NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Hey Garrett, you know how i am ( how Hobie the town drunk is...not really me)  ....you've come back at just the right time. I've built a race track behind my Car lot and I'm going to be holding races this season all leading up to the 1st annual MoonShine 400!  It's a little more dangerous than regular car races. We only drive with one hand. The other hand stays on our Mason Jars! :) 

We've mentioned a couple of historically famous non-NASCAR drivers recently, so I thought I'd share a quote from another that I heard last night. Juan Manuel Fangio dominated the early years of F1, winning the World Drivers' Championship five times in the first decade. Here's his quote:

"Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio."

Thank you Hobie, Roger, Hoss for the warm welcome back. I've missed chatting with you all!

Thank you for the smiles too. I can't wait to watch those races Hobie.  They sound dangerous and entertaining! ;)

LOL Hoss at what Fangio said. I bet it's hard for them to drive and not speed on the normal roads.

I remember Jeff Gordon saying he got pulled over  for speeding while he was on the phone with Dale Earnhardt Jr. He said he could tell the cop wasn't impressed that he was Jeff Gordon so he asked him if he wanted to talk to Jr. And Jr got him out of a ticket.  It cracked me up...don't know why. LOL. 

Anyway, it's good to be back.

1 hour ago, Garrett Duke said:

LOL Hoss at what Fangio said. I bet it's hard for them to drive and not speed on the normal roads.

Max Verstappen got his FIA Super Licence, which allowed him to compete in Grands Prix, when he was 17. He didn't get his road licence until he was 18, and even then he was too young to rent a hire car!

The daylight scheduled Dixie Vodka 400 at Homestead turned into a night race after several weather delays. Denny Hamlin dominated the race winning both stages and of course the race. Tyler Reddick though is the one that stole the show in my opinion. He fought for the lead several times once he made his way from 24th and ended up finishing 4th. Chase Elliot finished 2nd, Ryan Blaney 3rd and Aric Almirola rounded out the top 5. Tyler's RCR teammate Austin Dillon finished 7th. Jimmie Johnson did not have a good race, started 9th and quickly dropped to the 20's and ended up finishing 16th.

Dale Earnhardt jr in what may be his final race finished 5th in Saturday's Xfinity race. He would have finished 2nd behind his teammate but a late caution and lousy restart killed his team's luck.

Forgot to mention Nascar gave 1000 tickets to military for the Homestead race and will have 5000 fans in attendance at Talladega next weekend.

Edited by Spike

On 6/13/2020 at 1:47 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

Hey Garrett, you know how i am ( how Hobie the town drunk is...not really me)  ....you've come back at just the right time. I've built a race track behind my Car lot and I'm going to be holding races this season all leading up to the 1st annual MoonShine 400!  It's a little more dangerous than regular car races. We only drive with one hand. The other hand stays on our Mason Jars! :) 

And after that is the infamous Buttermilk 4.00. I wonder if anybody will make it around the barn all 4 laps this year. 

Dale Earnhardt Jr leads the HoF class of 2021 https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/06/16/dale-earnhardt-jr-mike-stefanik-red-farmer-named-to-nascar-hall-of-fame-class-of-2021/ also being inducted is modified racer Michael Stefanik and Red Farmer.

Nascar All-star Race has been moved to Bristol :awesome::banana: https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/06/15/nascar-all-star-race-moves-to-bristol-motor-speedway-for-2020/

Well looks like Nascar tv ratings are tanking lately. Martinsville only had 1.7 million viewers tune in, the Charlotte race a week earlier just 1.5 mill, least watched since at least 2000 season. Homestead just had 2.7 million viewers overall. We'll have to see if the trend continues at Talladega. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Well looks like Nascar tv ratings are tanking lately. Martinsville only had 1.7 million viewers tune in, the Charlotte race a week earlier just 1.5 mill, least watched since at least 2000 season. Homestead just had 2.7 million viewers overall. We'll have to see if the trend continues at Talladega. 

It will also be interesting to see how much the flag controversy hurts them the next few weeks. Southern folks are loyal to racing but they are even more loyal to their heritage and get upset when uninformed people think they love their flag because of slavery. 

Well NASCAR's All Star Race moved to Bristol in July.  Which I'm happy about. But they are moving the car numbers from the doors to the back of the car to add more room for sponsors. Supposedly that's what the drivers want and they are doing it to experiment with it. I vote to stick with doors...but they don't ask me. So I guess it is what it is...

3 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

But they are moving the car numbers from the doors to the back of the car to add more room for sponsors. Supposedly that's what the drivers want and they are doing it to experiment with it. I vote to stick with doors...but they don't ask me. So I guess it is what it is...

F1 used to issue numbers to the teams rather than the drivers - two per team, with each team having two identical cars. Over the years, the numbers got smaller as the advertising space became more valuable. At one point it was pretty much only possible to tell the difference between team mates by their helmets. Then, it was decided to let drivers choose a permanent number to build a brand around (e.g. Lewis Hamilton has Team 44), and to increase the visibility of the numbers. The latest cars have a number on each side near the rear wing and another on the nose.

Obviously, F1 cars don't have doors, so the numbers will never be as big as NASCAR. It'll still be strange seeing NASCAR with no large door numbers. Imagine the General with no numbers on the doors - it's just wrong!

36037580162_e594962798_o.jpg

I guess it'll be ok as long as they don't make the numbers as small as they are in IMSA. Car owners have been lobbying for this change for years to make more room for more sponsors. I find it funny how Dale jr flip flopped on this issue. I remember in one of his podcasts last year he was adamant that the numbers not be moved from the doors but then tweets the other day "I can get behind this as long as the number size isn’t any smaller than what you see here."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eal2YKVUcAEkbVh?format=jpg&name=small

It looks weird but at least it isn't on the rear quarter panel like they were thinking of doing.

41 minutes ago, HossC said:

F1 used to issue numbers to the teams rather than the drivers - two per team, with each team having two identical cars. Over the years, the numbers got smaller as the advertising space became more valuable. At one point it was pretty much only possible to tell the difference between team mates by their helmets. Then, it was decided to let drivers choose a permanent number to build a brand around (e.g. Lewis Hamilton has Team 44), and to increase the visibility of the numbers. The latest cars have a number on each side near the rear wing and another on the nose.

Obviously, F1 cars don't have doors, so the numbers will never be as big as NASCAR. It'll still be strange seeing NASCAR with no large door numbers. Imagine the General with no numbers on the doors - it's just wrong!

36037580162_e594962798_o.jpg

LOL The only thing worse than a General without an 01 on the door would be opening the door. 

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Right after I typed that response I looked closer. Isn't the passenger side door open? What is that chrome strip on top of it?

I hadn't even noticed that the passenger door was open, Roger! I eventually worked out that the chrome strip is an end-on view of the frame of the vent window.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, RogerDuke said:

Right after I typed that response I looked closer. Isn't the passenger side door open? What is that chrome strip on top of it?

LOL Roger.  I saw it and assumed you were being sarcastic.  ;)

And when I read about the numbers the first thing I thought about was the General! I get the sponsors and the money...but still think its wrong. LOL 

Talladega tomorrow.  Hopefully it will have a better ending to it than Daytona.