NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well the race was on FS1 once again...so I didn't get to watch it. I was busy anyway. But it was another race...and another race of Ross Chastain upsetting drivers. He spun out Martin Truex Jr who I believe was leading and then spun out Kyle Larson from the top spot. I don't understand what Chastain think he is going to accomplish by spinning everyone out in every race, but NASCAR needs to step in before someone gets hurt or before this gets more out of hand. Rick Hendrick, who owns the Hendrick team that Kyle Larson drives for, has already stated that "If you wreck us, you're going to get it back."  I don't go for retaliation, but at the same time, they have to stand up for themselves and do something to  not get spun out again like that. I don't understand how Chastain went from last year where he did a great job of standing up for himself and making a good name for himself in the sport to this year where he is wrecking everyone in sight.

Though it was great to see William Byron bringing back his throwback Jeff Gordon 24 car back in Victory Lane. (Byron also drives for Hendrick, so he has to be a little happy at least ;) ).  And the 100th win for the 24 car! How sweet is that?! LOL (I am a tad biased...)

Dang I miss the good ol' days of Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson going at it behind their Hendrick Motorsports cars...LOL

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/05/14/nascar-cup-series-2023-darlington-spring-race-recap/

I know I didn't post reviews of the last two F1 races (Azerbaijan and Miami). To be honest, the two Red Bulls are so much faster at the moment that they've scored a 1-2 finish in their last two outings with a win for each driver, so most of the racing has been for third place and back. In fact, Red Bull have won every race this season and had 1-2 finishes is four out of five.

I was hoping that the domination might stop this weekend at Imola, but the race has just been cancelled. The Emilia-Romagna region of Italy has suffered extensive flooding in the last couple of days, and it was decided today that the race couldn't go ahead. Given that the floods have already claimed eight lives, that has to be the right decision. Due to the crowded nature of this year's schedule, it's unlikely that they'll be able to find another date for the race. We'll now have to wait an extra week for the Monaco Grand Prix.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:12 PM, HossC said:

The Emilia-Romagna region of Italy has suffered extensive flooding in the last couple of days, and it was decided today that the race couldn't go ahead. Given that the floods have already claimed eight lives, that has to be the right decision.

The area apparently had six months' rain in 36 hours, and the death toll has now risen to 13. F1 has announced that they will donate €1 million (approx. $1,080,000) to the relief effort. This comes a day after Ferrari, whose factory is in the region, also pledged €1 million. F1 president and former Ferrari F1 team principal Stefano Domenicali is from Imola, which was to have hosted this weekend's Grand Prix.

7 hours ago, HossC said:

The area apparently had six months' rain in 36 hours, and the death toll has now risen to 13. F1 has announced that they will donate €1 million (approx. $1,080,000) to the relief effort. This comes a day after Ferrari, whose factory is in the region, also pledged €1 million. F1 president and former Ferrari F1 team principal Stefano Domenicali is from Imola, which was to have hosted this weekend's Grand Prix.

Wow, this is tough to hear about. My wife has co-workers vacationing in Italy right now. I'll have to see if I can get an update on them. I don't know what part they are in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Monaco is one of the most famous races on the F1 calendar with the cars driving around the narrow historic streets of the principality. After an early crash in qualifying, Red Bull's Sergio Perez started from the back, while his team mate, Max Verstappen, started on pole.

Monaco is a track where overtaking is virtually impossible, but some did take place in the midfield and towards the back. There were also some exciting moments when rain started falling about 2/3 of the way through the race. Some drivers pitted early for intermediate tires while others staying out on slicks. Surprisingly, there were no big crashes and no safety cars.

In the end, Max Verstappen led the whole race to take another victory, despite clipping the barriers a couple of times along the way. Sergio Perez only made it up to 16th, so the top four places were filled by four different manufacturers: Red Bull, Aston Martin, Alpine and Mercedes. It was a great result for Fernando Alonso (2nd) and Esteban Ocon (3rd). Lewis Hamilton (4th) was driving an upgraded car, but Monaco isn't a representative track, and the rain also confused the issue, so whether it's the step forward they were hoping for will be revealed next week in Spain.

Aston Martin and Mercedes are now only a point apart in 2nd and 3rd, but Red Bull have more points than both of them together.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:36 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

I saw that!  That was crazy!!

Penske Enterprise which owns the track and Indycar series is giving her a new car :tup:

Interesting how far nascar has strayed from its roots. Chase Elliott has been parked for one race for spinning Denny Hamlin into the wall. Growing up watching nascar in the 1980's driver's rarely got penalized this severely for wrecking opponents. Usually the drivers worked it out amongst themselves or the France's would slap them with a huge fine. Corey Lajoie will be driving the #9 this weekend. 

• 2 months later...

Well guess who made it into the NASCAR Hall of Fame! Davey Allison. Well as much as Allison is well deserving of the introduction, y'all know who I am excited about. JIMMIE JOHNSON and CHAD KNAUS has made it into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. There will never be another pair like JJ and Knaus. Nor will anyone be able to achieve what Johnson achieved in the 48 car.

I will always miss the days of Gordon and Johnson...

Let's go Chase Elliott!!!!!

27 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

You were the first person I thought of when that was announced. I'm happy for you and happy for the 48.....and.....

Let's go Chase Elliott!!!!!!

Thank you, Roger. I am excited for them. They deserve it. Though oddly the voting wasn't unanimous.  I guess there was three or so people who didn't even have Johnson on their voting ballet. I think those three people don't know diddly squat about NASCAR and need to be kicked off the panel. I'll be glad to replace them. ;) 

You made my day saying you thought of me with that.  :D  Something in this crazy NASCAR season has gone right, at least.

Chase Elliott needs a win soooo bad right now. Let's go Chase Elliott...lets get the win!

No one's been posting race results lately - me included!

Formula 1 is now on its summer break, but to summarize the season so far, Max Verstappen won his eighth race in a row last Sunday and his 10th out of 12 this year. The other two races were won by his Red Bull team mate Sergio Perez. Although there has been some good racing behind for the remaining podium positions and points, y'all can probably see why I didn't bother posting the F1 results.

19 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Nothing to worry about. Everybody stumbles once in awhile. Even Jesse Duke makes a bad batch of shine on occasion. Okay, that's a bad example. Jesse hasn't made a bad batch of shine since 1938. And that's only because Boss sabotaged it. 

I was going to say that I don't think Uncle Jesse could make a bad batch of shine if he tried. :D