NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

On 11/22/2022 at 7:52 PM, Garrett Duke said:

It does sound fun...:) 

It is definitely more fun than the Buttermilk 4.00 where you have to chug a quart of buttermilk and run around the barn 4 times without barfing. Nobody has made it all 4 laps yet but whoever gets the farthest wins. Hobie won it last year with a personal best of 2.75 laps.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:58 PM, RogerDuke said:

It is definitely more fun than the Buttermilk 4.00 where you have to chug a quart of buttermilk and run around the barn 4 times without barfing. Nobody has made it all 4 laps yet but whoever gets the farthest wins. Hobie won it last year with a personal best of 2.75 laps.

Sorry to say, Roger, but that doesn't sound too fun. HA!

On 11/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Garrett Duke said:

Oh I love racing...just not of milk or people getting sick. LOL. 

Hmmm, that gives me an idea. You could still come to the race but you can be the one who shoots the starter gun and waves the checkered flag. Except....we've never really used the checkered flag. Nobody has ever finished all four laps so if you left right after the race started you won't have to witness all the carnage. If you are on probation and can't shoot a starter gun, I'm sure Bo or Luke will lend you a bow and dynamite arrow. 

I've been a bit lazy reporting the last couple of races of the F1 season because the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships had already been decided. The season finished on November 20th, but it's taken me a week to post the review. Like last year, the final race of the season was in Abu Dhabi, but this time without the controversial ending.

For the race, the top three teams qualified in pairs, with the Red Bulls on the front row, the Ferraris on the second row and the Mercedes on the third row. This year's champion, Max Verstappen, got a good start and never looked back, taking an easy win for a record-breaking 15th time in a season. Lewis Hamilton had a first lap incident with Carlos Sainz and great game of cat and mouse with Sergio Perez, but eventually had to retire with hydraulic issues. It's the first year of his F1 career where he hasn't had a pole position or win. Charles Leclerc held off Sergio Perez to claim second place in the race and the Drivers' Championship, and also secured Ferrari's second place in the Constructors' Championship ahead of Mercedes.

A fair bit of the weekend's coverage was devoted to four-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel, who has decided to retire from F1. He managed to claim a single point for finishing 10th in his final race.

You can watch the race highlights here.

Next year in F1, Daniel Ricciardo returns to Red Bull as a reserve/test driver, while his place at McLaren is taken by 2021 Formula 2 champion and current Alpine reserve driver Oscar Piastri. F2 driver Logan Sargeant takes Nicholas Latifi's place at Williams. Nico Hulkenberg returns to F1 to replace Mick Schumacher at Haas. 2021 Formula E World Champion Nyck de Vries joins F1 to replace Pierre Gasly at Alpha Tauri. Gasly moves to Alpine to replace Fernando Alonso, and Alonso moves to Aston Martin to replace Sebastian Vettel. Driver line-ups at Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Alfa Romeo remain the same as this year.

In other news, McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown has called for a change to the current driver qualification system to make it easier for IndyCar drivers to join F1 by employing a similar 'super-licence' system to Formula 2. It was also announced last week that next year's Chinese Grand Prix has been cancelled due to the country's Covid policies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this isn't any noteworthy news to anyone...but I am really missing my Chicago Cubs baseball and my NASCAR. Don't know if it has been posted by anyone, but Jimmie Johnson is baaaacccckkkkk in NASCAR where he belongs. Just for a wrong team...but the Dukes will be happy. He is now co owner of Richard Petty's team and will race a limited amount of races for him. With a different number. Different team. Don't get me wrong, I like Richard Petty...but Jimmie Johnson belongs at Hendrick behind the 48 car. Seeing him in any other number and in any other team, is just wrong.  But he couldn't co own Hendrick as his old boss has that job now, Jeff Gordon. So it makes sense that ol' 7 time would go to the other 7 time team to co-own.

Dang I miss the Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson days...that was when racing was good and exciting. And well...before NASCAR completely ruined it.  Don't get me wrong I will always love NASCAR thanks to the Dukes and Jeff Gordon / Jimmie Johnson. And I do really like Chase Elliott. But it's not the same with all the new changes and everything else. 

Anyway...Daytona 500 can't get here soon enough. Either can April...when life gets good again when I have Chase Elliott and the Chicago Cubs to follow! 

1 minute ago, Garrett Duke said:

Dang I miss the Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson days...that was when racing was good and exciting. And well...before NASCAR completely ruined it.  Don't get me wrong I will always love NASCAR thanks to the Dukes and Jeff Gordon / Jimmie Johnson. And I do really like Chase Elliott. But it's not the same with all the new changes and everything else. 

I know what you mean about missing things. I'm pretty sentimental myself. So much so that Chase is my favorite driver because his father was mentioned on a Dukes episode....and he's a Georgia boy. I still miss Cale because of his Dukes connection but as long as someone in NASCAR has a Dukes connection I'll be rooting for them. 

Just now, RogerDuke said:

I know what you mean about missing things. I'm pretty sentimental myself. So much so that Chase is my favorite driver because his father was mentioned on a Dukes episode....and he's a Georgia boy. I still miss Cale because of his Dukes connection but as long as someone in NASCAR has a Dukes connection I'll be rooting for them. 

Well it's not Gordon's or Johnson's fault they started their NASCAR career after the Dukes or that their dad's weren't in the business to be mentioned in the Dukes. Or that their hometown is in California. Why hold it against them? ;) 

I like Chase...but because I knew he was being eyed as Gordon's replacement way back before he came to the Xfinitiy Series. So I started to keep tabs of him since then, then officially when that sad day that Gordon walked away and Elliott took over the 24 car.  And now the 9 car. He better race for the next fifty years or so...because I don't know what or who I'd follow without him. Someone with Hendrick...Larson, Bowman, or Byron. Still not the same as Elliott. Just like Elliott will never replace Gordon or Johnson in my eyes. 

I am very sentimental. HA. I will always miss Gordon and Johnson behind the wheel just like I miss seeing Ryne Sandberg out at second base in his Chicago Cubs uniform. . .

18 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well it's not Gordon's or Johnson's fault they started their NASCAR career after the Dukes or that their dad's weren't in the business to be mentioned in the Dukes. Or that their hometown is in California. Why hold it against them? ;) 

Of course I don't hold that against them. I'm just not the type of person who can watch a race (or any sporting event for that matter) and not root for somebody. I'm not as big of a NASCAR fan as you and don't know as much about the drivers and teams as you do, so it can be tough for me to decide who to like.  The Dukes connection just gives a little edge in my mind. But, hey...Dukes was filmed in California, so there's that! As you remember, I did like Johnson though! And I do root for the Cubs because of you....unless they are playing the Pirates that day....but anybody can beat my Pirates.

1 minute ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I like the Braves myself...not sure who my favorite driver is now! When I used to dip Kodiak, Rusty Wallace and the Kodiak car was my fav. but now....not sure....Denny Hamlin maybe?? 

I'm a Pirate, Steeler and Penguins fan myself because I grew up with them but my second favorites are Atlanta teams because of Dukes. I guess that makes the Cubs number 3 instead of 2. Woops. 

29 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Of course I don't hold that against them. I'm just not the type of person who can watch a race (or any sporting event for that matter) and not root for somebody. I'm not as big of a NASCAR fan as you and don't know as much about the drivers and teams as you do, so it can be tough for me to decide who to like.  The Dukes connection just gives a little edge in my mind. But, hey...Dukes was filmed in California, so there's that! As you remember, I did like Johnson though! And I do root for the Cubs because of you....unless they are playing the Pirates that day....but anybody can beat my Pirates.

I know you don't and I totally understand. I am the same way with other sports...like I was going for the Yankees post season since they have my Anthony Rizzo...who should still be with the Cubs if you ask me...which no one has. But you get my free opinion...HA! I have to find some connection, so I totally get it and was giving you a hard time. I can't give you too much of a hard time, because you did go for Johnson and you like Chase Elliott. Now if you liked some of them other drivers...I'd have something to really give you a hard time over. And if it helps you feel any better, it's the Dukes that got me into liking NASCAR to begin with and the only way I found Gordon to follow is he was in a People's magazine when I first found interest in NASCAR and then it took off...took me a long time to get to understand the sport and all that went on and to get to know the drivers...now most of those are gone and they got these young kids out there. But I am all about the Duke connection thing...

I appreciate you going for my Cubs because of me. That just made my day. They need you and everyone's support.  I always think of you when it comes to the Pirates too. 

15 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm a Pirate, Steeler and Penguins fan myself because I grew up with them but my second favorites are Atlanta teams because of Dukes. I guess that makes the Cubs number 3 instead of 2. Woops. 

Well Roger...that's just rude. I now feel dejected and spit upon. ;) My poor Cubs...

I'm all about my Chicago sports thanks to my Cubbies...I'm in Iowa so I have no professional sports team. So I go for the Cubs...have since I was four years old. I'm beyond hope. LOL. My Bears are pretty much beyond hope this season as well. It's been kinda painful. HA. Maybe the Blackhawks and Bulls will pull it off. ;) 

24 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I like the Braves myself...not sure who my favorite driver is now! When I used to dip Kodiak, Rusty Wallace and the Kodiak car was my fav. but now....not sure....Denny Hamlin maybe?? 

Well it looks like you are looking for suggestions on who to follow. Forget Hamlin. He  purposefully wrecked my Elliott. I think Elliott would be a better choice for you to follow now that ol' Rusty's retired and all that. I mean Elliott is from Georgia...where  your Braves call home and all. ;) 

1 minute ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

My mother saw the Pirates in the hotel room she stayed in when  she went to Florida as a child. I think they were playing somebody in Florida. So I tend to like them as well but not as much as the Braves! 

That'd be cool to see them or another team like that. I've seen my Cubs at Wrigley Field several times...does that count for anything? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

Well it looks like you are looking for suggestions on who to follow. Forget Hamlin. He  purposefully wrecked my Elliott. I think Elliott would be a better choice for you to follow now that ol' Rusty's retired and all that. I mean Elliott is from Georgia...where  your Braves call home and all. ;) 

You have a good point and I'm disappointed in Hamlin. I don't care who you are! There's no excuse for wrecking anybody!

7 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

You have a good point and I'm disappointed in Hamlin. I don't care who you are! There's no excuse for wrecking anybody!

Chase is the best out there. :) I'm a tad biased. And to give credit to Hamlin (he doesn't deserve any...lol) that as a couple of years ago. He wrecked Chase right before he was going to win the race...Chase got him back the next race. And for once, Hamlin admit afterwards that he had it coming. It just something you don't forget when  your driver is about to win the race and some so called driver wrecks him intentionally for the win. Hamlin doesn't seem to make much friends out on the track like that...but he's not the only driver that seems to drive that way. I feel like Hendrick as a team is pretty clean team of drivers...not going to say they are flawless or without any fault, but they don't seem to be out there looking to cause wrecks or trouble. Then again...I am biased. HA.