The Hazzard Garage (Cooter's Garage)

Mark B / Scooter Davenport

This project is like peeling back an onion with the amount of details- every time I get one layer done, I noticed another layer of things in the same pictures I've been staring at for 5 years.  Its weird what you DON'T see when you are looking for something specific.  I just noticed the other day that the back door has a door closer thingy at the top.  After doing a quick google search for some reference, I find it is in fact called a 'door closer', and the one in question is a 'vintage' style.  Its one of those every day objects we've all seen a thousand times in our life, but never focused on.  Fortunately for me, a 'vintage door closer' is shaped awfully similar to a piece of plastic model kit sprue in 1/25 scale!

Then there are the fan belts: turns out that 1/25 fan belts are pretty much identical to small hair 'elastics' (discovered thanks to my two daughters!).  The bad news: they only had rainbow colored ones.  The good news: found a package of 500 in black at the dollar store for... one dollar.  Felt a little weird buying them as they are apparently made for African-American folks' hair, so I got a coke and some peanuts to draw attention away from it. :)

20288390019_671c2559e8.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

20481089611_66964363d1.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

Have to agree with Roger. Awesome work. You ought to show this to Ben Jones I bet he'd get a kick out of the detail that you put into it  :tup: .

In fact I have written him a couple times with pictures of this project in progress and both times he wrote back some very complimentary things.  I actually sent him another update last week but haven't heard back yet.

Mark

Hi Mark,  This is a remarkable project!  It looks like screen shots in some of the pictures you posted.

Excellent work and attention to detail on this.  

I am also a model builder and build Sci-Fi and Real Space models.  I'll be starting an MPC 1/25 General Lee build soon with some improvements to the kit.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this project.

Hi Mark,  This is a remarkable project!  It looks like screen shots in some of the pictures you posted.

Excellent work and attention to detail on this.  

I am also a model builder and build Sci-Fi and Real Space models.  I'll be starting an MPC 1/25 General Lee build soon with some improvements to the kit.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this project.

Sci-Fi is my usual subject for models, so this project has been a nice 'down-to-earth' break from that.

Some nice words I got today from Cooter himself:

"Alma and I are just blown away by your work.
It is fantastic, and that is not a word I use very often.
You continue to capture the reality with an accuracy that is in fact
heightened by its "unreality', i.e., the dream world of re-creation.

We are even more astonished that you are capturing the essence of
the garage and the spirit of the show at such a minute scale. You
have a remarkable gift. To me, you have created a work of serious
art. There is no other word for it.

I am having deja vu looking at these pictures. Bravo. Bravo!

Ben Jones"