of the orginial, do you ever get that longing, mid-life crisis feeling of 'I wish I could see John and Tom as Bo and Luke again!'. I guess I came up with a solution answer to my own question, 'Pop in a DVD'. But then when it's over you have that Napoleon Dynamite voice, saying, 'Gosh! I am so old..."

Just a reflection here in the perverbial pond of life... Tossing a pebble in to see the ripples it may create or will it sink into the bottom of the pond without hardly a sound?

Maybe I'm having "Cabin Writer's Fever"....

Who knows...

Hooo.... hooo! Rosco P. Coltrane... That's Who!

*laughs* I crack myself up... into tiny peices. Ooo one fell on the floor. Opps, made a mess.

For all of those who have been around here a while and maybe some new folks that can shed light on this dilema... Why is it, I feel old? Does anyone look in the mirror and go, Gaaaahhhh! in the morning and say, 'Where did the time go?'.

I talk to people younger than me all the time and they tell me they love the Dukes but can't tell me a thing about the show. Yes the Dukes of Hazzard is Iconic we all know and are greatful, but as a fan of the orginial, do you ever get that longing, mid-life crisis feeling of 'I wish I could see John and Tom as Bo and Luke again!'. I guess I came up with a solution answer to my own question, 'Pop in a DVD'. But then when it's over you have that Napoleon Dynamite voice, saying, 'Gosh! I am so old..."

Just a reflection here in the perverbial pond of life... Tossing a pebble in to see the ripples it may create or will it sink into the bottom of the pond without hardly a sound?

Maybe I'm having "Cabin Writer's Fever"....

Who knows...

Hooo.... hooo! Rosco P. Coltrane... That's Who!

*laughs* I crack myself up... into tiny peices. Ooo one fell on the floor. Opps, made a mess.

I guess is would depend on a person's life experiences and what they're experiencing currently?

I think we all feel that way at some point or another (those of us that, uh, are old enough to start feelin' that way LOL).

But ya know, Val, it's not so much where did the time go, but was it well spent? We're all getting older and can't stop that from happening. I don't believe in any kind of age limit, that is, that when we reach a certain age we can no longer do whatever. I think as long as we stay young in spirit (and watchin' the Dukes helps with that, khee!) looking in the mirror and thinking "boy I'm old!" shouldn't last for more than a moment. Yeah, I'm older. A little wiser (hopefully) and ya know what....I ain't dead yet. So I'm gonna go out there and face the world and make it blink. Kheeehaaa.... :)

"Here's the best part, you'll have a head start...if you are amongst the very young at heart..."

Despite the few gray hairs starting to show on my head, I'm still a big kid at heart. You can't help the physical changes, but you can control the attitude. Remember, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. :D

I fully intend to follow Miz Tisdale's lead and be lead footin' around town as long as I'm able.

Val, you've reminded me of one of my favorite sayings, "You're only young once but you can be immature forever."

The Dukes of Hazzard does make me feel young because no matter how many times I watch it the folks on there haven't gotten any older and since they're like family to me, that means I haven't gotten any older. That's one reason I don't even own the reunion shows. I don't want to be reminded that Boss died and I don't want to see my hero Jesse looking frail. They completely ruined the fantasy for me so I just pretend they were never made.

On the movie "Field of Dreams" James Earl Jones says (something like) "The one thing you could always count on is baseball."

Well, Uncle Roger Duke is telling you, The one thing you can always count on is The Dukes of Hazzard. (After God and family, of course).

So take the advice of MaryAnne and watch the Dukes of Hazzard to stay young in spirit.

And take my advice and throw yourself into the fantasy. It sounds like you are turning the fantasy off as soon as you pop the DVD out of the machine. I'm sure you've heard the joke "I went to the doctor and told him it hurts when I do this and his response was, don't do that." If it hurts when you stop watching an episode then stop watching Dukes altogether. JUST KIDDING! If it hurts after you watch an episode then you shouldn't have made the mistake of shutting your young spirit off when the DVD went off. Keep the episode in your heart and it will keep you feeling young.

Meadowmufn made a good point about Miz Tisdale. Look at some of the old timers on the show like her, Uncle Jesse, Swamp Molly and Hard Luck Jones. They were young at heart. You can follow their example.....put please don't ride any wheelies like Miz Tisdale. She's been doing that since motorcycles were invented and she's a trained professional postmistress dirt biker.

And in my blissful fantasy world, she'll never stop.

Edited by RogerDuke

My cousins have already issued wise words, and I'll add the little I can in that respect.

Time can go by alarmingly fast. Changes happen in the blink of an eye. But surrounding yourself by what is good, what is positive, can make a difference.

Jimmie Best is what...85 years old? I know his secret. He laughs his fool head off as often as possible. In real life, he's a goofball. More sharp-witted than Rosco, but just as fun-loving and silly when ya get right down to it. And he always has goals, dreams, schemes. I respect the man enormously, not for his celebrity status, but for the lessons about life I've learned from the moments I've had in his company.

Roger mentioned the reunion movies and not liking them. I know it was hard to see Denver Pyle looking so old. The man was fighting cancer when the first Dukes reunion movie was being filmed. He'd go to chemo, then come back to the set. That is dedication, and shows how much he loved being on the Dukes of Hazzard. He could have said, "I'm sick, I can't do it," and no one would have thought any less of him, but he was there. I like to think that being involved in the reunion movie gave him something positive to do, something else to think about. It may have even added to his days. He survived through filming, and lived to see the tv movie broadcast. He left us several months after the first reunion was aired.

There is great power in having positive-minded companions. The Dukes always ended the show on an upbeat note. If we all try to end each day the same way - with a happy ending, or at least an attitude of gratitude - then we have pretty good odds of having things turn out alright, and making the most of what we have in the here and now.

Jimmie Best is what...85 years old? I know his secret. He laughs his fool head off as often as possible. In real life, he's a goofball. More sharp-witted than Rosco, but just as fun-loving and silly when ya get right down to it. And he always has goals, dreams, schemes. I respect the man enormously, not for his celebrity status, but for the lessons about life I've learned from the moments I've had in his company.

That's very true. I've had some tear inducing, gut busting laughs with Jimmie. I've also been witness to the other side of the emotional coin with him, so to speak. But laughter is what balances out the highs and lows and keeps us young. If you can't laugh at life, if you can't laugh at yourself, you'll grow old very quickly.

I also forgot to mention when speaking of those gray hairs, it was Brian and MaryAnne that gave 'em to me. Khee! :escape:

I also forgot to mention when speaking of those gray hairs, it was Brian and MaryAnne that gave 'em to me. Khee! :escape:

That may be true.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the pancake...

And somebody needs to take the keyboard away from you after midnight because you turn into a lunatic! That was one of my better speechifys back there. You capped the moment with a flapjack on a hound.

Plus, now I'm hungry.

As far as I can tell it was Groucho Marx that said "A man's only as old as the woman he feels". If that's true, then at present I must be ageless (:) or :( depending on your point of view).

It could've been worse. It could have been a flapjack on a ferris wheel. I'll leave that for Hoss to photoshop. LOL.

I couldn't find the pictures I wanted to do that one. Is one of Rosco's quotes acceptable as an alternative?.

JudasPriest.jpg

Hey, if we all are here on this board, talking EVERY day 'bout DOH, writing fanfiction, having fun, well, I think we're not old at all (I mean... INSIDE).

And DOH's characters are all alive and young in our hearts: what are fanfic and fan-art? A way to stay young, and to remember every DOH's character as they were in those fabulous years.

As far as I can tell it was Groucho Marx that said "A man's only as old as the woman he feels". If that's true, then at present I must be ageless (:) or :( depending on your point of view).

I couldn't find the pictures I wanted to do that one. Is one of Rosco's quotes acceptable as an alternative?.

JudasPriest.jpg

That is epic, Hoss. Mind if I use that on our Facebook page? I might have to attempt the flapjacks on a ferris wheel myself. We could try for a possum on a gumbush, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to see what buzzards on a buzzsaw look like, especially if the buzzsaw is running... ick.

That is epic, Hoss. Mind if I use that on our Facebook page? I might have to attempt the flapjacks on a ferris wheel myself. We could try for a possum on a gumbush, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to see what buzzards on a buzzsaw look like, especially if the buzzsaw is running... ick.

My mind obviously doesn't work like yours Mufn ;). I thought buzzards on a buzzsaw would look like this:

Buzzsaw.jpg

Feel free to use the pony picture on Facebook. I'll leave you to figure out the possums and flapjack :).

I like to think that being involved in the reunion movie gave him something positive to do, something else to think about. It may have even added to his days. He survived through filming, and lived to see the tv movie broadcast. He left us several months after the first reunion was aired.

Very nice thinking Brain....uh, I mean Brian. I never thought about this and it made me feel much better about the first reunion show. It really makes a lot of sense and I appreciate you posting it. I still don't plan on watching it again but it brings me comfort knowing that there's a good probability it put a smile on my hero's face before he headed off to Hazzard Heaven.

These pictures are hilarious!

And don't forget this old saying Val....Getting old is much worse than the alternative.

LOL

Thanks Brian.

That's twice that you've recently caught mistakes I've made. I'm embarressed but glad they got corrected.

Getting old isn't as bad as the alternative. Much better.

By the way, where's Val been? I know she'd laugh if she saw the midgets on a mule. (There I go, getting my sayings mixed up again)

LOL

Thanks Brian.

That's twice that you've recently caught mistakes I've made. I'm embarressed but glad they got corrected.

Getting old isn't as bad as the alternative. Much better.

By the way, where's Val been? I know she'd laugh if she saw the midgets on a mule. (There I go, getting my sayings mixed up again)

I make mistakes all the time, but people are so used to 'em by now, nobody notices. Heh heh.

Val had to go and grow up on us. She got married awhile back, got a new job too. I know she's here when she can be.

Oh Roger, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at all the pics and feeling younger and younger by the moment. I love the pictures, flapjacks, flash, buzzards, buzzsaws, pony and Judas Priest, all of it. It's enough to make a 30 something go to 3! Ya'll are great friends for pick me ups.

Yeah, Roger, I'm around but I'm in short supply these days. I wish I come around more. I know I need to write. It would help me go back to that youthfulness and get rid of stress.

Thanks guys.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...