One Word Song Titles

HossC

On 5/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, HossC said:

Little Richard has passed away at the age of 87. He was cited as an influence by acts such as The Beatles, Elvis and Elton John. From 1957, here's Lucille:

Cousin HossC... I was gonna ask but don't have to now. This is the one Waylon Jennings did. I just listened to this one in the video. Being a Country and WJ fan I must go with his cover though.

12 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Cousin HossC... I was gonna ask but don't have to now. This is the one Waylon Jennings did. I just listened to this one in the video. Being a Country and WJ fan I must go with his cover though.

I checked to see if I had Waylon's version (I don't), and was reminded of Kenny Rogers' song of the same name. Kenny's Lucille ("You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille") was released in early 1977, and while being a completely different song, was also covered by Waylon Jennings in 1977.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd give Olivia Newton-John some space, but we also lost prolific songwriter Lamont Dozier on Monday at the age of 81. If the name's not familiar, he was part of the very successful Holland–Dozier–Holland Motown songwriting team who wrote hits for artists such as Martha and the Vandellas, The Supremes, The Four Tops, and The Isley Brothers. Here's an early hit from Martha and the Vandellas - Heatwave:

• 2 months later...

I've just seen that controversial singer Jerry Lee Lewis has died at the age of 87. He was described as "One of the last survivors of rock 'n' roll's golden age". At 22, Jerry Lee Lewis famously married his 13-year-old cousin. Obviously that never happened with our favorite cousins, but in 'One Armed Bandits' Bo did tell Daisy, "If we weren't cousins, I'd marry you.", to which Daisy replied, "That's never stopped anyone in this family before."

Jerry Lee Lewis - Breathless

• 4 weeks later...

I never intended this to be a tribute thread, but it seems to be a good place to collect the tributes. I'd love to see more posts here of one word song titles by people who hadn't just died!

Tonight I've just read that Irene Cara has died at 63, although the cause of death has not been released. Along with "Flashdance - What a Feeling", Fame is probably her best known song.

Another day, another obituary. Yesterday we lost Fleetwood Mac member and solo artists Christine McVie at the age of 79. She was one of eight members of the band inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

I've posted 'Songbird' before, but it was back in 2011, and out of my limited choice of one word song titles in her collection, it's the most well-known.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd take a break from using this thread for obituaries and post some new music. I'm slightly cheating here as the full title is 'Lionheart (Fearless)' by Joel Corry & Tom Grennan, but the radio DJs just call it 'Lionheart'.

Despite being an original tune, it has a great '90s dance vibe to it - very reminiscent of songs like 'Encore Une Fois' by Sash!.

• 1 month later...

I read this morning that the Israeli actor Topol had died at 87. You may remember him from the 1981 James Bond film 'For Your Eyes Only', but he's best known for playing Tevye in the 1971 film 'Fiddler on the Roof. I was lucky enough to see him play Tevye in the stage show at The London Palladium back in 1994.

This is a repost, but the last time was 2011, so it's a good time for a reminder!

'Tradition' - Topol and film cast

• 4 months later...

Yesterday we lost Irish singer Sinead O'Connor at the age of only 56. I'm aware that she was a very controversial figure, especially in the US, but she always stuck to her principles rather than chasing fame or fortune, and campaigned for some worthy causes. She also struggled with mental health issues. There's been a huge outpouring of tributes over here for the singer with the fantastically pure voice. She influenced so many female artists including Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morissette. P!nk even sang 'Nothing Compares 2 U" to honor her in concert last night.

From her 1987 debut album 'The Lion and the Cobra', here's 'Mandinka':

• 1 month later...

Finally, I'm posting a song that's not a tribute. Gucci are using this catchy tune for their Flora perfume at the moment. When I looked into it, I found that they got Miley Cyrus to sing their version, but the original is from 1994 by a British pop duo who were promoting the term 'Girl Power' before the Spice Girls.

Shampoo - Delicious

• 2 months later...

We lost another prominent Irish musician last week: Shane MacGowan. Sadly, the news came a day after a friend of mine passed away, so I'm late with this post. Here's Shane with The Pogues singing 'Fiesta':

And here he is duetting with Sinead O'Connor on 'Haunted'. It's hard to believe that we've lost both of them in the last six months.