2011 Sprint Cup race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

The race has just gotten over and I really don't even know where to start on this review. Think we had as much cautions as we did in Talledega last weekend. As said before Gordon was involved in a wreck ccaused by Dale jr on lap seven. Had a lot of pit stops to recover and by halfway, Gordon was in the lead. Today was Gordon's 650th NASCAR Sprint Cup start...he led a lot of laps, making it over 3000 laps led at Martinsville. He came home third today...disappointing seeing how close he came to winning it, but also a great race and third is a great finish compared to his past chase races for Jeff Gordon.

There seemed to be two or three drivers that was consistant throughout the race. One was that Brian Vickers was involved in 90percent of the accidents and Dale Jr ran into a lot of drivers. Jr was very aggressive today and came home seventh today. Good finish for Jr.

Johnson spent most of the race in the top ten but eventually made it into the win...only for Tony Stewart to pass him with three laps to go went on to pass him and win the race. Stewart had almost went a lap down at one moment - his third win of the sason...third win of the chase.

Edwards who was the point leader going inot the race had a off and on race today. He had gotten lapped by Gordon at one point...came home nineth. Is now 8 points ahead of Stewart in points (Stewart just said that Edwards will NOT have it easy the next remaining three races. . .)

As I said, there was ALOT of accidents today. Eighteen cautions and all for accidents. Towards the end of the race, Matt Kenseth (who was second in points) and Kyle Busch got in an accident. Kenseth took it into the garage for 23 laps. Kyle Busch was in a hurry in pit road and they didnt' get the lugnuts on. Once he got out on the track his tire FELL off and he had to drive around with only three tires. Did feel bad for Kyle, but it was funny.

Montoya was in a lot of accidents.

Love Jimmie Johnson and Gordon...both very classy drivers. Johnson could have wrecked Stewart to win the race, but didn't wreck him. Good for Johnson for not falling upon wrecking to win as others may have done...

Here is the top ten finishing drivers:

1. Tony Stewart

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Jeff Gordon

(Very happy with third after the accident...was ready to call his day done after all his pit stops. Great finish by team 24!!!!)

4. Kevin Harvick

5. Denny Hamlin

(led a lot of laps)6. Jeff Burton

(Last week's second place finish was his first top five finish of the year...)7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Carl Edwards

10. Ryan Newman

Here is the unofficial top twelve in points:

1. Carl Edwards

2. Tony Stewart (-8)

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Kyle Busch

8. Kurt Busch

9. Dale Earnhardt Jr

10. Jeff Gordon

11. Denny Hamlin

12. Ryan Newman

We now have three races remaining...Texas next Sunday, then Phoenix, and the final race at Homestead. The top five drivers are still within distance of the championship...who y'all going for? I am really hoping for Carl Edwards to take it home after Homestead.

Three races remaining...am I the only one sad to see the season coming to an end? Or am I the only one already looking forward to the 2012 Daytona 500 and a fresh start to a new season?

The next Sprint Cup NASCAR race is Sunday at 3:00 PM EST on ESPN...seventh race of the chase. In other words once Sunday's race is over on Sunday night, there is only two races remaining of the season. :( Right now it is looking like the two drivers that is currently going for the championship is Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart...though there could be an upset if they have a horrible race and Kevin Harvick (3rd), Brad Keselowski (4th) and maybe Matt Kenseth (5th) has great races.

As for me, I am really hoping that Carl Edwards will be taking home the 2011 NASCAR championship.

Here is the top ten starting drivers on Sunday's race:

1. Greg Biffle (YAY Biff!)

2. David Ragen

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Paul Menard

5. Tony Stewart

6. David Reutimann

7. Carl Edwards

8. Brad Keselowski

9. Kasey Kahne

10. Regan Smith

(JJ starts 11th...Gordon starts 23rd :( Jr starts 16th...)

Well we are at Texas...only reminding me of last Texas race when Gordon and Jeff Burton got into it on the track after Burton wrecked Gordon under a caution...

Still remember watching the wreck...being upset and blaming Burton yet knowing how Burton is a very respectable driver and isn't one to wreck anyone on purpose as it seemed he did at the time. Was surprised while watching Gordon walking upset down the track and seeing him shoving Burton. Both are veteran drivers that have a lot of class to them (if all that makes sense). Was glad when they got made their call and talked it over to know that Burton had understood Gordon's point of view.

Am really hoping that there is NOT a repeat this year.

Also last year...Kyle Busch had gotten caught speeding in pit row and when he got held for a lap, he flipped off the official to be held for two extra laps. Plus probation for the rest of the 2010 year and a penalty. (I really think he has matured a lot since last year. . )

As always am looking for the race to start!

Well I just stated that Kyle Busch has matured...well he kinda proved me wrong in the truck series race tonight. He was racing with Ron Hornaday who is a truck series regular and going for the championship right now. Bucsh owns his own truck in that series, but doesn't always drive it. And since the drivers can only go for one championship (so Kyle or Edwards or anyone else who races in Sprint/Nationwide/truck can only collect championship points for one series and not go for more than one championship) Kyle was only going for the win. Not the points as Hornaday was.

Well Hornaday went up the track and side swiped Kyle which brought out the caution. I understand Kyle being upset. But as the announsers had said, both trucks were still driveable after that and could have went on for at least a decent finish.

Well thanks to Kyle that was not an option.

Kyle purposely wrecked Hornaday under CAUTION and slammed him in the wall to take Hornaday out of the race. Kyle then got parked by NASCAR and was sent to the trailer to talk to the officials. Am assuming penalties MAY be coming from this. Kyle may have just ended his championship run just because he got upset of Hornday sliding up the track to hit him on accident.

Kevin Harvick went onto win the race...but he also owns Hornaday's truck so am sure it kinda ruined the win for him too. Harvick and Busch got into it with each other in the Sprint cup race this past May which led to them both getting put on probation. Doubt that has anything to do with it, but ironic that it involves them both again.

Kyle Busch and Ron Hornaday incident

Sorry I know this is for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, but had to put this here after posting that Kyle has matured...or seems to have in the Sprint Series.

Feel bad for Hornaday. But am hoping that Kyle and everyone else will race respectfully on Sunday. . .

Well the Texas race just got over and it was quite the race. First two hundred laps were pretty uneventful.

First of all...Kyle Busch was replaced by Michael McDowell and sadly he didn't do too well. Sad for McDowell who is a start and park driver who needs all the good finishes he can get to get more money, more sponsor, and be able to become a full time driver. At one point had locked the tires when he missed the pit rorad entry.

It was a Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards show all day. Tony led the most laps today and went onto win his fourth race of the chase...and year. Carl Edwards came home second and is now only three points ahead of Tony Stewart.

Jimmie Johnson was in the top ten for most of the race until he spun out by himself.

Jeff Burton led some laps towards the end before running out of gas with five laps to go.

Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr had good finishes as well...Gordon came home sixth and Jr seventh.

Here is the top ten finishes of the race:

1. Tony Stewart

2. Carl Edwards

3. Kasey Kahne

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Greg Biffle

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Clint Bowyer

10. AJ Allmindinger

Here is the unofficial top twelve points as of now:

1. Carl Edwards

2. Tony Stewart (-3)

3. Kevin Harvick (-32)

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Jeff Gordon

9. Kurt Busch

10. Denny Hamlin

11. Kyle Busch

12. Ryan Newman

Still don't understand how Tony Stewart didn't do anything all regular season...even said he didn't deserve to be in the chase if he was going to race that bad. Then he goes on to win the first two races of the chase and now two more races in a row...

We now have two more races remaining of the season. Phoenix is next Sunday where they will be facing the unknown with the repaved track. After Phoenix is Homestead...

Well it is finally race day!!!!! The Sprint Cup race is at Phoenix today...though the weather is none too promising. It rained this morning and watching the prerace show they said it was raining on and off...looks cloudy on TV. Am really HOPING for no rain come race time!

Jeff Gordon won the Phoenix race at the beginning of the 2011 season and right after had helped with the first dig of the track. The track has been redone and so it leaves the drivers and their teams with large question marks. They said that in the Nationwide Series race that it was slick and there was a lot of accidents that took out mulitple cars in most of them...and now that it has rained out, it will make it more slick than it was last night's race.

Here is the starting top ten line up:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. AJ Allmindinger

3. Marcos Ambrose

4. Mark Martin

5. Martin Truex Jr

6. Jamie McMurray

7. David Reutimann

8. Tony Stewart

9. Carl Edwards

10. Kasey Kahne

Well with there only two races remaining...including today's race at Phoenix, today could be a big race day for the points. Tony Stewart trails Carl Edwards by 3 points right now...will Tony overcome Carl or will Carl stretch out his point lead over Stewart? Or will they be involved in one of the accidents?

Well I am planning on watching to find out and will make sure to write my review afterwards. Am really HOPING that Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson will come out of the race untouched by any accidents...as well as Carl Edwards. But more so...am hoping for a safe and fun race.

They just said that by 3:15 at Phoenix time they have sixty percent chance of rain and wind with thunderstorms at night. Go figure...they go to the dessert and it's suppose to rain. Well I am hoping for the forty percent not to rain - will be greatly upset if I have to miss the nineth race of the chase knowing there is only ONE race left of the season.

LET'S GO JEFF GORDON AND TEAM 24!!!!!! LET'S SWEEP THE PHOENIX RACES IN '11!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green flag just dropped and already an accident on lap one...David Ragen and Ragen Smith got collected in a wreck when they tried passing Kasey Kahne for eigthth place...lucky for Kahne they didn't collect him. Will be holding my breath that Gordon and Johnson will not get involved in ANY of the MANY accidents that is predicted to be of today's race.

Am watching it on TV and have Race Buddy on the computer -am following Jimmie Johnson since they have no Jeff Gordon camera on today.

LET'S GO JEFF GORDON AND TEAM 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now we are onto the second caution on lap 7 (right after they went back to green) when Geoff Bodnine spun out - by himself. Ragen Smith went to the garage...but with the caution David Ragen got back on the lead lap.

Stay tuned to my post race review...

Well the race is now over and we are no better than we were when we started...at least when it is concerning Stewart and Edwards. Stewart is still trailing Edwards by three points. NASCAR has got to be loving this since the chase and the points are so close together. Closest they have been together.

By the start of the race it looked like there would be a lot of cautions and there was quite the few, but not as much as it was looking to be. Geoffery Bodine casued three cautions with spin outs before taking it to the garage.

Matt Kenseth who won the pole for the race and led a lot of laps before slipping back for some reason. And then Brian Vickers felt neccessary to pay Kenseth back for Martinsville and wrecked him pretty good to take him out of the race.

Kyle Busch had engine problems during practice and had to replace the engine to take him to the end of the pack...only for his engine to blow and to be taken out of the race.

Tony Stewart led ALOT of laps and did good to f inish third...Carl Edwards led a lot of laps as well and came home second.

Kasey Kahne went on to win the race...Gordon's future team mate next season.

Talking of next season...am REAL ready for next season to start. Was a very FRUSTRATING race for this 24 fan. Gordon lost his brakes and pretty much limped across the finish line in 32 six laps down and now is 11th in points. :mad::mad::mad:

Here is the top ten finishing positions...

1. Kasey Kahne

2. Carl Edwards

3. Tony Stewart

4. Jeff Burton

5. Ryan Newman

6. AJ Allmindinger (who stole David Ragen's crew after his crew messed up...)

7. David Reutimann

8. Marcos Ambrose

9. Paul Menard

10. Clint Bowyer

Here is the unofficial points after the race:

1. Carl Edwards

2. Tony Stewart (-3)

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Jimmie Johnson

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Kurt Busch

9. Ryan Newman

10. Denny Hamlin

11. Jeff Gordon

12. Kyle Busch

Am so ready for Daytona 500 in February for a fresh new season for the team 24 and Jeff Gordon. Really frustrated with the race and even more so to see him sitting outside of the top ten in points. This chase has been nothing but a lot of bad luck for Jeff Gordon and team 24...and a lot of good luck to Tony Stewart who had a so -so regular season.

The boys will be racing at Homestead, Miami. One of the two race tracks where Gordon has NOT won at before and I am hoping for his first next week. Carl Edwards has won the past two races at Homestead...and is a track where Stewart has NOT won at either. It is also the track where they will be handing over the championship trophy to the driver in the number one position in points. And this year, they will be handing it over to someone other than Jimmie Johnson who has taken home the last five championship trophies. (Know I am in the minority to feel this way, but am sad to see his streak come to an end...)

I am hoping that it will be going home with Carl Edwards and team 99. He is a great driver and a great guy. Always smiling and always positive. Through all this he has had nothing but good things to say about Stewart. As has Stewart about Carl. This is a great championship chase with Carl and Tony so close to each other...only three points seperating them and we are left with only ONE race remaining of the season.

And then my NASCAR withdrawl will kick in...

Well this has little to nothing to do with NASCAR, but had to say that I now have complete sympathy for Jeff Gordon on Sunday's race when his brakes went out. Not that I didn't then, but now I REALLY know how he must have felt or somewhat. Halfway going to work today and had to step on my brakes in case someone walked in front of me (it was dark and couldn't see but a shadow...) and my brakes went out. Have never been so scared in my life and can't imagine how much worse it must have been going at the speed Gordon was going. I made it to my apartment fine (where I was to drop off my dogs at) due to having a little brakes. Turns out there was a hole in my brake line and now have to get it all fixed. Dang where is Cooter when I need him?!

But after I was home safely and got thinking of how much worse it could have ended, I found it sadly ironic that on the same week Gordon finishes as the last car left on the track due to his brakes failing on him, my own brakes fail on me. Was definately not a fun ride...

Well the last and final race of the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Homestead will be at 3:00 PM EST on ESPN...afterwards who ever is in the number one spot in points will be walking away as the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion. Will it be Carl Edwards who is three points ahead of Tony Stewart or will Stewart come back with the win? If they tie in points, the win will go to Tony since he has the most wins of the season...

I will make sure to write my review after the race and followed by the points.

Here is the top ten starting positions...

1. Carl Edwards

2. Martin Truex Jr

3. Kasey Kahne

4. Kurt Busch

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Greg Biffle

9. Jimmie Johnson

10. Denny Hamlin

(Tony Stewart will start 15th today...)

Well today's start of the race is looking good for my fantasy teams since five of my eight drivers start in the top ten. I got drivers starting 1,2,3,5, 9. :) I am currently 3rd for the playoff secong and 4th for all season...so am hoping to come out first or second....fingers crossed. LOL.

As for me, I am hoping that Jeff Gordon will get his first win at Homestead to end his year out with an win...and that Carl Edwards will be the 2011 Sprint Cup Series. Stewart drives Hendrick endgines, but love Edwards attitude. Always positive and he has came close to winning the championship a few times, just never came through with the deal thanks to a driver by the name of Jimmie Johnson who has won the last five years. Being a JJ fan, hate to see his great streak come to an end, but all good things sooner do come to an end. Both Stewart and Edwards has two wins at this track...Edwards won at Homestead last year....

Who do y'all want to win? The race and the championship?

Well we are on lap 109 and we are red flag for rain. URGH...though I think it has stopped and they are now drying the track. My NASCAR withdrawl has seemed to have kicked off early at the thought of this being the LAST race of the season...

Anyway, so far the races has been a good one for the most part. Tony had a lot of rough luck at the start of the race when he got a hole in his car after Kurt's transmission going out. Though he didn't know how he got the hole. Though he restarted all the way back in the line up, he has now passed a lot of cars and is in the top ten.

Carl Edwards had start the race up front and is still leading the race...with JEFF GORDON right behind him. Gordon has had a strong and fast car today.

Johnson has had some engine problems and Jr has felt a vibration. Both are still in the race.

Marcos Ambrose and David Ragen are out due to their engine blowing...both having Rousch engines what Edwards is driving. Though they are now saying that Edwards is racing with a different engine...am hoping not have engine problems...am holding my breath.

Poor Garrett. It looks like you'll have to watch some football why you're waiting. I see they're filling in the time by interviewing anybody who will talk to them.

I'm sorry to hear that my man David Ragen is out.

Hey! They just announced they might be starting again soon!

They are back racing...Gordon even led a lot of laps before being passed by Tony Stewart. Carl Edwards is third, behind Gordon. Tony is now first in points by one point...

Holding my breath for Carl to get this thing...(Carl just passed Gordon for second.

Well the race has just gotten over and I am sure NASCAR is eccstatic on how it came down to this...

After several rain delays and after passing a lot of drivers...Tony Stewart has won his fifth race of the season/chase and to win his third championship. Congrats to Tony and team 14 on a great race and all of Stewart's fans. Am sure you all are on cloud nine right now...

Carl Edwards led the most laps and came home second...points are tied, but since Carl has only one win this year and Stewart as five, the championship goes home with Stewart. Carl raced a good race...a good season. He did everything right...very consistant.He has such great sportsmanship, was able to smile through his interview once he got out of his car...and then went over and congratulated Tony.

Here is the top ten positions of the race at Homestead:

1. Tony Stewart

2. Carl Edwards

3. Martin Truex Jr

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Kasey Kahne

8. Kevin Harvick

9. Denny Hamlin

10. Jeff Burton

Here is the top twelve finishing in points:

1. Tony Stewart

2. Carl Edwards

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr

8. Jeff Gordon

9. Denny Hamlin

10. Ryan Newman

11. Kurt Busch

12. Kyle Busch

13. Clint Bowyer (whoever gets thirteenth wins a million dollars)

All the points are unofficial, but that is from NASCAR.com...

And my NASCAR withdrawl begins...

Don't know what was up with nascar.com tonight. I went off during the final rain caution and checked to see if I'd missed anything when I returned. The mini lap-by-lap ticker on the leaderboard page said that the checkered flag had come down at lap 200, shortly after Danica Patrick hit the wall. Was this accidentally copied from a Nationwide race or something?. The leaderboard also had Carl Edwards a point behind at the end instead of level.

I'm sure it wasn't the result everyone wanted (although I think TRPColtrane will be happy), but I enjoyed the closing laps.

lol yeah finally!!! Tony Stewart Championship!!!! I so happy for him as well since he had 3rd as 2002,2005 and now 2011 finally with first time with owner even since and also first time for crew chief himself wow... long race because of on and off of rain bit like shower.. finally whew and I cant calm down tonight for me. oh boy... I order 2 items for that add my collections as well. I am sorry I miss some talk here since I been in hospital for 3 or 4 days last week ago for my potassium very low weak like cant eat and lot cramp muscles.. oh well so this week lot better they give me lot in IV sorry for not here few week to check out see going on.. I hate it. :-P:)

Congratulations TRPColtrane!!!

Well, Garrett, at least the Chicago Bears have won 5 in the row and the Chicago Blackhawks are in first place so you have something to look forward to even though you don't think they're as exciting as NASCAR.

Yes...Congrats TRPColtrane...am sure you are one happy camper right now. :) This year may be your driver's turn at the championship, but next year that big ol' trophy and that big ol' check (5.6 million dollars) is going home with Jeff Gordon and team 24. :rofl:

Thanks Roger for the encouragement. I have ALOT to learn about Hockey, but am always glad to see a Chicago team in the number one spot...well except for maybe the White Sox. They are too much of a rival of the Cubs to get too happy for them. :rofl:

I may like NASCAR and baseball a bit better than football, but trust me, Roger, I am really excited about the Bears recent run of wins. Their team is finally getting up to par and back to shape as it was last year. . .and am looking forward to seeing them back in the Super Bowl this year. :popcorn: I am finally beginning to understand football and now that NASCAR is sadly over, I will be watching more Bears games and be more excited about Bears football. I need something to fill that empty void of three months between races. And football fits in perfectly into that void.

Dang three months though? That is a looooonnnnnggggg time of not watching Jeff Gordon in that 24 car go for the win...don't know if I'll be able to survive it...the Bears better keep the wins comin'!

yeah thanks and few cars will had new number and schemes next year as well.. like #88 will had new scheme call Diet MT Dew soda kind, #5 khane's new number and new team, Mark will in #00 for David not running next year, Danica's will new number is #10, here new schemes and numbers for next year 2012:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/paintschemes.htm

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012cup.htm

Clint Bowyer will change to #15 from #33 in:

http://www.jayski.com/news/teams/story?id=5992065

#88:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/88cup.htm

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2011/88cup.htm

#24:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/24cup.htm same but change bit on sides

#10 Danica:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/10cup.htm

#14:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/14cup.htm same but change bit on sides..

#39:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/39cup.htm

#48:

same Lowes but change colors:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/48cup.htm

#99 I not sure they still use ALFAC but few new for 2012:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/99cup.htm

khane #5:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/5cup.htm new number and scheme as well..

so new for drivers next 2012 list;

http://www.jayski.com/pages/2012teams.htm

what you think for good for next year 2012 on Feb Daytona 500 ready? :roll:

I do born ready... since boring without for 2 months right now since break time for them.. to ready for next year come back to race again... and hope who will win for 2012 like Tony, Jimmie, Jeff, etc??? wait see for it.

what you think of this time? :-?

So for football I not watching this lot like KC Chief and K-State or Mizzouri and St. Louis Rams or Denver Bronco like that.. but I like hockey more like St Louis Blues sometime or Denver Anvanche.. for me to watching but I like watching more is Nascar things than others sports are. not know why myself. oh well.. I will bit boring for winter time watching any on tv..:p

thanks enjoy :)

• 9 years later...
On 9/26/2011 at 7:39 PM, Garrett Duke said:

Well once again, I missed the race. :( I was told Kasey Kahne led a lot of laps but with fifteen or so laps to go, he pitted and no one else did. He finished fifteenth out of it. Gordon led a lot of laps, but came home fourth after running low on fuel or something like that. Tony Stewart went on to win his second straight race of the season and is now leading in the points where as Jimmie Johnson as at a low of tenth place right now after having an 18th place finish yesterday. Junior finished 17th.

Sorry for the lack of a review...unless it rains at Dover next Sunday, I'll be watching it and having a much better and more detailed review.

As for the points...this is how they look now (from Yahoo!'s NASCAR page...)

1. Tony Stewart

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Brad Keselowski

4. Carl Edwards

5. Jeff Gordon

6. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

6. Matt Kenseth

6. Kyle Busch

9. Kurt Busch

10. Jimmie Johnson

11. Ryan Newman

12. Denny Hamlin

Cousin Garrett Duke... You made a faux pause and put 6th place 3 times lol.

22 minutes ago, Skipper Duke said:

Cousin Garrett Duke... You made a faux pause and put 6th place 3 times lol.

It wasn't a faux pas - that list wasn't the race result, it was the drivers' points standings after the New Hampshire race, so it's quite conceivable that there were three drivers tied on points for 6th place. That would explain why the next driver was in 9th. You can see the full results of that race here.

2 minutes ago, HossC said:

It wasn't a faux pas - that list wasn't the race result, it was the drivers' points standings after the New Hampshire race, so it's quite conceivable that there were three drivers tied on points for 6th place. That would explain why the next driver was in 9th. You can see the full results of that race here.

Cousin HossC Wow.