NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well... the 2023 NASCAR season is underway as we have finished Daytona 500. As I mentioned earlier, I look forward to the Daytona 500 because it's the start of racing season and they put all the extra effort into it. But other than that, I'd prefer the other non restrictor plate races. The restrictor plate races seem to be all about the accidents and about the drivers throwing all common sense out the netted window. 

The first half of the race was pretty back and forth and not much to talk about other than Kevin Harvick getting into the back of Tyler Reddick to take him and Chase Elliott out of the race. 

The cautions kept coming out after ten laps to go of the race as they were all running each other over and bumping into each other. Kyle Busch was leading for a while towards the end in in his new #8 car. As was Brad Keselowski. 

Jimmie Johnson didn't forget none of his talents while he was away from NASCAR those two years and took off where he left off. He moved right up the field from starting in the back, but sadly got ran into the wall right at the end of the race.

The ended the race under caution and Ricky Stenhouse Jr won the Daytona 500.

I'm running short on time tonight, so I am sure this is short and I leaving out a bunch of detail. Will leave a couple of links for you to read more into it. I'll be more excited next week when the real racing starts...though sad that JJ probably won't be in it as he is only signed up to race a few races. (Secretly wishing he will change his mind tonight and go back full time...LOL)

Unofficial results of the Daytona 500 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/02/19/ricky-stenhouse-wins-daytona-500-after-thriller/

Thanks for the review Garrett. I'm out of reactions or I would give you a ❤. I'm pretty mad about missing the race. I have Dish Network and they are having a contract dispute with Fox. Fox threw a tantrum and took their ball and went home. They seem to do this a lot around football post-season. I was hoping it would have been settled after the Super Bowl. We had to go to my wife's sisters to see that. Thanks. I wish you would have had better news about Chase. 

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Thanks for the review Garrett. I'm out of reactions or I would give you a ❤. I'm pretty mad about missing the race. I have Dish Network and they are having a contract dispute with Fox. Fox threw a tantrum and took their ball and went home. They seem to do this a lot around football post-season. I was hoping it would have been settled after the Super Bowl. We had to go to my wife's sisters to see that. Thanks. I wish you would have had better news about Chase. 

Yeah I wish I did too. It was a rather disappointing day for Chase yesterday. I don't think they mentioned anything about Chase until he got wrecked, because he didn't give them anything to talk about him, about. Hopefully he'll be upfront next race. 

Disappointing that you don't have FOX too...I'd be mad. Ironically FOX is one of the few channels that I actually get through my antenea . Knock on wood. It kept threatening to break up and I'd hold my breath and it'd come back on. LOL. 

22 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I kind of like him but what happened to Rusty Wallace?  I like Denny Hamlin and a few others.

Rusty Wallace retired years ago. He owns a race track (that's not on the NASCAR circuit) in Iowa (where I live. LOL). Denny Hamlin is currently racing...though that's fighting words for Chase Elliott. LOL.  He intentionally wrecked Chase Elliott a few years ago (us NASCAR fans don't forget...LOL). Though I will give Hamlin Kudos because when Elliott wrecked him back the week after, he admitted he had that one coming. Most drivers won't admit to that, even if they had it coming to them. 

Well y'all I got some good news and I got some bad news. Good news is that we are racing at Fontana at the Auto Club Speedway. The home track of Kyle Larson who had won the race last year and is favored to win again. Sad news being, is that this is the last race at Fontana. NASCAR has gotten a lot of money out of the land that the track is on...or so I read this morning. But still sad to see such an iconic race track leave the circuit. Of what I read is that NASCAR plans on using the money to promote more fan experience...which is great for all those lucky people who get to go to the races. As for me, it's just another loss of a great track. But I'm just glad it's not Bristol...I'd probably pack my fandom bags and leave at that one. That's my all time favorite. Maybe they can use all that new found money to build another Bristol here in Iowa...;) 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/02/24/what-to-watch-2023-auto-club-speedway/#:~:text=What%20to%20Watch%3A%202023%20Auto%20Club%20Speedway

As for me...I'm just hoping that Chase Elliott will be in the top contenders and will be talked about in a positive way at the end of the race. LOL. As much as I love the Daytona as it's the start of the season...the real racing starts today!

10 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Is it on Fox again? I still don't have it because of the contract dispute with Dish Network. When does it start? 

Yeah it's on Fox. There is weather in the area and the race start has been pushed back to close to 4pm. Pretty good chance to get the full race in but with all the weird weather California is getting this week it might be postponed or rain shortened.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah it's on Fox. There is weather in the area and the race start has been pushed back to close to 4pm. Pretty good chance to get the full race in but with all the weird weather California is getting this week it might be postponed or rain shortened.

Dang I wasn't even thinking about the weather in California. Of course mother nature has to act up where the race is at...

42 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well y'all. Sorry to disappoint you. I didn't watch the race. It's still going on and Kyle Busch is on, but am currently on a virtual meeting. Had left earlier and had done meal prep and laundry. I hate being an adult...

Well like I said...I missed the race because I went out for lunch (shame on me) and then came back and got stuff ready for this week. But the race is over. Kyle Busch has won his first race with his new team, new car, and new car number. . .and new sponsor. LOL. Chase Elliott came in second. (I bring my favorites bad luck, so maybe it's best I didn't watch the race. HA!)  Hopefully I will watch next week's race and have a more in depth description. Sorry for my letting y'all down. ;) 

Auto Club Speedway results