NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I probably shouldn't ruin a good NASCAR thread by saying how bad I'm going to beat you in fantasy baseball so I'll be quiet now. 

Sounds like Roger is talking in his sleep again.  He's doing to be disappointed when he wakes up and has to face the reality of him losing to me and my amazing and powerful fantasy baseball team . ;)

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I bet you are right. The numbers are spiking (no fault of yours Spike). It's not looking good for any sport in 2020. 

Yeah I'll be shocked if they don't cancel MLB and NFL seasons this year. 

My wife's cousin caught it, he's been in bed the better part if the week. His fever finally broke yesterday. He's a strong healthy guy in his mid 40's and he says it's like the worst cold/flu he's ever had. A couple of days he only got out of bed just to go to the bathroom. It's definitely not a virus to take lightly.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah I'll be shocked if they don't cancel MLB and NFL seasons this year. 

My wife's cousin caught it, he's been in bed the better part if the week. His fever finally broke yesterday. He's a strong healthy guy in his mid 40's and he says it's like the worst cold/flu he's ever had. A couple of days he only got out of bed just to go to the bathroom. It's definitely not a virus to take lightly.

Scarey stuff. I have lyme disease and a faulty heart valve so I have to be careful and do my best to avoid it. My wife works in a hospital so of course we are concerned and take precautions. Very few people around here are taking precautions though..

On 7/4/2020 at 10:57 AM, RogerDuke said:

Very few people around here are taking precautions though..

I've noticed that here as well a lot more lately. Yesterday when we were heading to the in laws for a cookout I noticed quite a few people had party's and very few people wearing masks and definitely no social distancing, especially in the swimming pools I could see from the road when we went by.

In one of the state addresses this past week the governor said if the infection spike keeps trending upwards he will close businesses again. 

Stewart Haas racing swept the Brickyard Nascar races this past weekend with Chase Briscoe winning Saturday's inaugural Xfinity road course race and Kevin Harvick winning the 400 Sunday. The other SHR cars finished 3rd Aric Almirola, 5th Cole Custer and 16th Clint Bowyer. This was the 4th time Matt Kenseth finished 2nd at the Brickyard 400. Brad Keselowski finished 4th.

There was a pileup on pitroad during the first round of pitstops that took out a number of cars including Martin Tried jr, Corey Lajoie, Justin Allgaier who was subbing in the #48 for Jimmie Johnson, Brennan Poole, Ryan Preece and Ricky Stenhouse jr. Ryan Blaney's tire changer was injured when he was struck by Brennan Poole but was able to pull himself to safety and was released from the hospital overnight.

Right side tire issues took out a lot of competitors during the brickyard 400 including Denny Hamlin who was leading and likely to win. Hopefully Goodyear can figure out what the issue was as those were some violent looking wrecks.

On a side note I don't know about you guys but I'm getting kind of sick of hearing the Fox and NBC guys bringing up the race and blm thing every chance they can during cautions and red flags, pre race and post race shows. To me it kind of makes it seem like Nascar and it's fans were stuck in the dark ages until now which is a load of BS. 

Wasn't able to watch the whole thing. Just too late. Harvick won so I enjoyed that coming out of bed Monday morning though. :) 

Was amazed at the amount of tyre failures. That was more than anyone bargained for I bet. I have to say that I'm very surprised since really starting to watch nascar since late last year at the amount of tyre failures that actually come with oval racing. I heard its just the continued stress a tyre has to indure in the banks but I'm just surprised by this. If This would have happened as much in F1 the manufacturer would have changed the tyre structures 3 times already.

I watched some races of the NASCAR Pro Invitational iRacing championship where I heard commentary from Mike joy and Jeff Gordon. This was before Everything revolving around BLM kicked off. It was very insightful commentary I must say. The only 'unprofessionalism' I guess that you'd call it which I found quite funny everytime is when Gordon was trying to communicate with someone who was driving and he couldn't 'get through' on the radio. Was cool to see North Wilkesboro on there!

Usually we have Rick Winkelman doing commentary for us here in Dutch. Which is also very insightful. But there is no co-commentator, so there is no storytelling/jokes or what you'd call it between commentators which I slightly miss. It's is very funny though when you guys in the USA go to commercials. Cause we hear your intro and outro music as its the world feed NASCAR is sending out. But we have no commercials! It just cuts to random onboard cameras and static trackside cameras till You guys are back from the break and the music fades back in. It's almost as if the whole of the NASCAR production team goes on break everytime.

Our commentator often uses this time to catch up on what happened and to answer twitter questions. Have had my questions answered a few times which was cool.

16 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

Wasn't able to watch the whole thing. Just too late. Harvick won so I enjoyed that coming out of bed Monday morning though. :) 

Was amazed at the amount of tyre failures. That was more than anyone bargained for I bet. I have to say that I'm very surprised since really starting to watch nascar since late last year at the amount of tyre failures that actually come with oval racing. I heard its just the continued stress a tyre has to indure in the banks but I'm just surprised by this. If This would have happened as much in F1 the manufacturer would have changed the tyre structures 3 times already.

I watched some races of the NASCAR Pro Invitational iRacing championship where I heard commentary from Mike joy and Jeff Gordon. This was before Everything revolving around BLM kicked off. It was very insightful commentary I must say. The only 'unprofessionalism' I guess that you'd call it which I found quite funny everytime is when Gordon was trying to communicate with someone who was driving and he couldn't 'get through' on the radio. Was cool to see North Wilkesboro on there!

Usually we have Rick Winkelman doing commentary for us here in Dutch. Which is also very insightful. But there is no co-commentator, so there is no storytelling/jokes or what you'd call it between commentators which I slightly miss. It's is very funny though when you guys in the USA go to commercials. Cause we hear your intro and outro music as its the world feed NASCAR is sending out. But we have no commercials! It just cuts to random onboard cameras and static trackside cameras till You guys are back from the break and the music fades back in. It's almost as if the whole of the NASCAR production team goes on break everytime.

Our commentator often uses this time to catch up on what happened and to answer twitter questions. Have had my questions answered a few times which was cool.

That many tire failures was more than just a fluke. Maybe a bad batch of tires or some teams cranking the camber and toe way past what Goodyear's recommended limit was. Denny's right front tire only had iirc 26 laps on it. The banking at Indy is only 9 degrees and that's only in the turns, so banking can't be an issue like it is at other tracks.

I watched a stream before from a European streamer because the race was on FS1 so I had to find an online stream. It was very interesting to not hear the American commentators. I'm not sure who was doing the commentary but they at least were very knowledgeable about nascar. 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Great news. The Dukes of Hazzard wouldn't be quite the same if the Duke boys weren't ahead of Rosco kicking dust on him. And NASCAR wouldn't be the same if Chase Elliott wasn't in front of Jimmie Johnson making him smell his exhaust. 

LOL Roger. As much as I like Chase...I really do...JJ will come back ready and prepared to win. :D

Hmmm maybe there should be a scene with the Duke boys chasing Rosco...;) 

Edited by Garrett Duke

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/07/10/jimmie-johnson-ready-to-go-at-kentucky-this-sunday-after-two-negative-covid-19-tests/

Upcoming Races fans can attend https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/07/09/nascar-fan-attendance-daytona-bristol-michigan-kansas-kentucky/

Next Wednesdays All Star race will have glowing cars :roll: https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/07/09/nascar-all-star-race-underglow-lights-bristol-motor-speedway/ Ought to be fun to clean up all the broken glass on the track after a wreck. Instead of goofy gimmicks how about fixing the handling of the cars for better racing.

Cole Custer stole the win at Kentucky yesterday with help from a big push from Matt Dibenedetto. The momentum pushed him past Martin Truex jr, Kevin Harvick and Ryan Blaney who went 3 wide for the lead in the final restart. Cole Custer went to the outside to make it 4 wide for the lead. Martin Truex jr finished 2nd, Matt Dibenedetto 3rd, Kevin Harvick 4th and Kurt Busch 5th.

Early in the race Aric Almirola had the dominant car but after a bad pit stop he got stuck in traffic and his car was not good in dirty air. He did manage to finish 8th though. 

Jimmie Johnson was having a good race and looked like he could've taken the lead on a late restart till he got turned by Brad Keselowski. He ended up finishing 18th and is in the final non winning chase for the championship spot. If he has a dnf or bad finish in any more of the regular season races without a win he could miss the chase the the 2nd year in a row. 

The All Star race is this Wednesday night @ 7pm eastern, I think it's on FS1.

The rest of the season will be on NBC or NBCSN.

Richard Children's Racing pulled off a 1-2 finish at Texas. Austin Dillon won his 3 career Cup race. Tyler Reddick finished 2nd, Joey Logano 3rd, Kyle Busch 4th and Kevin Harvick 5th.

With Austin's win and Cole Custer's win last weekend it puts Jimmie Johnson 15th in points and unless he wins or if has a bad race he could be out of the playoffs in his final season. William Byron is 16th and already is eliminated unless he wins or finishes better than Jimmie Johnson in the remaining regular season races.

Clint Bowyer would like to keep his ride for 2021 https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/07/20/clint-bowyer-stewart-haas-racing-2021-contract-status/

The Kansas cup race this week is on Thursday night at 7:30 on NBCSN. 

I just wanted to go briefly off topic to mention former F1 and Champ/CART driver Alex Zanardi. It looks like the only other time I posted about him was in 2012.

As a quick recap, Alex's open-wheeled racing career was cut short when he lost both legs in a Champ car race in 2001. Although he later spent four years driving touring cars in Germany, it was as a paralympic athlete where he really made a name for himself, winning four gold medals at hand-cycling.

Last month he suffered serious head injuries when he collided with a truck while racing his handbike in Italy. Today I read that, after three operations, he's been brought out of his medically induced coma so that he can be transferred to a recovery facility. There's obviously a long way to go, but at least this seems like positive news.

Denny Hamlin won Thursday nights Kansas Nascar cup race, beating Brad Keselowski by about half a second. Martin Truex jr finished 3rd, Kevin Harvick 4th and Eric Jones 5th. Jimmie Johnson had some more bad luck getting caught up in a wreck and finished 32nd and 6 points out of the playoffs. His teammate William Byron finished 10th which moved him up to 14th in points.

Maurice Petty passed away July 25th. Along with being one of the best engine builders in Nascar he also raced a little usually with the #41 on the doors.

Sorry about not getting this up sooner, have alot of stuff going on right now.