The Patrol Cars In Pictures

HossC

I had seen the Code 3 XL a number of times, notably on a restored Boston Police 1991 LTD Crown Victoria...

But apart from that and the 10 Million Dollar Sheriff cars, looks like Federal Signal’s lighting equipment is the one of choice for the majority of the series.

And I don’t know if anyone pays attention to the more minor details, but most of the mid-sized Mopar patrol cars in the series used 1974 to 1977 steel wheels, like the ones seen most prominently on the Springville County PD Polaras... (the wheels I did see on the fanarts of the patrol cars all have the 6-slot wheels which were first introduced for 1978...)

1 hour ago, Roth Potter said:

I guess they were just easy to come by at the time to create some continuity?

No idea on that detail...

According to Wikipedia, the Dodge squad cars that were used were ex-California Highway Patrol cruisers, while Plymouth Furys, Satellites (less used) and AMC Matadors that once were in service of the LAPD also filled those roles (not sure on the ’75 and ’76 ones though...)

One certain thing I can say about some of the patrol cars?

Both Sheriff Emmett “Hammerhand” Ragsdale and Sheriff Emmitt “Spike” Loomis drove ex-CHP cars. [minus the pushbar as standard throughout the series.]

The evidence is in the roof color and the TwinSonics, though Spike’s car looks like a Texas Highway Patrol car but with the hood and trunk painted black too.

• 11 months later...
On 9/13/2011 at 2:29 PM, HossC said:

Season 2 starts with 'Days of Shine and Roses' and a vintage moonshining movie. It's not easy to see what Sheriff 'Spike' Loomis drives, but I'm going to plump for a 1947/48 Ford Super Deluxe (the '46 didn't have the parking lights under the headlights).

1947Ford0201.jpg

The modern-day Hatchapee patrol cars are more standard 1977/78 Dodge Monacos. Sheriff Loomis's car is the one with the moonshine jugs stencilled onto the front fender!.

1977HatchapeeMonaco0201.jpg

Hazzard County gets its own 1977/78 Dodge Monacos in season 2. Although they first appeared in 'Days of Shine and Roses' I couldn't get a great picture, so this one is from 'Gold Fever'.

1977Monaco0202.jpg

We get a look at a Sweetwater County patrol car in 'The Ghost of General Lee', and it's another 1975/76 Dodge Coronet. This is pretty much what the Choctaw car (above) looks like with a few minor changes; the lightbar has blue lights on both sides, there are spotlights on the A-pillars, and under the Hazzard-like door badge it just says 'Sheriff'.

1975SweetwaterCoronet0206.jpg

WHAT??    i can't see any clue of a moonshine jug on the fender 

• 5 months later...

I litteraly just watched the hack of hazzard or hazzard hack and noticed Colonial City police car at the end. Had to check and see u u had them in here. Im not surprised that u already had it in here. U have so much good information in here. Thanks for all ths great research. I must say that that patrol car looms pretty outdated for season 3. I thought they would have had a newer car. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, CooterNnancylou said:

WHAT??    i can't see any clue of a moonshine jug on the fender 

Nothing slips by Hoss. He has the eyes of an eagle and the brain of an Einstein. I was happy to see these pictures of "The Days of Shine and Roses" since I just posted a review on that episode yesterday. 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:55 AM, RogerDuke said:

Nothing slips by Hoss. He has the eyes of an eagle and the brain of an Einstein. I was happy to see these pictures of "The Days of Shine and Roses" since I just posted a review on that episode yesterday. 

Ain't that the truth! I will have to find your review..