2012 Sprint Cup Series race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Sure he would....

as long as you provide the 37,194 tons of road salt he'll need to keep the tracks ice-free.

(That's just an estimate. Actual tonnage will vary depending on the severity of the winter.)

Thanks Roger...way to go. Come and rain on my parade why don't you. How'm I to afford that much road salt? Hey Roger...you don't have that much road salt lying around, now would you? :rofl:

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be racing their thirty-second point race of the season at Martinsville tomorrow (10-28) at 1:00 PM EST on ESPN.

Here is the top ten qualifying drivers for Martinsville:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Brian Vickers

3. Kyle Busch

4. Jeff Burton

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Tony Stewart

8. Clint Bowyer

9. Paul Menard

10. Aric Almirola

(Jeff Gordon 11 ... Dale Earnhardt Jr will be back and starting 20th)

Well the Martinsville race has just ended and I am suspecting that it has put a dent in the chase points or a shake up in the points as well.

Clint Bowyer, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon were the drivers who traded first place throughout the race. Jimmie led from the pole, Jeff started eleventh was quick to move to the front.

Kyle Busch had at one point spun himself out ... but was able to contend for the win at the very end, only to come up a bit short to the winner.

Kurt Busch got spun out to Kevin Harvick who later went to the garage with engine failure.

The point shake up came with Brad Keselowski starting 32nd and came home sixth, but most of all with third points (before race) had some major problems. First of all he got caught speeding TWICE in pit road then his battery kept cutting in and out. He'd go fast and then go slow...NASCAR told him he had to take it into the garage due to n ot making NASCAR speed. He did take it to the garage and came back later.

Martin Truex Jr got black flagged and had to take it to do a drive through penalty when he crossed lanes before getting to the green flag during a caution.

Dale Earnhardt Jr came back today and was pretty good. At one point through the race Hendrick had four cars in the top five. At the end Jr held up Jeff Gordon during a restart to help Jimmie to the lead...Jr then got back to eleventh before getting turned by Carl Edwards. After leading 90 some laps throughout the race, at the end Gordon was racing against Clint Bowyer, hitting a few times...Bowyer finished fifth and Gordon finished seventh.

Jimmie Johnson has joined Jeff Gordon andRusty Wallace with seven wins at Martinsville...third best. Jimmie Johnson got to take home the grandfather clock that the winners receive at the end of the race.

Here is the top ten finishes of today's race:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Kyle Busch

3. Kasey Kahne

4. Aric Almirola

5. Clint Bowyer

6. Brad Keselowski

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Brian Vickers

9. Bobby Labonte

10. Greg Biffle

We are onto Texas next Sunday, then Phoenix, and the final race at Homestead (Miami, Florida) where the championship trophy will be handed to the point leader...as of right now Jimmie Johnson is first in points by two points over Brad Keselowski

UNOFFICIAL POINTS: (Official points come tomorrow)

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Brad Keselowski (-2)

3. Clint Bowyer

4. Kasey Kahne

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Martin Truex Jr

8. Matt Kensth

9. Greg Biffle

10. Tony Stewart

11. Kevin Harvick

12. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

The point shake up came with Brad Keselowski starting 32nd and came home sixth, but most of all with third points (before race) had some major problems. First of all he got caught speeding TWICE in pit road then his battery kept cutting in and out. He'd go fast and then go slow...NASCAR told him he had to take it into the garage due to n ot making NASCAR speed. He did take it to the garage and came back later.

Just to clear up any ambiguity, it was Denny Hamlin who got caught speeding twice and had to go to the garage after stopping on track.

Thanks for the update Garrett.

JJ sure has been coming on strong lately. If I was one of the other drivers I'd be nervous over how well he's been doing.

Yeah...JJ has been strong as of late. Has had a pretty consistant run this Chase and today's win kinda let's them know just how serious he is. The way things looking ol' five time will turn into new six time when the drop the flag at Homestead. Of course that could be wishful thinking on my part...

If Jeff Gordon can't win it, then I want JJ or KK (Kasey Kahne) to win it..then again, that is my opinion. For how little that is worth ;).

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be racing at the Lone Star state tomorrow at 2:00 EST on ESPN. I do plan on watching it and hope to watch the whole race, but will be watching my neice and nephew so my review of the race may be a day late or so...but will do my best to get my review of the Texas race as soon as I can. :D

Here is the top ten qualifiers for tomorrow's race:

1. Jimmie Johnson (two poles in a row...first at Texas)

2. Greg Biffle

3. Kyle Busch

4. Clint Bowyer

5. Martin Truex Jr

6. Joey Logano

7. Trevor Bayne

8. Brad Keselowski

9. Carl Edwards

10. Matt Kenseth

Well Roger you were pretty darn close in your predictions...and if Mark Martin didn't spin out you probably would have been right on.

First half of the race nothing much had really happened...Jimmie Johnson dominated the first half but when it went on, he was passed and Keselwoski led a lot of laps.

There was nine cautions...several for debris or for people wrecking. AJ Allmendinger wrecked as did Juan Pablo Montoya.

Jeff Gordon who started in 16th was quick to make it to the top ten and was in second...and then he got a flat or something (had left for seven minutes or so and he was 25th when I got out to watch...was not happy) he ended up finishing 14th after he was involved in another wreck. Biffle was racing him hard and he got caught up with teammate Kasey Kahne to ruin Kahne's night.

Last pit stop Keselowski went with two tires instead of four to get the lead with Johnson second. Johnson and him were racing hard when Keselowski tried wrecking Johnson to send Johnson back. Carl Edwards spun Mark Martin out to drag out the last caution and to even the racing field out again...Johnson was able to take the lead and go on to win the race.

Here is the top ten finishers of today's race:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Brad Keselowski

3. Kyle Busch

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Tony Stewart

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Kurt Busch

9. Kevin Harvick

10. Greg Biffle

Talking about Kevin Harvick, he got his car ruined before they even started racing. They had parachutes going down in the infield of the track when one went down the sandbag hit the side of his car to dent his door. Didn't seem to affect him since he got a top ten out of today's race.

With two races remaining...Jimmie Johnson is seven points a head of Brad Keselowski.

Thanks for the update Garrett.

I'm happy to hear my prediction was close but sad to hear that your man JG didn't finish top ten.

Well, I'll say it once more....he's better than David Ragen.

You are welcome...eh don't give up on poor David. He is driving for an unfunded team. Gordon and Johnson has the best of the best equipment in their car and on their suit...best of everything. David's team doesn't have the money to do all the testing and have the best of everything on their car. Though he kinda did have that with Roucsh before Rousch let him go...perhaps next year will be better for Ragen.

I hope you're right and next year is better for David Ragen but if his situation hasn't changed by then I'm going to have a dilemma. Should he still be my favorite driver? I'd feel bad to abandon him but I won't be too excited about rooting for a guy who rarely finishes in the top 25.....

Maybe I'll become a Dale Jr fan.

All that really matters is beating you in fantasy NASCAR

I hope you're right and next year is better for David Ragen but if his situation hasn't changed by then I'm going to have a dilemma. Should he still be my favorite driver? I'd feel bad to abandon him but I won't be too excited about rooting for a guy who rarely finishes in the top 25.....

Maybe I'll become a Dale Jr fan.

All that really matters is beating you in fantasy NASCAR

Well then Roger, perhaps I should say, WELCOME TO JUNIOR NATION! :-P Though what is wrong with Jimmie Johnson who you went for last year or perhaps Jeff Gordon? Perhaps if you became a fan all of that nasty bad luck he has had this year will evaporate...LOL.

Hopefully for Ragen's sake next year will be better for him, but the only way that I can see that happening is if he got a new ride. One with more money behind it.

I am looking forward to fantasy NASCAR...espcially with you in it. :D

Well the next to last race will be at Phoenix on Sunday at 2 PM EST on ESPN. Don't know about you, but am already starting to feel the sour taste of NASCAR withdrawl starting to settle in...:(

Here is the starting up for Sunday's race:

1. 18 Kyle Busch

2 56 Martin Truex Jr.

3 11 Denny Hamlin

4 5 Kasey Kahne

5 43 Aric Almirola

6 78 Kurt Busch

7 27 Paul Menard

8 51 Regan Smith

9 14 Tony Stewart

10 55 Mark Martin

11 24 Jeff Gordon

12 39 Ryan Newman

13 99 Carl Edwards

14 2 Brad Keselowski

15 20 Joey Logano

16 15 Clint Bowyer

17 9 Marcos Ambrose

18 1 Jamie McMurray

19 29 Kevin Harvick

20 16 Greg Biffle

21 42 Juan Montoya

22 17 Matt Kenseth

23 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

24 48 Jimmie Johnson

25 13 Casey Mears

26 22 Sam Hornish Jr.

27 83 Landon Cassill

28 98 Michael McDowell

29 34 David Ragan

30 47 Bobby Labonte

31 38 David Gilliland

32 30 David Stremme

33 31 Jeff Burton

34 144 David Reutimann

35 33 Stephen Leicht*

36 119 Mike Bliss

37 10 Danica Patrick

38 26 Josh Wise*

39 93 Travis Kvapil

40 191 Jason Leffler

41 32 Timmy Hill

42 36 Dave Blaney+

43 87 Joe Nemechek

+ Set by Owner Points

* Denotes Rookie

Well I decided to try to copy and paste from NASCAR.com...plus edited out the sponosrs and qualifying speeds. Let me know if you would rather me do it this way or keep it to my original top ten starting positions. Can try and do this for finishes as well if you would like. Let me know...hope it is alright to copy and paste like that. :-?

Well perhaps I should go and post this on the NASCAR news, but as of right now it is not news but only rumor. Rumor has it that when Kevin Harvick's contract expires after next year (he drives for Richard Childress Racing) he will be leaving RCR and will be driving a new fourth car for SHR...Stewart - Haas Racing (Tony Stewart owns half of the team...and drives for it.) Right now only Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman drive full time for SHR with Danica Patrick driving part time in the third car. As I said, it is only rumor since Tony Stewart is refusing to talk about it at the moment...

Let me know if you would rather me do it this way or keep it to my original top ten starting positions.

I like seeing the whole lineup, but because the forum ignores tabs, I find the inclusion of the car numbers makes it harder to read. See what you think of the list with and without the numbers:

1. 18 Kyle Busch

2 56 Martin Truex Jr.

3 11 Denny Hamlin

4 5 Kasey Kahne

5 43 Aric Almirola

6 78 Kurt Busch

etc., etc.

or

1. Kyle Busch

2. Martin Truex Jr.

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Kasey Kahne