NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

On 3/21/2023 at 6:55 PM, Garrett Duke said:

I said luckily, because I am a Gordon fan. I am sure Bowyer and his fans were disappointed that he was pulled out in time. I am not saying Gordon was in the right, but that did come after several times that season of getting wrecked by the same driver. I am sure he had enough and that was his way of sticking up for himself. 

I don't watch or follow it for the wrecks or the drama, but for the racing. Sadly the wrecks and drama tend to get in the way...

The same thing happens at the Moonshine 400. I've finished ahead of Hobie the last 3 years now and he's starting to get irritated so there could be trouble next race. I'm better than him at MarioKart too. He always finishes 12 and I finish 11th. 

15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

The same thing happens at the Moonshine 400. I've finished ahead of Hobie the last 3 years now and he's starting to get irritated so there could be trouble next race. I'm better than him at MarioKart too. He always finishes 12 and I finish 11th. 

That's only because I usually run out of shine half way through the race! LOL!! :) 

On 3/10/2023 at 12:34 AM, Garrett Duke said:

Hey Hoss...don't you like Jenson Button? Or am I imagining things again? 

Well if you do like him, you'll be interested in this article. If not, well then, I'm keeping y'all infomed.

Jenson Button is coming to NASCAR for the COTA race...

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/09/jenson-button-set-for-nascar-debut-at-cota/

I won't spoil anyone's race report as I didn't see the race, but I did check up on Jenson Button's progress. I see that he qualified in the middle of the pack and made up a few places by the end. He even had a chance to race against Kimi Raikkonen who was F1 World Champion in 2007, two years before Jenson.

Garrett, did you see that as well as another two NASCAR races, Jenson Button is teaming up with Jimmie Johnson to drive a modified version of the NASCAR Camaro in the Le Mans 24 Hours race later this year? They've even fitted lights! You can see a video here.

3 hours ago, HossC said:

I won't spoil anyone's race report as I didn't see the race, but I did check up on Jenson Button's progress. I see that he qualified in the middle of the pack and made up a few places by the end. He even had a chance to race against Kimi Raikkonen who was F1 World Champion in 2007, two years before Jenson.

Garrett, did you see that as well as another two NASCAR races, Jenson Button is teaming up with Jimmie Johnson to drive a modified version of the NASCAR Camaro in the Le Mans 24 Hours race later this year? They've even fitted lights! You can see a video here.

That is awesome, Hoss! I didn't hear that. I've heard Johnson's  name with Le Mans, but not that he would be teaming up with Button. That'd make for a great team!

Well y'all I got good  news and I got bad news. The bad news being that NASCAR upheld the $100,000 fine per each of the four teams of Hendrick as well as the four race suspension of the crew chief's for when they confiscated their hoods of their cars for their louvers. Good news is, is that they restored the driver and owner points for the teams.  

I find it kind of ironic that the they fined the 9 team (Chase Elliott) monetary, but didn't fine him points. It makes sense since he's not driving and it is a substitute but does that mean he still has to pay that much money? He wasn't even in the car or in the race...

Daniel Suraez got fined $50,000 for behavioral for running into the bumper repeatedly of Alex Bowman after the COTA race. Even nudging his own team mate to get to Bowman. I missed the race, the bad race fan that I am, so I didn't see why. Suarez isn't usually aggressive like that...but isn't Bowman already in enough stress with his fines and penalty (Bowman is a Hendrick driver)  then to be running into him like that? He should go pick on Kyle Busch or someone like that...

Just saying...LOL. :lol: 

Here is the article for more info...

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/29/nascar-fines-suarez-50000-for-post-race-incident-at-circuit-of-the-americas/

Had to roll my eyes :roll: at reading how NASCAR is upset that the board took away the points fine for the penalty of the Hendrick drivers. I get where they are coming from on how that is probably the biggest attention grabber...but still? They harsh much in their penalty? NASCAR just seems power hungry to me at this point. I wonder if Justin Haley appealed and if they will give him the same or not. I mean with his penalty...he is negative points. How is someone who races for an underfunded team suppose to climb out of that penalty?

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Negative points? Sounds like Hobie when he races in the Moonshine 400. That's why Hobie likes video games better. When you are going the wrong way in MarioKart a U-shaped arrow pops up to tell you to turn around. 

Give them time...maybe NASCAR will implement that into the race. HA. 

I'll try to give a review of the Australian Grand Prix, but I missed the end, and that's when the controversy took place.

Max Verstappen got pole yesterday, but after his team mate Sergio Perez crashed in the first qualifying session, he had to start from the back. That left Mercedes with a slightly surprising 2nd and 3rd, with George Russell out-qualifying Lewis Hamilton again.

Both Mercedes got past Verstappen at the start, and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc went off on the first lap. It wasn't long before the first safety car of the day caused by Alex Albon's crash. A couple of the lead drivers including Russell pitted for tires, but then the race was red-flagged for the first time. That gave all the other drivers a chance to change their tires without a pit stop, and handed Hamilton the lead.

Verstappen got past Hamilton to take the lead back. After making up a couple of places at the restart, Russell's engine caught fire and he had to retire.

With six laps remaining, Kevin Magnussen hit the wall causing the second red flag. The restart was not dissimilar to a NASCAR restart. Ferrari's Carlos Sainz hit Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso, sending the latter to the back of the field. Behind them, a couple of cars went off and the two Alpine drivers collided with each other. That brought out the final red flag. After a half-hour delay, the stewards decided to do the restart in the order the cars were in the lap before the red flag. The final restart came with one lap to go, and the race effectively finished behind the safety car. Sainz was given a 5-second penalty for his collision with Alonso which dropped him from 4th to 12th and out of the points.

Verstappen took the win, followed by Hamilton and Alonso. behind them, both McLaren's finished in the top 10 to score their first points of the season.

With the Chinese Grand Prix cancelled, it's now four weeks to the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Let's hope that it's decided on the track rather than in the stewards' office!

Well NASCAR has penalized William Byron and Alex Bowman after last week's race for some infraction or another. I can't find the article off hand, so I apologize for the lack of information. But they were penalized 60 points (regular season) and (10 championship points). 

I haven't heard anything from Bowman, but Bryon said he was upset. Which I don't blame him. I am too. It seems like NASCAR is just going after them at this point. All Hendrick teams got fined last month and they were fined a lot of points, but the points got overturned when Hendrick appealed it. NASCAR stated they were upset by the points being given back to the drivers because that's what was more important to the drivers. And now they fine them again? Yeah right, NASCAR. :roll: As if that's not targeting them...

Ok that's my opinion and it's a bit tinted. I'll give you that. But...

In more NASCAR news, it looks like Cale Yarborough is in need of our prayers. There isn't any information or at least that is what the article I read on my phone this morning said, but someone just tweeted that the toughest guy in NASCAR isn't doing good right now and is in need of prayers. (Or something like that.) It didn't sound too good. :(

They'll be racing at my favorite track tonight...Bristol! Kyle Larson has the pole...so at least something positive for my Hendrick team. I read earlier that Chase Elliott is healing and doing good and is on track to start as schedule...but has yet to say when he will be back. (I think they said next week would be his set to return day...) Hopefully we will hear back on him very soon...it's not the same without him. Though I am impressed Josh Berry (his replacement) did finish second last week!

1 hour ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well NASCAR has penalized William Byron and Alex Bowman after last week's race for some infraction or another. I can't find the article off hand, so I apologize for the lack of information. But they were penalized 60 points (regular season) and (10 championship points).

I found an article at foxsports.com which says:

NASCAR docked Hendrick's Alex Bowman and William Byron 60 points and five playoff points and suspended their interim crew chiefs for two races and fined them $75,000 after it found a modification to the greenhouse (center section of the car) during a teardown of their Richmond cars this week at NASCAR's research and development center.

2 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

In more NASCAR news, it looks like Cale Yarborough is in need of our prayers. There isn't any information or at least that is what the article I read on my phone this morning said, but someone just tweeted that the toughest guy in NASCAR isn't doing good right now and is in need of prayers. (Or something like that.) It didn't sound too good. :(

As you say, the information is scarce, but I found an article at foxnews.com. Here's a reminder of Cale's first appearance in Dukes:

Cale0207.jpg

Well y'all...here is the news I've been waiting six loooonnnnngggggg weeks for!

Chase Elliott will be behind the wheel of the number 9 car again this Sunday at Martinsville as he is returning from his leg injury.

Best news I've heard in like forever! 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/04/12/chase-elliott-to-return-to-action-at-martinsville-speedway/

On 4/12/2023 at 5:42 PM, Garrett Duke said:

Well y'all...here is the news I've been waiting six loooonnnnngggggg weeks for!

Chase Elliott will be behind the wheel of the number 9 car again this Sunday at Martinsville as he is returning from his leg injury.

Best news I've heard in like forever! 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/04/12/chase-elliott-to-return-to-action-at-martinsville-speedway/

YEEEHHAAWWWW! Thanks for letting us know!