Did Coy & Vance ever appear with Bo & Luke?

jaydee311

i read over at another board long time ago that if you watch the sceen where they are leaving and there is a shock look on John and Tom face thats because Byron Cherry who played coy mooned them but i dont blame the guy Cherry, Mayor where told that when John and tom came they would git there own show but the network lied and they had to leave the only bad fillings there is between tom and byron chris John and Byron are good friends

Although, I have never heard that Byron Cherry auditioned for the role of Bo Duke, I do know that John Schneider actually recommended Byron for the role of Coy Duke. Tom Wopat does still seem to be very bitter towards both Byron Cherry and Christopher Mayer referring to them as "the clones". He seems to be especially bitter towards Byron Cherry, leading me to believe that the infamous "mooning" rumor just might be true afterall.

GADuke01

I must admit that I was a Coy and Vance fan. Although I though the acting left something to be desired, there was something fun about it. I was glad to see Bo and Luke back, but more could have been done with the Coy and Vance characters, like bring them back for a special 2 hour episode in another season to help save the farm from the worst Hogg scheme yet.

For some reason my little brother is a huge Coy fan....ever since we frist watch the first episode with Coy and Vance in it. And since they drove away with a 64/65 Mustang, that turned out to be his favorite car of all time. Same as for me and the 69 Dodge Charger. I actually drove around to junkyards today looking for some, and I found a few, but they were COVERED in snow, so I'll come back when it gets melted.

As a child, like a lot of the fans of "The Dukes of Hazzard", I didn't think that anybody could ever replace or be as cool as Bo and Luke Duke. However, I still watched the episodes that featured Coy and Vance Duke. Although I was very young, I realized that those two guys (Byron Cherry and Christopher Mayer) had been hired to basically do the impossible - replace John Schneider and Tom Wopat. Given the fact that both of the new Dukes were given scripts that were originally written for the characters of Bo and Luke, it certainly didn't help their chances by having them dress identically like Bo and Luke and watch hour upon hours of tapes to literally learn how to walk, talk, and act like the actors that they were replacing. Although it was a no win situation for Cherry and Mayer, it was also the opportuntiy of a lifetime.

Back in 2001, I had lunch with Ben Jones in Covington, Ga. We talked about kinds of Dukes-related things. Ben even mentioned then and there how he would like to a new version of the show, but with new characters. I went on to ask Ben about overall mood on the set when Cherry and Mayer were hired to be the new Dukes. Ben told me that he, along with with everyone else, was really hoping that things with Schneider and Wopat could have been worked out. However, he did go on to say that he was glad that Cherry and Mayer kept things rolling until Schneider and Wopat's returned. I do remember that he said that it was really a relief when they all saw Schneider and Wopat "rolling back down the road".

Recently, I believe it was at "DukesFest '04", James Best stated that they should have really have had the characters of Coy and Vance dress differently. At least it would have given them a little more credibility than just being carbon copies of Bo and Luke.

All in all, the episodes featuring the characters of Coy and Vance has some awesome stuntwork. I thought Byron Cherry was better casting choice than Chris Mayer. To me, Cherry was very believable as down-home country boy, while Mayer looked like he had just walked off the set of "Urban Cowboy".

In closing, I wonder if the characters of Coy and Vance will appear on the cover art when "The Dukes of Hazzard: Season 5" debuts? Afterall, the 5th season of the show basically belonged to them as they appeared in more episodes than Bo and Luke.

Take it easy!

GADuke01

• 2 weeks later...
I remember when that season first came out. I was wondering way back then if Coy and Vance were actually real names, or just made up names for the show. To this day, I have never met anyone named Coy or Vance. (Actually, I've never had met a Bo before, but I've met a Luke.)

Hi newbie here.

I've heard of a few Coy's, and I think one or two guys named Vance. Obviously, Luke is pretty common, but the one I've never heard is Bo.