Baseball

Garrett Duke

I agree Garrett. The Cubs will win the World Series eventually.

If the Pirates don't make it to the Series and the Cubs do I'd become a Cubs fan temporarily because I'd sure like to see them win.

I've been alive for three Pirates World Series wins. I don't remember the 1960 win since I was in diapers. I was too busy with the military in 1979 to have paid attention to that win.

The 1971 Pirates are my dream team. They were up against the Baltimore Orioles who had an unheard of four 20 game winning pitchers while the Pirates had none. Despite being down two games to none, the Pirates pulled it off.

For now, I'd just be happy if the Pirates have a winning season. If they don't it will make 20 years in a row of more losses than wins. No other team in all of USA big league sports has been that bad.

*puts down stone*

Well Roger, thank you for your service and all that you did.That was a HUGE sacrafice and commitment. Thank-you. Perhaps for that, your Pirates should win. ;)

Glad you have at least some World Series memories...and of the Pirates winning them. That's awesome for you and your team. Perhaps this is one of them years for your Pirates or for my Cubs...I refuse to give up hope. No matter what.

Those are some sad statistics Roger...but isn't our wager suppose to be how good our team is and not how bad our team is? Trust me when I say NO ONE forgets how long it has been since the Cubs last won the World Series.

It don't matter...I'll be a Cubs fan til the day I die and beyond.

As for my dream Cubs team...that is the team I grew up knowing and following. Probably teh 1990 Cubs team. Still miss the players on that team. Can still list them and their position. (Granted they didn't go to the World Series and all that fancy stuff. But did like the players that played that year and the years around that year...) Love the Cubs team today and the players, but it is different than how it use to be. Back then a baseball team stayed together with perhaps a few players traded here and there. Today it seems like the players are more about money and players are always being traded.

Well there is my vent...LOL.

And in case y'all have forgotten who is the best in my book ;)

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel. Today's athletes are really a reflection on society. Unfortunately they value money over loyalty. They set a terrible example to kids. Every once in awhile you'll hear a story about an athlete picking team loyalty over money but it's rare.

Hey, as I'm typing this I have the MLB network on and they just said that tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park in Boston. Earlier this year was the 50th anniversary of Dodger Stadium.....the third oldest stadium in baseball. How old is Wrigley Field? Is it older than Fenway?

I remember when I was a kid I saw a picture of Ernie Banks that asked the question "Will the Cubs ever win the big one?" In fact it might have been a baseball card. Who would have ever imagined that they'd still be waiting in 2012. Hey, the Red Sox did it...so can your Cubbies.

We went out to eat for my sister's birthday tonight and they had the game on. Didn't see the end, but figured unless I missed some Cubbie excitement, that they were going to...well I refuse to say the L word. HA HA. Congrats on the win K . . .even though am not too happy about it - personally that is. Tomorrow is a new game ;)

Well Roger, would have to look up that info on Wrigley. Saw an article on Facebook about them playing the Reds at Wrigley - but was known as a different name - in 1916 and won. (Well K...may have been that many years ago, but the Cubs won! HA...LOL). But would have to look at when it was built. Shame on me.

Very true about loyalty to a team being rare. That is one reason why I like Kerry Wood so much. Before the Cubs traded him a few years ago (they hired him back a couple of years ago) I heard he turned down a better contract with another team to stay in Chicago. (Leave it to the Cubs to later trade him...that was a very sad day for me!) Was very excited when teh Cubs hired him back...right after Ron Santo had died. But the Cubs told him they didn't have much money and he agreed to $1 million dollars. A lot to us, but is nothing to them. He is now playing for $3 million this year...still not anything compared to some of them contracts out there. He is just so good for Chicago...and for the Cubs.

Once again K...congrats on the win. Am hoping the Cubs will even out the odds tomorrow...(even though Kerry Wood is now on the 15 disabled list due to his shoulder... :( )

Well K...bet you are smiling right now. Game ain't over ... yet. LOL. Am a die hard Cubs fan who refuses to give up hope despite how bad it looks. HA HA. Though thought I would ask you something...how you like Dusty Baker and Sean Marshall? You got both of 'em from my Cubbies...would love to have them back as well. Ol' Dusty was the only one big enough to stand up to Sammy Sosa...anyway...Go CUBS. :D LOL

Sorry to break this to you K, but your Reds lost to the Cubs yesterday. Cubs won one out of three games against the Reds...just how their season has been going so far. Your Reds won today 4-3. Congrats...though my Cubs gave them a late game play for the lead, just didn't pull it off. Did like seeing Dusty and Sean though...

Well Roger...the way the Cubs have been playing, you are bound to win BIG time over me. But don't worry...things can only get better for the Cubs.

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!! (I REFUSE to give up hope!)

• 3 weeks later...
WOW! How 'bout Josh Hamilton of the Texas Rangers!

He hit four home runs and one double in a single game.

Unbelievable!

I think that was awesome and it couldn't happen to anyone better than him. I still feel bad for him for what had happened last year...hopefully he'll have a great year this year. Just not against the Cubs. HA HA.

Hamilton has had a great week. Hopefully he will keep it up...only thing better is if he'd play for the Cubs. Think Josh is a great guy and had felt incredibly bad for him last year...that had to have been hard on him.

On another baseball note....the young sensation from the National's, Bryce Harper, has seemed to have learned a valuable and painful lesson as to never hit anything other than the ball with the bat. He got mad in the eightth inning and hit the dug out wall with his bat. Well the bat took vengence on him and went back to hit him in the face...left him with a big ol' lump over his eye and a bloody face...and ten stitches above the eye where he cut it open. OUCH.

I saw that on MLB Network. I sure hope he learned his lesson. As someone who had a temper when I was younger I can see how something like that could happen. I'm not justifying his actions but I can relate to him. He's very lucky he didn't lose an eye. Hopefully he appreciates his eyesight enough to have learned to not do that again. Not to mention the fact that he should be setting an example to his young fans considering how much he's making.

Friday was a very sad day in baseball for this die hard Chicago Cubs fan. My favorite current player (second favorite all time favorite after retired second baseman Ryne Sandberg) KERRY WOOD (relief pitcher) retired his baseball career after striking out one White Sox player. Kerry has had a pretty poor season thus far which I think was a factor in his decision to retire.

Kerry Wood struck out 20 Astros on May 6, 1998 and was a great pitcher until he had to have Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow. His hall of fame career he had started out with was robbed with injuries that had started with the surgery.

He may not have been the best pitcher or had the stellar career he may have had if it wasn't for his injuries, but he was a great player for the Cubs. A great guy that has supported Chicago in many ways. A fan favorite who will be missed. Sad to see him leave, but glad to see him leave on his terms, when he was ready, and glad to see him retire in a Cubs uniform. Baseball will not be the same without him...but wish Kerry and his family the best of luck with the next chapter of their lives.

It's always tough to see a player you like retire especially when you're a loyal person such as yourself Garrett. Hang in there buddy.

Off the subject (but still on the subject of baseball) did you see the standings lately? It sure is weird to see the Yankees and Red Sox in the bottom two spots in their division.

It's always tough to see a player you like retire especially when you're a loyal person such as yourself Garrett. Hang in there buddy.

Off the subject (but still on the subject of baseball) did you see the standings lately? It sure is weird to see the Yankees and Red Sox in the bottom two spots in their division.

Thanks Roger. I will always love my Cubs, but it is definately not the same without Kerry Wood in the dug out. Am happy for him and that he was able to walk away on his own terms. But sad to see him go. Am going to a Cubs game next month and was really hoping to see him pitch (last year he was on the DL when I went...he came off the day after I went to Wrigley). Guess that won't happen...now the Cubs better WIN on June 14th!

I guess I did hear the Red Sox were in a slump but don't pay that much attention to the standings unless it is the NL Central to see where my Cubs are at. Which isn't too pretty right now. . .

I was feeling sorry for you Garrett but now that I've seen how bad you're crushing me in fantasy baseball this week I've lost any sympathy for you that I had. You must be cheating somehow. I just can't figure out how. If you're not, please give me a break and bench some of your better players so I can make a comeback this week. Show some respect for the number one guy in the division would you.

(Sorry folks, I didn't want my rivalry with Garret to spill over but I'm getting beat so bad I just couldn't contain my emotions)

I was feeling sorry for you Garrett but now that I've seen how bad you're crushing me in fantasy baseball this week I've lost any sympathy for you that I had. You must be cheating somehow. I just can't figure out how. If you're not, please give me a break and bench some of your better players so I can make a comeback this week. Show some respect for the number one guy in the division would you.

(Sorry folks, I didn't want my rivalry with Garret to spill over but I'm getting beat so bad I just couldn't contain my emotions)

Well Roger...the way I look at it, you have no room for complaints. Your Pirates are beating my Cubs in the games win category and if truth was known, I don't feel as if I do have the best team. I think if you would look outside of our match up you would see that...I was thinking you were just taking pity on me and all that...HA HA. Not a chance am I benching my best players...they are there to stay! If my Cubs can't beat your Pirates and I can't win our fantasy league, well then, you should be happy for me that I am doing good in at least our match up. :-P

You might be still crushing me in fantasy baseball but here's three things that will put a damper in your celebration...

1) I have three pitchers starting Saturday and three starting Sunday.

2) My hitters (combined) are only batting .200. Since they're way better than that, there's a good chance they'll stage a comeback this weekend. Good hitters can't be kept down for long you know.

3) To make our rivalry more interesting, not only are we duking it out in fantasy sports but the Pirates are playing the Cubs. And oh, by the way, the Buccos just beat the Cubbies 1-0 just about an hour ago. *dances in celebration*

You might be still crushing me in fantasy baseball but here's three things that will put a damper in your celebration...

1) I have three pitchers starting Saturday and three starting Sunday.

2) My hitters (combined) are only batting .200. Since they're way better than that, there's a good chance they'll stage a comeback this weekend. Good hitters can't be kept down for long you know.

3) To make our rivalry more interesting, not only are we duking it out in fantasy sports but the Pirates are playing the Cubs. And oh, by the way, the Buccos just beat the Cubbies 1-0 just about an hour ago. *dances in celebration*

You sure a bit confident Roger. That's alright as long as you are prepared to be disappointed. The Cubs have felt a tad bit generous today and gave your Pirates the win...musta felt sorry for 'em since they seem to be confused on what their name is. Or perhaps have a hard time deciding if they like Pirates better or Buccos better. Don't worry none...MY CUBS will win tomorrow as will my fantasy team...

Sorry to break this to you Garrett but your Cubs have lost 11 games in a row and 6 of them have been by only one run. They sure are having a string of bad luck. After my Pirates beat them 1-0 last night, tonight's game was tied going into the bottom of the ninth. With the bases loaded and two outs the Cubs pitcher hit the batter to force in the winning run. Like old Waylon would say, "Now that's something you just don't see every day."

We might be battling it out in fantasy baseball, NASCAR and Cubs vs Pirates this weekend Garrett but there's one thing I'm sure we can agree on. It's nice that the Pirates are wearing military camo to honor the troops for Memorial Day.

Sorry to break this to you Garrett but your Cubs have lost 11 games in a row and 6 of them have been by only one run. They sure are having a string of bad luck. After my Pirates beat them 1-0 last night, tonight's game was tied going into the bottom of the ninth. With the bases loaded and two outs the Cubs pitcher hit the batter to force in the winning run. Like old Waylon would say, "Now that's something you just don't see every day."

We might be battling it out in fantasy baseball, NASCAR and Cubs vs Pirates this weekend Garrett but there's one thing I'm sure we can agree on. It's nice that the Pirates are wearing military camo to honor the troops for Memorial Day.

Glad someone can enjoy in my pain and suffering. I love my Cubs...but eleven in a row? Now that is painful. And losing it due to hitting a player...that is just sad. Ah well...enjoy it while it lasts. Just as for Gordon...bad luck can only last so long before the good luck kicks in. Right?

At least I have a good fantasy team...:D

The Cubs may not be statistically the best team in baseball at the moment, but to me, they are number one.

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!

I like to tease you Garrett but don't let me fool you....I really do like the Cubs. In fact there's very few teams besides the Pirates that I would enjoy seeing win the World Series. The Cubs are one of them.

I admire your loyalty. My Pirates have 19 losing seasons in a row but I still love them. Dukes fans are loyal to the things they love and folks like us are proof of that.

Now, back to the teasing....

Ya didn't happen to notice that the Pirates have beaten the Cubs three games in a row this weekend, did ya?

I like to tease you Garrett but don't let me fool you....I really do like the Cubs. In fact there's very few teams besides the Pirates that I would enjoy seeing win the World Series. The Cubs are one of them.

I admire your loyalty. My Pirates have 19 losing seasons in a row but I still love them. Dukes fans are loyal to the things they love and folks like us are proof of that.

Now, back to the teasing....

Ya didn't happen to notice that the Pirates have beaten the Cubs three games in a row this weekend, did ya?

I know you tease. You tease cause you care, right? (As Chris Meyers of NASCAR on FOX says). LOL. I have nothing agaisnt your Pirates either...except when they play the Cubs and they play as unfair as they have played the past three games. HA HA.

Fans to teams like the Cubs and Pirates show one quality the best and that is loyalty. Definately not a bandwagon fan...LOL. Spose Dukes fans are just like that as well.

I think I did happen to notice that small statistic you just pointed out...after the Indy race I watched the last half of the CUBS game. Cubs are in a bad slump...12 games in a row. Now they'll turn it around and win 12 in a row. :-o It could happen...