NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

6 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

As entertaining that would be...I doubt some of the sponsors would have a word or two about that. Plus they wreck each other more than they should to begin  with...they don't need alcohol to help with that. LOL 

We usually don't have that many wrecks believe it or not! ....We use "  The Force" to help guide us! :) 

9 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

I never understood why they felt the need to build the Coliseum or what their fascination is with it...take it dirt track at Bristol. I'd be all for that.  Just not for the publicity stunt they are throwing around now...

Los Angeles will be hosting the Olympics again in 2028. Although the Coliseum was built in 1923, it was an iconic venue for the previous games in 1932 and 1984, so maybe it's a bit of early publicity. However, it doesn't look that well suited to NASCAR racing.

It's a shame they closed the Riverside Raceway in California (as seen in footage in 'Undercover Dukes'). That closed in 1989 and held its last NASCAR race a year earlier. The site is now covered by housing and a shopping mall.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, Garrett Duke said:

I guess they will be taking away the California Auto Club Speedway in 2024 for a couple of years due to construction. People are throwing out the idea of putting the Coliseum in it's place in the play offs. :roll: Like Denny Hamlin said...they had a hard time fitting all the cars on the track as it is...how they going to put 40 cars out there. 

I don't think they will do that at the Coliseum. It's just not big enough. They might try Portland for just one race to replace Auto club speedway for 2024 season. They're turning auto club speedway into a short track. The plan is to basically use the front stretch and then put in two narrow turns like Martinsville and a short back stretch so it'll look like a shorter narrower Richmond. It's supposed to be done for 2025 season.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I don't think they will do that at the Coliseum. It's just not big enough. They might try Portland for just one race to replace Auto club speedway for 2024 season. They're turning auto club speedway into a short track. The plan is to basically use the front stretch and then put in two narrow turns like Martinsville and a short back stretch so it'll look like a shorter narrower Richmond. It's supposed to be done for 2025 season.

Well then...I'm not too excited for their update. HA. I like the short tracks that they got out there  now, but don't feel like they need more. I feel NASCAR is looking for more wrecks and so forth to bring in more people. Oh well...I will take any NASCAR right now. LOL.  

EIGHT MORE DAYS UNTIL THE DAYTONA 500!!!!! Bet y'all can't guess who's excited... ;) 

Following on from my last F1 post, Red Bull confirmed a tie-up with Ford to supply engines from 2026.

The F1 teams are currently launching their 2023 cars ahead of pre-season testing in Bahrain in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully that'll enable us to move on to happier news after a few recent controversies. All the drivers have expressed concern that the FIA (the sport's governing body) have prohibited "personal, religious and political statements" by drivers without written consent. It might also be the end of the pro-diversity 'We Race As One' campaign that F1 has promoted since 2020. The FIA president, Mohammed Ben Sulayem, is also stepping back from direct involvement in the sport after trying to control aerodynamic changes to cars himself, commenting on financial matters and the discovery of misogynistic comments on a historic website of his.

Roll on the return to racing!

Guess what's on Sunday y'all...the Daytona 500. The Super Bowl of NASCAR. It's been a busy speed weeks with qualifying and the duals last night. But the field has been set and teammates Alex Bowman and Kyle Larson will start out front as they were set by qualifying. The rest of the field were set by the duals last night. Joey Logano won the first dual so he will start third and Aric Almirola won the second dual and he will start fourth. 

Dual results and the starting line up for the Daytona 500!

This will be NASCAR's 75th year of racing...I'd say I'd hope it be the best one yet, but I feel like all those were back when Gordon and Johnson were both racing full time. LOL. I'm biased. Johnson will be racing in the Daytona 500 though for his own team and in car #84. His old number 48 will be starting first...LOL.

It will be the 65th running of Daytona 500. The race will be Sunday, February 19 at 2:30 ET on channel FOX.

Two more sleeps y'all! Bet you can't guess who is excited...

On 2/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, RogerDuke said:

Interesting......I didn't know Daytona came around 10 years later. Ya always learn something when you hang out with Garrett. 

Very true! You guys will need to come to the Moonshine 400 when it comes around this year!

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

4 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Guess what's on Sunday y'all...the Daytona 500. The Super Bowl of NASCAR. It's been a busy speed weeks with qualifying and the duals last night. But the field has been set and teammates Alex Bowman and Kyle Larson will start out front as they were set by qualifying. The rest of the field were set by the duals last night. Joey Logano won the first dual so he will start third and Aric Almirola won the second dual and he will start fourth. 

Dual results and the starting line up for the Daytona 500!

This will be NASCAR's 75th year of racing...I'd say I'd hope it be the best one yet, but I feel like all those were back when Gordon and Johnson were both racing full time. LOL. I'm biased. Johnson will be racing in the Daytona 500 though for his own team and in car #84. His old number 48 will be starting first...LOL.

It will be the 65th running of Daytona 500. The race will be Sunday, February 19 at 2:30 ET on channel FOX.

Two more sleeps y'all! Bet you can't guess who is excited...

Um 2 more sleeps? Lol. Don't ya mean 2 more weeks cousin? ;)

41 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

Hopefully that is a thing of the past and that no one is. NASCAR needs a wake up call on  what sport they are in.  ;) We are NASCAR...not football!

Sometimes language can be confusing. Hoss calls soccer, football. I wonder if he calls NASCAR football too. I mean, they do tackle each after races sometimes. Enjoy the race everybody.

Edited by RogerDuke

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Sometimes language can be confusing. Hoss calls soccer, football. I wonder if he calls NASCAR football too. I mean, they do tackle each after races sometimes. Enjoy the race everybody.

What you call football is the third or fourth sport known as football over here. The first two are soccer and Gaelic, and the third and fourth are American football and Aussie rules. The Super Bowl was widely covered over here, and some people took the Monday off work to watch it, but Rihanna's pregnancy was probably bigger news than the result.

6 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Nope...the Daytona 500 is  TODAY!!!! No more sleeps now. Just a couple of more hours and the checkered flag will drop. 

LETS GO CHASE ELLIOTT!!!!

What I'm doing now, is watching the Daytona 500 and I'm  gettihng  ready for the Moonshine 400! And I'm enjoying some AB ( Adult Beveriges!)  !!  Green/White checkered.......

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

3 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

What I'm doing now, is watching the Daytona 500 and I'm  gettihng  ready for the Moonshine 400! And I'm enjoying some AB ( Adult Beveriges!)  !!  Green/White checkered.......

Am sure your race will be better than the Daytona 500...I think they were drinking your shine during the second half of the race. LOL

10 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Ricky Stenhouse wins!!  ( better luck next time for all the Hazzard boys!)

He did...it was a wreck fest the last few laps. I think they forget how to race when the race comes to an end... LOL. My guys didn't fare too well. Jimmie did so well until he was ran into the wall towards the end of the race. So disappointing! Chase was wrecked in the first half. Not a great race on my end. LOL. 

Edited by Garrett Duke

2 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

quite true! This was somewhat absurd!

I am glad that I wasn't the only one feeling that. Was thinking that maybe I was thinking that because it affected most of my drivers. But it shouldn't be like that. I will be glad next week when we are not on restrictor plate track any more. I feel like drivers forget common sense when it comes to restrictor plate racing.