Lee 2,Mary Kayes car,and Lee 5 help

CDoherty95

Hey y'all :)

I saw a post on CGLFC about Lee 2 and how it had concrete in the trunk.Now I thought Lee 1 wasn't crushed because it had concrete in the trunk.If that's the case then what happened to Lee 2,the jumped Mary Kayes car,the police car that jumped with Mary Kayes car ,and Lee 5? :)

And I also remember reading somewhere that Cliff Shaw (the junkyard owner) got around 50 cars when Dukes finished in Georgia.Somehow I find this hard to believe because that means that practically everyone car used would have a double,and both of them sold off to Cliff.Does anybody know anything about the number of cars that Cliff got? :)

Thanks y'all :)

Hey y'all :)

I saw a post on CGLFC about Lee 2 and how it had concrete in the trunk.Now I thought Lee 1 wasn't crushed because it had concrete in the trunk.If that's the case then what happened to Lee 2,the jumped Mary Kayes car,the police car that jumped with Mary Kayes car ,and Lee 5? :)

And I also remember reading somewhere that Cliff Shaw (the junkyard owner) got around 50 cars when Dukes finished in Georgia.Somehow I find this hard to believe because that means that practically everyone car used would have a double,and both of them sold off to Cliff.Does anybody know anything about the number of cars that Cliff got? :)

I fear the worst for those cars. Based on the lore I once knew, just about everything was crushed. I don't know if the cement in Lee1 had anything to do with it's escape from that fate.

As of Lee1's discovery, there were also 2 surviving patrol cars, junked but not crushed. I don't know what happened to them either.

I'm gonna share a link that's kind of touchy. My purpose here is to give you whatever info may be useful, not to dig up dirt, but this is the best accounting that I know of. I don't know if Gary's email still works, but it's in this page.

Lore of LEE1 discovery

By the former webmaster of the NAGLFC. (pre-CGLFC era)

Thanks Brian.

I was just curious about the monaco and Lee's. As for Mary Kayes car,thats a story I've heard over and over,that one of her cars was found as well.

As Jon Holland says in his book "the cars remained at his Norcross junkyard until he decided to relocate. At that time most of the cars were crushed. Those that had cement in the trunk or plenty of parts to be used were salvaged and transferred to thr new junkyard".

This makes it sound like the jump cars survived.

I've heard many times that Lee 2 became a donor car,and was a shell when filming wrapped,so could there be a possibility that Lee 2 survived the crusher,but because it was a shell it was forgotten about?

And does anyone know how many cars Cliff got?

Thanks Brian.

I was just curious about the monaco and Lee's. As for Mary Kayes car,thats a story I've heard over and over,that one of her cars was found as well.

As Jon Holland says in his book "the cars remained at his Norcross junkyard until he decided to relocate. At that time most of the cars were crushed. Those that had cement in the trunk or plenty of parts to be used were salvaged and transferred to thr new junkyard".

This makes it sound like the jump cars survived.

I've heard many times that Lee 2 became a donor car,and was a shell when filming wrapped,so could there be a possibility that Lee 2 survived the crusher,but because it was a shell it was forgotten about?

And does anyone know how many cars Cliff got?

I was thinking you could contact Gary, who's actually been to Cliff's place. Gary might have contact info for Cliff, an address or something, so you could get more info.

I met Gary only once many years ago and I doubt he'd remember me. But I could try contacting him if you want.

The only way I can think of, to really track this all down - and it could be a pain - is to contact Wayne W. who handled the disbursal on the WB's GL's, and see if he had any info on the junked cars. Who got them, and how many, makes and models, ect.

Wayne aside, somewhere in WB's records there should be a VIN history of all the cars used in the show's production. It would take some title search work, but once the titles were shown as "salvage" there should be a record of who they were sold/given to. I don't know if anyone has ever approached the issue from this angle. And I don't know if WB would part with this info.

Reconciling the VIN's and title records would be an interesting project and a helluva scavenger hunt, if there were other junked, but non-crushed, GL's out there.

I also wonder if there's a way to research this backwards - if the cars that were junked in GA had GA title records. Lacking a VIN, I don't know how feasible it would be to check GA records for specific makes/models that were titled to salvage, around the time of the first 5 eps.

Now you've got me curious. I might have to go on a quest.

Sorry about all the trouble Brian :)

I remember hearing somewhere that Cliff had passed away since Lee 1 was found,so we would have to try and contact his wife.

Would the bodyshop have any records? Surely there's a slim possibility that they've got a bill or two left over from the Dukes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if these photos were in Holland's book, but in my fruitless quest for more information about these cars, I came across these photos. I also have a very thin lead on more information, but I'm not getting my hopes up. In the meantime, I thought the photos were worth sharing.

Here is LEE1, along with an unidentified orange Charger in the background, which may possibly be LEE #8 per the wild goose chase I'm on. Also pictured is a blue car which may have been the one in Mary K's Baby.

397768937.jpg

397768936.jpg

One of the original patrol cars is visible in the next pic. These cars are at a Georgia junkyard, post-filming, but prior to being crushed or abandoned to their slow rots.

397768952.jpg

397768938.jpg

I did find some good contact information during my quest, and as I get more info, I'll share it.

Hoss, I'm with you. That's a Ford LTD. Here it is in Repo Men:

397782560.jpg

I'd say we have a match. Good eyes, Hoss.

Now, we can't see much of that blue car in the junk yard shots, but I do believe it's the sedan from Mary Kay's Baby. Here's a shot from the episode:

397782556.jpg

Just going off the roof line and windows of the car, I'd say we have another match.

Now, to actually answer one of the questions that started this whole thing. It's my opinion that this sedan was crushed, and not simply left to rot in a Georgia junk yard.

My reasoning is this: the car was jumped, and while it may have had some sort of ballast in the trunk, I believe the ballast was removed in preparation for crushing. Notice that in the junk yard photo, the trunk lid is removed and the trunk is exposed. I don't know why they would have bothered messing with the trunk if the car was destined for a slow rot.

397768937.jpg

The next tidbit I want to mention is the gold-colored Charger that we see only the nose of, in this next photo.

397768938.jpg

I am now told that this gold Charger, which does not yet bear the Dukes war paint of orange and black, was actually LEE #8. It was reportedly being prepared for use in Georgia filming, but filming was moved to California before LEE #8 had any camera time.

Supposedly, LEE 8 remained in GA when production moved, though LEE 3, which somehow survived the filming of the first 5 episodes, moved to CA.

Why didn't LEE 8 make the trip? I don't know. Maybe there wasn't room for it on the trailer. LEE 8 was bought by a private party who sold it in 1980 to somebody else who hid the thing for 20 years. Upon sale to the the third and present owner since Warner Bros, LEE 8 had only added 1,500 miles to the odometer.

Ok, fine, but then what General Lee is on the other side of the green LEE1? Argh.

So far, my halfass research indicates that seven General Lees were used in GA filming, with eight original GL's being made during this era, with one getting no camera time and staying behind when filming moved. (still makes no sense, but that's the lore.)

Following this, we know what become of LEE1.

LEE3 went CA.

LEE8 escaped filming and went on to lead a charmed life as a pampered show car.

Unaccounted for are LEE 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 from the Georgia era. From what I have so far, LEE 2 is presumed dead but I can't confirm if it was crushed or left to rot, or...who knows.

The blue sedan used in Mary Kay's Baby is presumed dead. Had this car been recoverable, it would have been notable as the substitute "hero car" for the General Lee in that episode. This is the only episode where the General did not appear. Considering that this plain ol' sedan also made a heroic, impressive jump in the episode, it's kind of a shame that it did not survive. ( I could be wrong, but I doubt this car was spared the crusher.)

397768938.jpg

I am now told that this gold Charger, which does not yet bear the Dukes war paint of orange and black, was actually LEE #8.

I seem to remember LEE #1 started out as a gold car too. I wonder how many '69 Chargers were produced in gold, because you hardly see any today. I guess most of the ones still with us have had at least one respray since new, and gold isn't most people's first color choice (their first choice is of course orange :)).

I'll dig out season 1 and see if I can work out which patrol car that is in the background.

I seem to remember LEE #1 started out as a gold car too. I wonder how many '69 Chargers were produced in gold, because you hardly see any today. I guess most of the ones still with us have had at least one respray since new, and gold isn't most people's first color choice (their first choice is of course orange :)).

I'll dig out season 1 and see if I can work out which patrol car that is in the background.

Gold was a common late-60's color. A lot of Chevy's sported it too; my own '67 Impala had that color originally. My guess is, gold was a popular body color because it wouldn't show rust as easily. Of course, cars didn't rust as quickly back then. So I dunno.

Anyhow - on the patrol car there, I think that's a Dodge Monaco. I'm thinking it's the one Cooter flipped over in "One Armed Bandits."

• 5 weeks later...

Notice that in the junk yard photo, the trunk lid is removed and the trunk is exposed. I don't know why they would have bothered messing with the trunk if the car was destined for a slow rot.

The trunk lid could have been used on one of the other furys that were used in Georgia

The next tidbit I want to mention is the gold-colored Charger that we see only the nose of, in this next photo.

397768938.jpg

I am now told that this gold Charger, which does not yet bear the Dukes war paint of orange and black, was actually LEE #8. It was reportedly being prepared for use in Georgia filming, but filming was moved to California before LEE #8 had any camera time.

Supposedly, LEE 8 remained in GA when production moved, though LEE 3, which somehow survived the filming of the first 5 episodes, moved to CA.

So far, my halfass research indicates that seven General Lees were used in GA filming, with eight original GL's being made during this era, with one getting no camera time and staying behind when filming moved. (still makes no sense, but that's the lore.)

That could be the 69 donor car,which was left behind in Georgia,and restored two years later and turned into one of the first General Lee replicas.

I remember reading somewhere about a charger being built,but not used in Georgia. However it was a 68 charger,not a 69.

Unaccounted for are LEE 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 from the Georgia era. From what I have so far, LEE 2 is presumed dead but I can't confirm if it was crushed or left to rot, or...who knows.

The blue sedan used in Mary Kay's Baby is presumed dead. Had this car been recoverable, it would have been notable as the substitute "hero car" for the General Lee in that episode.

Lee 4 and 6 were 68's if I'm correct.Lee four is seen doing a 180 degree turn in the woods in High Octane,and Lee 6 must have been the specially build car that never appeared in any Georgia episodes.

• 12 years later...
On 6/26/2011 at 6:41 AM, CDoherty95 said:

Sorry about all the trouble Brian :)

I remember hearing somewhere that Cliff had passed away since Lee 1 was found,so we would have to try and contact his wife.

Would the bodyshop have any records? Surely there's a slim possibility that they've got a bill or two left over from the Dukes.

Hey my name is Crystal Davis and I am the granddaughter of June Shaw she also has passed away years ago so please no negative things about my family in all due respect but yes it is true he had all them cars and acres of many many more I remember playing in all of them cars when I was a young kid growing up so yes it is true he did have all the original cars . Thanks loveandloyalty8080@icloud.com

On 9/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, Crystal Davis said:

Hey my name is Crystal Davis and I am the granddaughter of June Shaw she also has passed away years ago so please no negative things about my family in all due respect but yes it is true he had all them cars and acres of many many more I remember playing in all of them cars when I was a young kid growing up so yes it is true he did have all the original cars . Thanks loveandloyalty8080@icloud.com

Ma'am, if you have a General for sale, I will buy it, just pm me.

I haven't had internet for 8 days but let me take this time to welcome you to the HazzardNet. We look forward to hearing more from you. I know how you feel about love for grandparents. It's been a long time since my last one died but they will always live in my heart. And I have a special Dukes connection with 2 of them. When I was 19 and Dukes first came out I would watch it at their house...because their antenna was good enough to get CBS. 

13 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I haven't had internet for 8 days but let me take this time to welcome you to the HazzardNet. We look forward to hearing more from you. I know how you feel about love for grandparents. It's been a long time since my last one died but they will always live in my heart. And I have a special Dukes connection with 2 of them. When I was 19 and Dukes first came out I would watch it at their house...because their antenna was good enough to get CBS. 

Thank you so much for this site and I would love to get to know more about the other casting crew and also my cousin Zachary was in one of the episodes sitting in the back seat as they jumped that little hill and he has also passed away two years ago of cancer 

• 5 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, Crystal Davis said:

Oh and one more thing there is a documentary about it on you tube so cliff and June were both my grandparents and I will forever and always miss them both 

Hi Crystel, thanks for joining in on here. Can you share a link from the documentary you mention?