The Green Hornet

Brian Coltrane

Worth seeing for the 1965 Chrysler Imperial decked out with rockets, flamethrower, and dual machine guns. There's enough mayhem in this flick to please anybody.

It's an action-comedy, a thankless category that always gets shortchanged by critics and panned by serious movie goers who are looking for more blood and guts and fewer jokes. But if you see the movie for the sake of seeing a nutty, glass-breaking shoot-em-up with car chases and explosions, you'll like it.

Note, there is a 1969 Dodge Charger in this movie, but it just sits in the garage. You see it displayed teasingly in the early scenes, parked in a million dollar garage alongside other classic cars. Still, it seems to be an subliminal appeal to Dukes of Hazzard fans.

394644391.jpg

Worked on me. I'll give this movie Three Yeehaa's outta five.

I am curious to see how well this movie does. The modern day versions of Superhero films are always hit and miss in my opinion. The Batman films were a mixed bag, I love the first two Spiderman films (the third was so-so), and disliked the Hulk films (which was disappointing because as a kid it didn't get any better than the old Incredible Hulk series and the Dukes)

I am curious to see how well this movie does. The modern day versions of Superhero films are always hit and miss in my opinion. The Batman films were a mixed bag, I love the first two Spiderman films (the third was so-so), and disliked the Hulk films (which was disappointing because as a kid it didn't get any better than the old Incredible Hulk series and the Dukes)

The Green Hornet movie was a buddy-flick action comedy and they weren't going for any Oscars here, I'll admit. It looked to be a one-up and I doubt we'll see a sequel. But it was fun. I'm one of these people who like lighter fare when I'm at the movies. If I want dark, heavy stuff, I need look no further than the news.

Which is why I look forward to the upcoming THOR movie with mixed optimism. Wanton violence aplenty just in the trailer. For some people the line between "action" and "violence" is blurred anyhow, but the tone in THOR looks darker than I expected.

• 4 weeks later...