Dukes of Hazzard references

K-Duke15

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I know I'm stretching the theme of the thread slightly, but I was doing an online cryptic crossword earlier when I came across this clue:

"Illicit booze distilled by night light (9)"

Not much of a challenge for a Dukes fan! :)

Answer below if you're stuck:

MOONSHINE

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2012 at 12:21 AM, HossC said:

Sorry K-Duke, but I thought I'd share an example of how early a reference to Dukes appeared in another show. The fact that it's mentioned in the popular British sitcom 'Only Fools and Horses' shows how quickly Dukes was adopted into popular British culture. It was back in 1983, the year that saw the release of 'Return of the Jedi', and the episode was called 'May The Force Be With You'. Although the title may be a Star Wars reference, the force in question is actually the Police Force, this time in the shape of Oscar-winning actor Jim Broadbent as Detective Slater.

For those of you not familiar with the show (was it shown in the US?), the main characters make their money mainly by buying and selling goods that are either defective or stolen. In this episode they acquire a stolen microwave oven back when they were a relatively new commodity. So the question is, what would you do with a new microwave oven?.

Edit: The video I originally posted has disappeared from YouTube, so here's the dialogue from the scene:

Grandad is fiddling with the stolen microwave:

Del: What are you doing?
Grandad: I'm trying to get 'The Dukes of Hazzard!'
Del: The 'Dukes of Hazzard!' This is a microwave oven you dozy old twonk! Gordon Bennett, you'll be putting frozen pizzas into the portable next!

SPOILER

Del, Rodney and Grandad are all arrested, and give widely differing descriptions of the thief. Detective Slater threatens unpleasant consequences for Rodney and Grandad if Del doesn't name the robber.

If you want to find out who stole the microwave, and see Jim Broadbent, click here.

Oh yeah! I remember that, Only Fools is another one of my favourite shows other than the Dukes, I've watched every episode of Only Fools and Horses, I recommend you check it out, a couple of the seasons are on Netflix along with a couple of the specials, and to answer Hoss' question, No, Only Fools and Horses never aired in the US, ABC tried to make an American reboot around the time this was posted but it was canned 

Edited by JHDuke

• 11 months later...

OK, this is newspaper reference rather than TV, but it fits here. This is from the front page of yesterday's edition of one of the UK's national newspapers, the Daily Star (thanks to my brother for the heads up). The Russian hackers are apparently known as "the Dukes", hence the headline.

DukesBiohazard.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dukes got a name check in the F1 commentary today. Towards the end of the race, I think it was when Lewis Hamilton passed Charles Leclerc, they said that he could now set off "in hot pursuit of Valtteri Bottas [his team mate] as they used to say on the Dukes of Hazzard". I may be paraphrasing slightly, but that was the gist of it.

After the Grand Prix finished, I switched over to catch the end of the British Touring Cars. One of the support races was the Mini Miglias and Mini Se7ens (different classes using the original Mini). In the Se7ens class, a driver called Jeff Smith was driving the 01 car which he's painted orange and put a Union Jack on the roof. The commentators even referred to him driving the General Lee, and as the cars came into the pits at the the end of the race, a Dixie horn could be heard in the background!

4 hours ago, HossC said:

Dukes got a name check in the F1 commentary today. Towards the end of the race, I think it was when Lewis Hamilton passed Charles Leclerc, they said that he could now set off "in hot pursuit of Valtteri Bottas [his team mate] as they used to say on the Dukes of Hazzard". I may be paraphrasing slightly, but that was the gist of it.

That's so cool. I really love it when I hear a Dukes reference.

I love it. I love it..knee khee!

3 hours ago, HossC said:

After the Grand Prix finished, I switched over to catch the end of the British Touring Cars. One of the support races was the Mini Miglias and Mini Se7ens (different classes using the original Mini). In the Se7ens class, a driver called Jeff Smith was driving the 01 car which he's painted orange and put a Union Jack on the roof. The commentators even referred to him driving the General Lee, and as the cars came into the pits at the the end of the race, a Dixie horn could be heard in the background!

Despite the current censorship we've been seeing the past couple of years the General Lee is still the most recognizable car in the world and that will remain that way for the rest of our lives and longer!

• 3 months later...