Rosco's Patrol Car

HossC

I thought it was about time that 'the law' was represented in 'Fan Art'. Here's my version of Rosco's patrol car. I've gone for the most commonly used model, a '77/'78 Plymouth Fury. Once they had settled on this model, there are only very small differences between them eg. mirrors, lightbar and fixings, side strip etc. Now that I have the basic shape, I intend to do one or two of the patrol cars from surrounding counties.

RoscoFury1.jpg

RoscoFury2.jpg

As promised, here's a patrol car from a neighboring county, namely Chickasaw. The main difference is that Sheriff Little drove a '76 instead of a '77/'78. Other differences include the hub caps, spotlights on the A-pillars and the fang-like nudge bars at the front. There were slight variations between episodes such as a few different license plates and the aerial placement on the trunk.

Chickasaw1.jpg

Chickasaw2.jpg

I've done a few other patrol cars, but decided to only include side views as the other views don't change much.

1) Just for Mufn, Rosco's camo car from 'The Great Hazzard Hijack'. This is not an exact copy of the paint scheme as the complex blends and fills would take weeks!. I simply tweaked a standard texture fill to give a similar effect. You'll see that they removed the hub caps, but left on the shiny gold Sheriff decals!. This was actually a Dodge Monaco, but the profiles are the same.

2) State Police car from 'Welcome Back Bo 'N' Luke'. This was a '76, but '77s in a black and white paint scheme also appeared in 'Baa Baa White Sheep' and 'Heiress Daisy Duke'.

3) Finchburg patrol car also seen in 'Baa Baa White Sheep'.

4) City of Roseville patrol car, as seen in 'New Deputy in Town'. Note the squarer lightbar and aerial mounted on the roof. Some shots included a piece of trim across the front doors, whilst others omitted it. I thought it looked cleaner without.

OtherFury1.jpg

OtherFury2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly forgot Rosco's most expensive patrol car, his Rolls Royce 'Silver Shadow I' from '10 Million Dollar Sheriff'. Apart from the lightbar and decals it looks fairly stock, so I just did the side view.

Rolls_Rosco.jpg

I found this vehicle on eBay when I was looking for reference pictures. I'm sure it will suit Roger if he ever inherits $10,000,000 :). For those who are interested, it's a one-off conversion currently owned by artist and sculptor Bill Mack, and has a 'buy it now' price of $54,900.

Rolls_Pickup.jpg

I found this vehicle on eBay when I was looking for reference pictures. I'm sure it will suit Roger if he ever inherits $10,000,000 :). For those who are interested, it's a one-off conversion currently owned by artist and sculptor Bill Mack, and has a 'buy it now' price of $54,900.

Rolls_Pickup.jpg

Lemme just whip out my checkbook here... You think I could fit a hot tub in the back?

I got good news and bad news.

The good news is that Hoss has done another great job with his artwork.

The bad news is that after Hoss posted the picture of Bill Mack's car I sold my house and figured on buying Bill's car. When I went over to Bill's house with the money he said Meadowmufn had already bought it......so now I'm homeless.

To make matters worse I didn't exactly get $54,000 for my house. I had to borrow the rest and when I found out the car wasn't available I spent the money on scratch-off lottery tickets. (I did make 370 bucks from them so it wasn't a total loss).

So here I am...homeless....hoping a member of my HazzardNet family will take me in. To make matters even worse, the guy put up Green Bay Packers signs in my old front yard.

Well, maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We now have another member who does vector art, TimSherry01. He has already posted one of his artworks in the 'Signs of Hazzard' thread, and we have also been swapping artwork. Tim produces decals for model cars. His expanding range already boasts many Hazzard vehicles including police cars, some of the race cars, and the 'Carnival of Thrills' cars.

This artwork exchange spurred me on to do two more patrol cars, one from the first season, one from the last. The first is an Atlanta Police car, a '76 Fury, a pair of which were encountered by both Boss and the Dukes in 'Daisy's Song'. The second is also a '76 Fury with the A-pillar spotlights like those of the Chickasaw cars. This one belongs to Sheriff R.P. "Droopy" Cathcarte of Osage County. It can be seen in 'Cool Hands, Luke & Bo' in season 7.

OtherFury3.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually did the Hatchapee County logo a while back, but never put it on a patrol car or posted it. I'll have to see if any of the episodes with Capitol City cars show their badges clearly enough to reproduce.

The first car below is Sheriff 'Spike' Loomis's patrol car from 'Days of Shine and Roses'. Hatchapee County had at least three patrol cars in that episode, but only Sheriff Loomis's car had the 'shine jugs stenciled on the front fender. I counted 13 jugs including the last one that he added at the start of the episode (that's why the last one is slightly larger and a slightly different color). The car has chrome rocker panels and chrome trim around the wheel arches. It also had the wider side trim with a black stripe down the center and the squarer design of lightbar. You can see a screengrab of the car in The Patrol Cars In Pictures thread.

The second picture is a Hatchapee car from 'Twin Trouble'. The badge is the same, but they are now using blue and white cars instead of the original black and white. I don't think that we ever get to see the front of the patrol car in this episode, but I think the tail lights suggest a 1975 Fury whereas Sheriff Loomis's car was a 1977 Monaco.

OtherFury4.jpg

Jake, I took a look at your screengrabs and took a few myself. The Capitol City car that appears in 'Big Brothers, Duke' looks exactly like one of Sheriff Little's Chickasaw cars, but without the fangs at the front. The badge on the door is a 7-pointed star with the word "POLICE" in the center and the words "CAPITOL" and "CITY" in a circle. That's all the detail I could see, so there's not enough to reproduce it here.

The Capitol City car that appears in 'Happy Birthday, General Lee' has the same color scheme but a different badge. It gets a lot more screentime, and the details are easier to see. You'll recognize the badge as being very similar to the State Police car that I did in this post back on page 1 of this thread. Because the car appears in the flashback sequence it has the beacon style lightbar with a center speaker. Unlike most of the patrol cars in Dukes this one does not have the ring of holes on the hubcaps. I think I got the color a bit closer here than I did with Sheriff Little's car. I might have to go back and subtly change that when no ones looking ;).

OtherFury5.jpg

The Blues Brothers in 1980 with the actors Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi also has the cars of the polices!

The 'Bluesmobile' was a 1974 Dodge Monaco, and it was very tatty considering that it was only six years old when the movie was made.

Bluesmobile.jpg

If you've been following The Patrol Cars In Pictures thread you'll know that a very similar 1975 Dodge Monaco appeared as a Hazzard patrol car at the start of the first season.

1975Monaco0101.jpg