James Best in Andy Griffith

Hi ya'll! I was flipping channels and ended up on TV Land and it hit me that Jimmie Best was on Andy Griffith! Geez, he was so cute there! Sounds a little different, but you can definately tell its him. My eyes popped and I started watching the episode. I did not know he could play the guitar though! It was a great episode. Some of his Rosco traits comes out. Awesome!!!!!!

I don't think I ever seen the show, but I looked it up, and Jimmie appears in 2 episodes. The first one from 1960 is here:

The Andy Griffith Show (S1E03) - "Guitar Player"

I'll save it until tomorrow to watch it in full.

I also noticed that Hazzard's own Doc Appleby aka. Parley Baer appears in 7 later episodes.

Thanks for the tip-off.

I don't think I ever seen the show, but I looked it up, and Jimmie appears in 2 episodes. The first one from 1960 is here:

The Andy Griffith Show (S1) - "Guitar Player" pt.1/3

I'll save it until tomorrow to watch it in full.

I also noticed that Hazzard's own Doc Appleby aka. Parley Baer appears in 7 later episodes.

Thanks for the tip-off.

No problem! It was a fluke that I found it! I was so glad to see him in something before the Dukes!

This must be some kind of coincidence. I was watching a TV this morning, the show I was watching finished, and I didn't get to the remote before the next show started. It turned out to be Ride Lonesome, a 1959 western (in color) starring Jimmie along with Randolph Scott, James Coburn and Lee Van Cleef. Not many Rosco traits in this one, but still good to see Jimmie 20 years before Dukes.

ridelone7.jpg

Hi ya'll! I was flipping channels and ended up on TV Land and it hit me that Jimmie Best was on Andy Griffith! Geez, he was so cute there! Sounds a little different, but you can definately tell its him. My eyes popped and I started watching the episode. I did not know he could play the guitar though! It was a great episode. Some of his Rosco traits comes out. Awesome!!!!!!

Khee! Yep, wasn't he a cutie?

AG1_003.jpg

AG1_008.jpg

AG1_027.jpg

AG1_045.jpg

I used to have quite a bit of the dialouge from this episode memorized. I loved Barney's speechify at the jail after Andy hauls in both Bobby Fleet and Jim later.

Barney: "I'm shocked that you two would think that Sheriff Taylor here would stoop so low as to use his high office to get you two in here so that one could hear the other. I'm more than shocked! I'm outraged!"

Andy: "I appreciate them loyal words, deputy."

Barney: "Well I meant 'em, Sheriff!" *pauses, then turns to Jim* "So what number you gonna play, Jim?" ROFL!

Then at the end of the episode...

Andy: "Hey, Jim?"

Jim: "Yeah?"

Andy: "This fella Fleet? He digs you, so you be nice and dig 'em back, ya hear?"

Khee!

... if you ask Jimmie if he plays the guitar, he'll say "Arrrrrre you kiddin'?! I've got three of 'em!"

I can just hear him saying that in a Rosco way.

Thanks for the great pics MaryAnne. There are some wonderful lines in these shows, and the charges Andy makes up to arrest Fleet could easily have been made up by Boss to arrest the Duke boys. There were other things that reminded me of Dukes too. I could imagine Enos saying some of the deputy's lines, and the mayor is a chubby man with a white cowboy hat. The way Jim (Jimmie) eats his food in the prison cell was quite Boss-like as well. If I hadn't checked the cast list, I would never have recognized a 6 year old Ronnie Howard, or have remembered that I recognized the deputy (Don Knotts) from 'Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo'.

The second episode with Jimmie is here:

The Andy Griffith Show (S1E31) - "The Guitar Player Returns"

Definitely recommended viewing for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Khee! Yep, wasn't he a cutie?

AG1_003.jpg

AG1_008.jpg

AG1_027.jpg

AG1_045.jpg

I used to have quite a bit of the dialouge from this episode memorized. I loved Barney's speechify at the jail after Andy hauls in both Bobby Fleet and Jim later.

Barney: "I'm shocked that you two would think that Sheriff Taylor here would stoop so low as to use his high office to get you two in here so that one could hear the other. I'm more than shocked! I'm outraged!"

Andy: "I appreciate them loyal words, deputy."

Barney: "Well I meant 'em, Sheriff!" *pauses, then turns to Jim* "So what number you gonna play, Jim?" ROFL!

Then at the end of the episode...

Andy: "Hey, Jim?"

Jim: "Yeah?"

Andy: "This fella Fleet? He digs you, so you be nice and dig 'em back, ya hear?"

Khee!

Interesting tidbit for you. James Best is a cousin of The Everly Brothers! This Andy Griffith is one of my favorites!