NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

On 1/21/2023 at 10:46 AM, Garrett Duke said:

Kenseth, Shelmerdine, and McGriff into NASCAR Hall of Fame

Matt Kenseth, Kirk Shelmerdine, and Hershel McGriff were inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Matt Kenseth won the 2003 NASCAR championship (if I remember right, the first playoff championship). Shelmerdine was with Dale Earnhardt SR to help him with his seven championships, and McGriff won a few races...he raced in 2018 at the age of 90. I can't remember that, but how awesome is that? 

The only name of the three I know is Matt Kenseth. I watched him race against Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Gordon got his first punishment against Kenseth. They were racing at Bristol, Kenseth as leading and got booted from the lead, Gordon as third and on the last lap Kenseth wrecked Gordon. Immediately came over to apologize (Gordon still had helmet on) Gordon was mad and pushed Kenseth. Kenseth later said he should have waited a bit before apologizing...but NASCAR punished Gordon for pushing Kenseth. 

15 more days until the Clash at Bristol!

29 long days until the Daytona 500! We are slowly getting there y'all!

OK I lied. the Clash isn't at Bristol...it in LA. I'd just prefer it to be at Bristol. My favorite track! LOL. 

Edited by Garrett Duke

Guess what y'all...only eight more days until the Clash at the Coliseum in LA. 22 more days until Daytona...am I the only one who's excited here? Forget about the NFL championship and the Super Bowl. The REAL Super Bowl is in 22 days...

PS...I heard a rumor in an article that Jimmie Johnson hinted he may be racing more than just a few races. Do I dare get my hopes up for another full season? I'd be so torn between him and Chase Elliott. I've liked several drivers outside of the Hendrick camp, but my Hendrick drivers have always came before them...so I'd definitely be torn. But it's Jimmie Johnson!!!! Ol' Seven Time! (OK . . .I won't cross that bridge until JJ makes it official and it's not just some writer throwing out false hope on the internet over a statement JJ said on Twitter. But I can dream, can't I??? LOL)

Sorry I had to write something NASCAR...I am getting restless here. I need NASCAR to get here to break up my winter blues and SAD. Better yet...bring on baseball. Nothing gets better than NASCAR and baseball!  

10 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

You'll blink your eyes and it will be here. Cue the music: It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Sunday night is the Clash y'all! I am excited, though sad, because my family is going out for birthday celebrations. But the race is later, so  hopefully will catch some of it. It is getting close! Just not close enough...ha!

Well  y'all...they may not be racing for points, but there is a race on TONIGHT! Am I the only one excited? Sadly, it is on a week night and I have to wake up at 4 tomorrow morning. So I don't know if I'll watch it or not. But I am excited none the less. Wish they had it last night...

The Busch Light Clash at the LA Coliseum is on tonight at 8:00 ET on channel FOX. 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/02/04/setting-the-stage-los-angeles-set-for-second-annual-clash-at-the-coliseum/

Two more weeks until the real deal...the real Super Bowl...The Daytona 500!!!!!  

Well y'all I got a confession to make...I didn't watch the whole race. Or most of the race. I was getting stuff ready for work today last night at the beginning of the race so I was watching it while doing that. And they had like 75 more laps to go until the race ended. As I stated earlier, I get up early work days and I TRY to get to bed at at decent time. Though that seldom happens. I would have been more tempted to stay up to watch the end if Chase Elliot was at least in the run of the race...he spent all night in the back. Running into Ryan Blaney in the beginning of the race, surely didn't help his cause any.

The race was full of caution flags for one thing or another. The first one was for Erik Jones. They had Jimmie Johnson in the booth talking to him when it happened and he stopped and was like "Oh well thats my car." Odd hearing him say that and not him out on the track. Will be excited to see him behind the wheel in a couple of weeks at Daytona. Mentioned that he was going to be racing the street race in Chicago in July...and had a handful of races he was trying to chose from.

At the end, Martin Truex Jr won the race. 

I don't know...I wasn't as hyped up or as excited about it as I was before the race. I am sure Chase being stuck in the back had something to deal with it, but I also felt like NASCAR was trying to gain more a different crowd base or something. They had what seemed to be a halftime show with a rapper singing (if you call that singing) I couldn't really understand what he was saying other than a few lines about how white girls like him or something like that.  Though, if I remember right, it seems like Dierks Bentley is going to be at the Daytona 500, so at least they'll be going back to Country.  HA.

Anyways...here is the link for the results of the Clash:

https://www.nascar.com/results/racecenter/2023/nascar-cup-series/busch-light-clash-at-the-coliseum/stn/recap/

Thirteen more days until they'll be racing for points and it'll be for the real thing...I so can't wait!

Edited by Garrett Duke

5 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well y'all I got a confession to make...I didn't watch the whole race. Or most of the race. 

I haven't been this shocked since that day I found out Boss Hogg had a twin brother! Thanks for the race report though. Without Chase near the front of the pack it didn't sound too exciting anyways. 

20 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

I don't know...I wasn't as hyped up or as excited about it as I was before the race. I am sure Chase being stuck in the back had something to deal with it, but I also felt like NASCAR was trying to gain more a different crowd base or something. They had what seemed to be a halftime show with a rapper singing (if you call that singing) I couldn't really understand what he was saying other than a few lines about how white girls like him or something like that.

The rapper was Wiz Khalifa. While I've heard of him, I don't know his music. NASCAR is obviously looking to expand its audience (seeing as its traditional audience is waning), but the reviews I've read are very mixed. The crowd seemed to enjoy the show, but USC had a stand there, so I'm not surprised that it went over well with their students. Personally, I didn't mind the performance, but the concept of having a halftime show in the middle of a race is completely alien to me. Fair enough in football, soccer, rugby or sports that have a natural break, but I can't imagine having an F1 race interrupted by seven minutes of music.

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I haven't been this shocked since that day I found out Boss Hogg had a twin brother! Thanks for the race report though. Without Chase near the front of the pack it didn't sound too exciting anyways. 

LOL Roger. You are welcome. No it really wasn't. Maybe I'd have felt differently if he had some what of a bid in the race.

3 hours ago, HossC said:

The rapper was Wiz Khalifa. While I've heard of him, I don't know his music. NASCAR is obviously looking to expand its audience (seeing as its traditional audience is waning), but the reviews I've read are very mixed. The crowd seemed to enjoy the show, but USC had a stand there, so I'm not surprised that it went over well with their students. Personally, I didn't mind the performance, but the concept of having a halftime show in the middle of a race is completely alien to me. Fair enough in football, soccer, rugby or sports that have a natural break, but I can't imagine having an F1 race interrupted by seven minutes of music.

Thanks Hoss. I saw his name on the sign, but I couldn't read it. I am sure if you listened to his music, you'd probably understand more of what he was saying. I've never heard of him before, but that's not exactly my kind of music.  I do get them trying to get a bigger fan base and more people, so I assume that is why. And yeah...half time shows don't belong in the middle of the race. Just out of sorts. LOL. 

21 minutes ago, HossC said:

:previous:

F1 used to have its grid girls standing next to the cars on the grid while holding boards with the drivers' numbers on them. After many decades, they were banned in 2018. I thought the move was a little over-the-top at the time, but I can't say I've missed them.

MotoGP still has the girls who hold the umbrellas and Supercross has a girl who holds up a sign indicating the gate will drop in 30 seconds. And then they have 3 girls on the 3 podiums at the end of the race. None of them are as hot as Emma Tisdale but they're not bad. 

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

What's next, cheerleaders? 

Oh please no...don't be going and giving them any more crazy ideas. 

I guess they will be taking away the California Auto Club Speedway in 2024 for a couple of years due to construction. People are throwing out the idea of putting the Coliseum in it's place in the play offs. :roll: Like Denny Hamlin said...they had a hard time fitting all the cars on the track as it is...how they going to put 40 cars out there. 

Also...Kevin Harvick, who is retiring after this season, will be in the Fox NASCAR booth for the 2024 season. That should be interesting. I still miss Gordon...LOL  

Garret you're not the only one that didn't watch the whole Clash. Once they got to the "halftime" show I turned it off. I'm with Dale jr I hope this is the last year they do the coliseum race. There's plenty of short tracks on the west coast they could hold this race instead of having to temporarily build one. Or better yet move it to a short track in Florida and bring back the speed weeks. 

On 2/8/2023 at 7:40 PM, Spike said:

Garret you're not the only one that didn't watch the whole Clash. Once they got to the "halftime" show I turned it off. I'm with Dale jr I hope this is the last year they do the coliseum race. There's plenty of short tracks on the west coast they could hold this race instead of having to temporarily build one. Or better yet move it to a short track in Florida and bring back the speed weeks. 

Glad to hear I wasn't alone to hear that I am in great company as you and Dale Jr. I was not impressed. I think they are trying to gain viewers and compete with other sports as they've seemed to be doing ever since they created the Chase. But what they don't realize is, is that they are losing the viewers they already had in doing so and that NASCAR isn't like football or any other sport. NASCAR needs to step out of it and just allow them to race as they use to do and make it about racing. Not the extra thrills and frills they throw in there.  I never understood why they felt the need to build the Coliseum or what their fascination is with it...take it dirt track at Bristol. I'd be all for that.  Just not for the publicity stunt they are throwing around now...

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm just happy to see California is still investing money into race tracks. 

True that, Roger. But there is no way they will fit all 40 cars in that small track of the Coliseum and have it work out. They were already running over one another and it was half of that last week.  They should add an extra Bristol race...LOL. I love Bristol. 

28 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Well they can always compete in my Moonshine 400! :) ...... That will be coming later on this year! 

As entertaining that would be...I doubt some of the sponsors would have a word or two about that. Plus they wreck each other more than they should to begin  with...they don't need alcohol to help with that. LOL