Commercials

Garrett Duke

• 2 months later...

The following commercial is getting a re-run on UK TV at the moment. It's actually a commercial to promote the use of TV advertizing. I think the idea is that people remember it because it's a little bit odd (and it's got a very cute dog in it).

Harvey & Rabbit:

When I looked up the YouTube link, it reminded of the earlier commercial where we first meet Harvey.

Every Home Needs a Harvey:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just watched a comedy quiz show about the '80s, and the following commercial for Yellow Pages was the subject of one of the questions. It features an old man searching book stores for a copy of "Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley". The commercial proved to be so popular that someone actually wrote a fishing book under the pseudonym of J. R. Hartley, and it became a bestseller. Watch all of it so you don't miss the twist at the end!

• 1 month later...

I've posted a couple of Specsavers commercials before, so they obviously appeal to my sense of humor. In the latest one, an aerobics instructor accidently goes into a room where they're expecting a game of bingo...

When I went to YouTube for the video, I found they'd made some follow-ups where they interviewed the class afterwards.

ETA. Sadly, they seem to be unavailable now.

• 3 months later...

Here's a commercial for a mobile phone provider which features a young girl and her cat singing along to Starship's 1985 hit 'We Built This City' while riding around in circles. As the tagline says: "We all need silly stuff"!

The official upload seems to be region-locked (based on the comments), so I hope this video works for everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

:previous:

I love the way Nigel managed to find a wireless printer in 1992 - it didn't even need a power cord :).

Before YouTube, quite a few "big name" celebrities made commercials in Japan as they knew they were unlikely to be seen in the US and Europe. More recently, Hollywood stars seem to be coming to Britain to make commercials - here are some examples:

Kevin Bacon has made a series of commercials for the cellphone company EE. The latest one finishes at a wedding dance, and sees Kevin look at the camera and say "Every time" as the DJ puts on 'Footloose'. I couldn't find that on YouTube, but you might be able to watch it here. The video below was the first commercial in the series.

Snickers decided to follow their Mr T commercials (one of which was later banned for being offensive) with one featuring Joan Collins and Stephanie Beacham. They're still being shown, although only in edited form without Stephanie Beacham.

Joan Collins is not new to the world of advertising - she made a very well-known series of commercials for Cinzano in the late '70s/early '80s. I don't know how famous her co-star, Leonard Rossiter, was outside the UK, but a run of popular sitcoms made him a household name at the time.

I'll finish with a commercial featuring Bruce Willis promoting broadband. This one got banned because they forgot to mention that the offer only applied to existing customers!

• 2 months later...

:previous:

The new Snickers commercial in the UK features Mr Bean.

It's a little early to be mentioning the festive "C" word, but here's department store John Lewis's seasonal commercial about Monty the Penguin. It seems to be the one that people are talking about this year.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The commercial below for Ferrero Rocher first aired in the UK in the 1990s, but for some reason it became part of pop culture and has been parodied many times since. Even today, it's almost rude not to say "you are really spoiling us" when someone offers you one of these hazelnut chocolates :).

• 6 years later...
On 1/18/2013 at 11:51 PM, HossC said:

Thanks - I liked it, apart from the music :).

If you like Coke you should go back to the classic 1971 commercial which later became a full-length song for the New Seekers:

For anyone on a post-Christmas diet, how about a Diet Coke commercial featuring music by Etta James (who sady passed away a year ago this coming Sunday):

Cousin HossC... I know of her. She performed the song Down in the Basement in PlayStation Driver 2 game.