One Word Song Titles

HossC

This one's a little more Christmassy, and only has one word in its title!

Troika - Sergei Prokofiev

Part of the tune also appears in Greg Lake's 'I Believe in Father Christmas':

Edited by HossC
Replaced dead video link.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently, this song is from the soundtrack of 'Despicable Me 2' - I only got around to seeing the first one at Christmas! It still seems to be getting a lot of air play, and was the song that closed the BRIT awards earlier tonight.

Happy - Pharrell Williams

• 3 weeks later...

After I posted the video above which was filmed in Los Angeles, I discovered that people around the world had made their own versions. To do my bit for Fáilte Ireland, here's the one from Dublin. As you'll see, leprechauns are real - they're just a bit bigger than you imagined ;).

Happy (Dublin Is Also Happy) - Pharrell Williams

• 4 months later...

I know we've just had two versions Pharrell's 'Happy', but I couldn't let the release of a new "Weird Al" album go by without posting something, and this is one of the first videos to come out. Watch out for several celebrity cameos in this one-take video. I think my favorite line at the moment is "Got my new resume, it's printed in Comic Sans" :).

Tacky - "Weird Al" Yankovic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWo8apgLys

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2014 at 3:27 AM, HossC said:

I know we've just had two versions Pharrell's 'Happy', but I couldn't let the release of a new "Weird Al" album go by without posting something, and this is one of the first videos to come out. Watch out for several celebrity cameos in this one-take video. I think my favorite line at the moment is "Got my new resume, it's printed in Comic Sans" :).

Tacky - "Weird Al" Yankovic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWo8apgLys

I was just listening to this yesterday. LOL.

We're only just into February, and we've already lost another big name in music. This time it's founder member of Earth, Wind and Fire, Maurice White. Here's one of their best known songs.

September - Earth, Wind & Fire

R.I.P. Maurice White (December 19, 1941 – February 3/4, 2016)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sadly, I'm posting again because of another death. Today it was announced that Merle Haggard had died on his 79th birthday. To keep with this thread's theme, I'll post this track first.

Carolyn - Merle Haggard

But I can't do a tribute without mentioning this song.

Okie From Muskogee - Merle Haggard

Edited by HossC
Replaced dead video link.

• 2 weeks later...

Another day of 2016 with a death in the music business. This time it's Billy Paul. To keep with the theme of the thread, I'll start with a track I'm not so familiar with.

Malorie - Billy Paul

And now, probably his best-known hit.

Me And Mrs Jones - Billy Paul

Thanks for joining in, Hobie. This thread wasn't meant to be just obituaries, but that's how it's been this year.

Sadly, Laura Branigan died back in 2004 at only 47. She never appeared in Dukes, but she did play the part of a singer called Sarah in a final season episode of 'CHiPs'. I just picked this one because I heard it on TV last night.

Gloria - Laura Branigan

12 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I thought I'd heard that name ( Laura Branigan)  and then I knew where when I heard the song! How did she die? She was hot!!!

According to Wikipedia:

Branigan died in her sleep at her lodge in East Quogue, New York, on August 26, 2004. The cause was attributed to a previously undiagnosed ventricular brain aneurysm. It was reported in the media that she had been experiencing headaches for several weeks before her death but did not seek medical attention.

I don't know if her death was widely reported at the time. I only found out a couple of years ago.

• 4 months later...