Valencia Oaks Movie Ranch

I've recently found myself watching the odd episode of 'Murder She Wrote', usually when there's a guest actor I want to see. For some reason, the TV channel that shows them here doesn't seem to show them in order, so it can be a bit hit and miss. The other day I got lucky, because the episode was 'The Coal Miner's Slaughter' (a play on the name of Loretta Lynn's autobiography). The name rang a bell because I'd mentioned it recently in the trivia thread. Loretta Lynn wasn't in it, but country singer and celebrity speed trap victim Hoyt Axton played the Sheriff.

Toward the end of the episode I spotted a familiar sight: the Valencia Oaks Duke Farm. Sorry for the slightly blurry grabs - they're from a TV recording and not the usual DVD quality.

MurderSheWrote1.jpg

It's easy to miss because there are only a few long shots, and they're from different angles to the ones used in Dukes. Here it is from the other side. This episode dates from 1988 - about two years after 'Knight Rider' set fire to the place (see above). As you can see, the front has a small fence and is obscured by trees. It's quite possible that the fire damage wasn't repaired, because the rest of the building doesn't look like it's in a great state of repair.

MurderSheWrote2.jpg

Here's Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) approaching the old kitchen door. I didn't recognize any of the interior shots, so I'm not sure if it had been remodeled, or if they were filmed elsewhere.

MurderSheWrote3.jpg

Now for the pièce de résistance of the episode. The building's resident was Eben Connors, played by Denver Pyle. It must've been strange for him going back there three years after Dukes finished. The main picture below shows him walking around the barn. I've inset a better picture of him with his on-screen granddaughter Molly Connors, played by a young Megan Mullally of 'Will & Grace' fame.

MurderSheWrote4.jpg

Toward the end of the episode I spotted a familiar sight: the Valencia Oaks Duke Farm. Sorry for the slightly blurry grabs - they're from a TV recording and not the usual DVD quality.

MurderSheWrote1.jpg

It's easy to miss because there are only a few long shots, and they're from different angles to the ones used in Dukes. Here it is from the other side. This episode dates from 1988 - about two years after 'Knight Rider' set fire to the place (see above). As you can see, the front has a small fence and is obscured by trees. It's quite possible that the fire damage wasn't repaired, because the rest of the building doesn't look like it's in a great state of repair.

MurderSheWrote2.jpg

Here's Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) approaching the old kitchen door. I didn't recognize any of the interior shots, so I'm not sure if it had been remodeled, or if they were filmed elsewhere.

MurderSheWrote3.jpg

Now for the pièce de résistance of the episode. The building's resident was Eben Connors, played by Denver Pyle. It must've been strange for him goback there three years after Dukes finished. The main picture below shows him walking around the barn.

MurderSheWrote4.jpg

That's beyond cool. I was actually a little speechless for a few minutes. There's just a few things I want to throw out.

Firstly, it looks like the lake has dried up, just from looking at the second picture, as the area looks very weedy.

Secondly, if the fire damage wasn't repaired, it would also mean that the interior of the building wasn't safe to enter or film in wouldn't it?

Thirdly, I wonder was the ranch used in any other tv productions (wasn't the Boars Nest blown up or something in some tv show?)

And finally, imagine this from Denver's point of view, going back there three years after you finished working there, with a completely different cast and crew, yet everything being roughly the way you left it?

I really wish I lived near the ranch back in the 80's when it wasn't being used! All those buildings and props and familiar trails!

Thirdly, I wonder was the ranch used in any other tv productions (wasn't the Boars Nest blown up or something in some tv show?)

I read online that the Boar's Nest building was blown up in a 1994 movie called 'Forced to Kill'. I looked it up on IMDb, and found it stars Dukes stuntman Corey Eubanks, who also wrote and produced it. It also features Mickey Jones (B.B. Davenport in 'Granny Annie') and a brief appearance of fellow Dukes stuntman Al Wyatt Jr. Other stars include Michael Ironside ('Top Gun', 'Total Recall' etc.), Don Swayze (Patrick's brother), and Rance and Clint Howard (Ron's father and brother). I was surprised to discover the full movie on YouTube, but it's R-rated, so I won't post a link. What I will do is post a link to a short video featuring Corey talking about a stunt for the movie. The stunt shown takes place next to the Boar's Nest, but it's not visible in this clip:

The Boar's Nest building does appear very briefly near the end of the movie, but, contrary to the report I read, only a vehicle blows up and not the building. I managed to get a couple of grabs which show it to be in a very rundown state; the roof is sagging and it looks like it's been left open to the elements.

BoarsNestFTK1.jpg

BoarsNestFTK2.jpg

Knowing that the Google Earth timeline feature goes back to 1994 in this area, I decided to check it out. The image below is dated June 1st 1994, and shows a clear lot where the Boar's Nest once stood ("5" on the map). If the Boar's Nest was blown up, it must've been between the filming of 'Forced to Kill' and 1/6/94 - I'll keep looking!

ValenciaAerial1994.jpg

• 1 month later...
According to Travis Bell's video it was destroyed or blown up during the movie Nothing but Trouble. I think that was 1991. Also at the end of that movie you can see for a split second the duke farm roof when everything is blowing up.

I took a look at that movie and the only thing that looks like the Boars Nest is this.

33o3yaw.png

There are some barrel in front of there which are exploding, not the building itself. I think when they removed this set they might have also removed the Boars Nest.

I did not find the roof of the Duke Farm in this movie though.

The rest of the movie is filmed in a house and the junkyard in front of it, all are i recon at Valencia Oaks but i couldn't find a reference point.

23h4llj.png

However the entrance to that house is via a small bridge over a waterstream which can be seen twice in the movie.

2hckxg9.png

The Road on the snapshot from the movie makes a slight turn to the right and the water makes a turn to the left which i could find in Google Earth. Also the grass matches with the grass from Google Earth

Is is seen in the left upper corner of this picture and matches the snapshot perfectly.

107qcgp.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've took another look at the movie Nothing but Trouble and found the Duke Farm in 1991!

At the end of the movie just before an explosion happens, they film from inside the house (Valkenheiser Residence) described in my last post. You can easily recognise the Duke Farm from behind in the background of this snapshot.

30kgfi9.png

Also, if you look at the next snapshot you can see the Duke Barn in the background on the left and the entrance to the Valkenheiser Residence on the right. with this angle i was able to figure out where the Valkenheiser Residence was located.

20gzkv6.png

If you look at this map from 1994 you can see the Duke Farm is already gone:cry:. I've marked the entrance to Valkenheiser's house with a Orange Stripe.

120lbie.png

Well done for spotting the Duke Farm, Roth, it's only on-screen for a few seconds.

It's very hard to spot locations in the movie as most of the scenes are at night. I'm sure that the "Autohenge" picture (the one with the stacked buses) shows the Boar's Nest covered with even more hubcaps than usual. When Chevy and Demi are running away, the explosion briefly illuminates the rocks behind it. I agree that I saw no sign of the building exploding, just some barrels.

NothingButTrouble1.jpg

The long shots of the bridge and the mansion clearly use mattes to make the location seem more remote and barren.

NothingButTrouble2.jpg

NothingButTrouble3.jpg

The road they drive along just before they reach the mansion for the first time looks familiar from Dukes (especially with an old Dodge Monaco on it).

NothingButTrouble4.jpg

The road they drive along just before they reach the mansion for the first time looks familiar from Dukes (especially with an old Dodge Monaco on it).

NothingButTrouble4.jpg

that looks like the corner in the road which is now gone driving from the Duke Farm to the Boar's Nest. If i recall correctly they use the slope on the left in later seasons to run up to Eagle Point.

While watching the episode The Hazzardgate Tape (S05E05) I saw in the background the Boars Nest and the Duke Farm without them being used in that part of the episode. So i'm guessing it was unintentional to show these buildings in that part of the episode.

33bg8pv.jpg

2iu3x1s.jpg

In these image you see the General jumping together whith the blue car from the bad guys. As mentioned in another topic the jump was close to the Duke Farm. It's easy to notice the Duke Barn in the background of the onboard screencap so it must be at number 1 looking at the Duke Farm seen in the next Google Earth picture. I think it's there because there is no water on the right side of the cars so it's can't be at the still existing road. Also the Farmhouse is hiding behind the Barn so it can't be made from the north side of the Duke Farm.

axi4n7.jpg

A bit later in the same episode you can see the Boars Nest in the background.

osb9dy.jpg

It looks to be taken from the South West of the Boars Nest and the only road having a clear view at the Nest from SW is the one at number 2.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
and it looks like Universal also used the roads around Lake Sherwood.

Thats Correct, I recently watched the Knight Rider episode 'A good day at White rock' where we can see the bridge from Lake Sherwood.

Here are two screencaps from that episode.

10905852266_f40ee85b05_o.jpg

This is clearly the bridge at Lake sherwood.

And to proof it is from Knight Rider here is the California Knight on the same bridge.

10905954784_cf936167ec_o.jpg

I'm very sure that beside this episode and 'Out of the Woods' there were more shared locations with the Dukes. But I don't watch Knight Rider that much as I watch The Dukes of Hazzard way more. anyway, If I find another location I'll make sure to post it on the forum.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Holy Cow! My parents live about 5 minutes from there. Some buddies and I (may or may not have) used to go off roading out there quite a bit. I always knew that the Dukes of Hazzard was filmed around town, but I wasn't 100% sure that I was in the right place. It is quite overgrown now. I actually (may or may not have) took my wife out there on our first date! haha. I will try to dig out some pictures. To my credit, I never saw a "no trespassing" sign and I never got caught/chased/harassed and saw folks out there off roading now and then.... but the city recently purchased the land and they've locked it down pretty tight. I haven't been out there for many years. I could never get my Jeep to Powerslide as well as the General..... :) I (may or may not) have driven every one of those roads that are still there. I always wanted to get rich and buy the property, but the city beat me to it. I wish I would have taken thousands of pictures, but you don't know what you have til you lose it.

I was looking at streetview close to Valencia Oaks, and saw this. Did this guy rent/buy the whole ranch or only the part closest to the road?

2z4wxex.jpg

They rent out just the front for Christmas trees and Halloween pumpkins. They would discard the pumpkins close to where they parked all of the general Lees. A rotting pumpkin patch made a fun off road obstacle!

Does anyone recognize this bridge or know what episodes it shows up in? One map named it "Kingli Bridge." This is about a quarter mile from where the Boar's Nest location would have been. Sadly, this is about the only picture I have of Lyons Ranch. I'll make sure to go snap some next time I'm home visiting my parents, maybe even take a video tour.

bridge.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'll have to keep an eye out for that episode.

This is probably unrelated, but in the season 5 DVD extra 'Hazzard County Stunt Team - Reunited and in Your Face!', stuntman Henry Kingi says this:

But also, when you said we'd get paid on that set out there, where there's this wonderful golf course and all these million-dollar homes now, everybody owned a piece of that location. Because when I tore up a bridge, a little payment went back to pay for the bridge so that was mine, Kingi Bridge.

The mention of a golf course and million-dollar homes suggests he's talking about the Sherwood Ranch rather than Valencia Oaks.