NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

TRPCOltrane...sorry you haven't been feeling the best. Hope you are feeling better. Hopefully Stewart's win helped you feel better as well.

Didn't watch the end of the Daytona race...saw the jet dryer wreck and watched for the red flag but went to bed when the drivers were sent to their car. I get up at four AM so had to catch at least a little sleep..especially since BOTH Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson were out by then. Though was hoping Jr would have won it...came all so close.

Love Bristol racing. One of my favorite tracks and love it when they got there. Especially for the night race in August. Jeff Gordon is great on this track and hope he will turn his BAD LUCK around this weekend. THat is if he isn't collected up in one of them accidents that is bound to happen at Bristol. Fingers crossed for a top five...or a win from team 24 this weekend.

Glad to see you back online TRPColtrane and hope this is a sign that you are feeling better. :D

oh I see well I seen end racing and Matt Kenseth won his daytona 500 with his new scheme for 2012 as well. yeah hope something better for Jeff Gordon's is. Well did you see new picture about new 2013 dodger's car something for racing what you think of 2013's is? and also fuel and electric engine box is? like or not like same as what Tony did happening last Phoenix's racing is. oh boy. hard time on fuel mileage is.

So thanks for that make me feel better. lol, Garrett. :innocent: Hope good racing this sunday.

Edit: did you see Darrell's love dancing video on old daytona when he talk on with Michael and others guys? what you think of him way? :)

Well I got the best news today when I turned on the computer, but then again, my opinion on this is biased...after all Jimmie Johnson is my second favorite driver (after Jeff Gordon, of course ;) ). And it does affect Jeff Gordon as well since Gordon owns most of Jimmie Johnson's car...

Jimmie Johnson went onto the final stage there is for appealing NASCAR's penalities against him that was given to him after the Daytona 500 race for failing car inspection BEFORE the Budweiser Shootout race. He was fined 25 owner points, Gordon was fined 25 car owner points, his crew cheif was fined $100,000 dollars...and both crew cheif and car cheif was to be put on probation for six races. Last week they went forward to the first option to appeal and lost against NASCAR.

They took the appeal to National Stock Car Racing chief appellate officer John Middlebrook, who use to work for General Motors and has faced three other appeals prior to Johnson's. In all three he has reduced the penalties. Middlebrook has reduced Johnson's penalties in a BIG way...he took away the points fined against Johnson and Gordon (HUGE sigh of relief...) as well as the suspensions for crew cheif Chad Knaus and car cheif Ron Melec. Knaus and Melec will be on probation until May 9th...and Knaus' $100,000 fine still stands as is.

Which means two things. One...Jimmie Johnson no longer is 17th in points where the 25 point fine had put him...he is now 11th in points! Two...he will have his crew cheif supporting him this weekend. :-P

Know there probably is a lot of people who don't agree with this since there seems to be a lot of people against JJ, fan wise that is. But I for one am excited and relieved about this. I agree punishments should be handed out if something is wrong or done wrong, but that was harsh for someone who didn't even take that car on the TRACK!

Now if only Gordon could find a way to climb up in points...really hate seeing him stuck in 23rd in points due to BAD LUCK!:mad:

Google have announced plans to enter NASCAR with a driverless team that uses autonomous cars. You can read the details here.

GoogleNASCAR.jpg

(Just remember today's date before y'all get too excited ;))

LOL Hoss...you had me going there. Was about to say I don't like the idea at all...

Funny thing is, is that I am watching the prerace s how on Fox and just as I opened the link they started talking about the google car. And then said it was an April Fools trick. Michael Waltrip (Darrell's youngest brother...also an announcer this year) said that sometimes he thought his car would have been better if it had been driverless. HA HA.

It would be something interesting if they could make that happen, but still don't think I would like it at all. The driver's characteristics and who they are make it all that more exciting. Without the drivers, well, I think it would reduce the excitement in half...

My opinion of course. Thanks for the laugh Hoss!

• 4 weeks later...

Jimmie Johnson was just announced Forbes most Influencial (Sp? LOL) player or athlete. . .Dale Jr was on the list but slipped from third last year to seventh this year. While Jeff Gordon slipped of the list completely (was excited to see JJ at the top until I read about poor Gordon...as if his rotten luck on the track wasn't bad enough? LOL).

Don't know how newsworthy that is, but thought I'd make mention of it. My congrats go to Jimmie Johnson...he is well deserving of it!

• 1 month later...

OK y'all...Kurt Busch has been at it. Again.

Last year he was fired from his ride at Penske (second good cup car ride he lost due to his behavior) after cussing out one of the pit road reporters. (Plus he was cussing out his boss on the radio sometime duirng the season last season...)

He found a ride with a lower funded ride this year that gets their engines from Rick Hendrick.

Well on May 12 he had a run in with Ryan Newman at Darlington. Where he had spun Newman out on the track. Then when Newman was in his pit road, Kurt drove wrecklessly fast on pit road to hit Newman's car that was in his pit road. Newman's crew didn't find his speed appropriate on pit road and Kurt's crew tried to defend him. Well NASCAR fined one of Newman's crew for not following orders or something like that and put him and Newman's crew cheif on probation through the last race of June.

As for Kurt they fined him and put him on probation until July 25th of this year.

One may think one on probation may straighten up his act...well obviously Kurt is the exception.

He had a brush up with Justin Allgaier in the Nationwide Series race on the first lap or so Saturday. They both talked about it right after the race and when the reporter asked Kurt about what was said he blamed Justin for racing hard early in the race and made a comment about how he can't even pick his nose wrong now that he is on probation.

Then later on SPEED or a SPEED reporter was asking him a question and Kurt said "the only thing preventing him from beating you (reporter) up for asking stupid questions is that I am on probation...and even saying that is probably wrong." (I reworded it...full story here: Kurt Busch).

Well NASCAR has found that Kurt has violeted a rule in the book that states against verbal abuse of a reporter.

Kurt Busch is now on probation through December 31 of this year and is now SUSPENDED from all track activities in POCONO next WEEKEND. The last driver NASCAR had suspended was his brother, Kyle, last year after he had retaliated against a Ron Hornaday Jr in the truck race...Ron was contending for the championship and Kyle took him out of it. Kyle was suspended for the following Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup race.

BTW Kurt drives for his younger brother Kyle in the Nationwide Series race...

:-o I have to be honest here...am not a fan of Kurt Busch due to his attitude. (Sorry Roger...knew you liked him last year. Aren't you glad you changed drivers? HA HA) Am really glad that NASCAR has FINALLY stepped up to the plate on this with Kurt Busch. After losing two GOOD rides due to his attitude and behavior, I'd have thought he would be working hard on changing in order to earn a better ride for next year. Apparently, I was wrong. So maybe NASCAR suspending him, may give him the extra push of motivation to change his behavior. (All of that last paragraph is of my opinion...wrong or right, it's my opinion. ) :-o

Well got some sad news today...car owner / driver Cotton Owens died at 88 years old. He has been suffering with cancer and his condition got worse when his wife died in April. Cotton was elected to the NASCAR Hall Of Fame on May 23 and will be inducted into the HOF in February. Cotton has won nine times including a Daytona 500 and almost won the '59 championship but got beat by Lee Petty (Richard Petty's father). Junior Johnson, Ralph Earnhardt, Dave Pearson are a few drivers who had driven for him giving him 38 races, 33 pole positions in 405 starts as a car owner.

Very sad day in NASCAR...Cotton will be missed but his memory will live on through the Hall of Fame.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I read some NASCAR news this afternoon that shocked me...

Matt Kenseth, driver of the 17 car and drives for Rousch Fenway Racing...and has for fourteen years (all of his cup career) will be leaving Ford, car 17, and Rousch for the first time in his career at the end of the season. Rousch will then put in last year's Nationwide Series champion, Ricky Stenhouse Jr in the 17 car while Matt Kenseth will be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. Matt will either take Joey Lagono's ride in the 20 car since his contract will end at the end of the year or Gibbs may add a fourth car to his organization.

Surprising to me since Matt Kenseth at the moment is ranked at number one in Cup points...and Roush driver Greg Biffle is second.

Don't know where that leaves Kurt Busch who had been rumored in wanting to take Lagono's ride before Lagono won that race a couple of weeks ago. Though think he needs to adjust his attitude if he wants another team to hire him...he may have worn out his welcome to any big rides. Will be interesting to see where he lands next year...his car looks pretty bare out there - bare of sponsors. Ah but once again that is my unwanted opinion...

Wish Matt the best of luck with his new team. Never have been too big of a fan of his ever since him and Gordon got into it at Bristol, but put that aside, Matt is a pretty good driver. A driver who seems to get the job done without making much noise...very consistant driver.

Well I stand corrected...Matt Kenseth knows where he is going next year, but has not and will not yet make it public. The whole Gibbs thing was only a speculation...nice they would say all that in the article I read yesterday and I wouldn't have to correct myself. ;) Still surprised at all of this...and glad that Gordon has a life long contract with Rick Hendrick. :D He will race his entire Cup career at Hendrick...awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

Well sitting here I am saddened and am in shock at the news I just heard. News that I have been waiting for a week or two now and it wasn't the news I wanted to hear. Don't mean to be over dramatic, but it is how I feel. Am dissappointed at the moment. But before I say my news, let me rewind and go over what has happened a couple of weeks ago. I know I posted it somewhere, just not in this thread...

After the Kentucky race, AJ Allmindinger had failed a random drug test. Which has led to him being suspended the last couple of races. Sam Hornish Jr has been filling in and driving AJ's 22 car...Well NASCAR gave him the chance to give a "B" test, which he did today.

And failed today. He failed his drug test for a stimulant...whatever that means.

Which means AJ is now suspended indefinately. He will have to wait for NASCAR to give him a letter addressing what he needs to do or something of the sort and then AJ will have to agree with the letter and then will be allowed to go to the Road to Recovery program.

Sam Hornish Jr will be driving AJ's car for the Indianappolis race this Sunday...though don't know if he will be in his car until or if AJ comes back or not.

Hendrick will always be my favorite team of drivers, but always wished AJ the best and did like him. Am surprised that he would fail any sort of drug test...am hoping he will take action to get back on track with his life - if the tests are accurate - and back on track.

I know very little about AJ Allmendinger, so I come to this case with no preconceptions. Mention of the Road to Recovery program suggests that he has some kind of drug problem, yet NASCAR won't even reveal what stimulant was found in his samples, so we don't know what he's being accused of.

Sports figures have to be really careful these days because there's a huge list over-the-counter medicines that contain substances that are prohibited in various sports. I've heard of athletes failing drugs tests due to accidently using the wrong flu remedy. I also remember a case of a sports star testing positive for cannabis, which is hardly a performance enhancing drug.

If this was an accident or an oversight then AJ will have to challenge his suspension in court. If it turns out that he took the drugs deliberately, there are plenty of other drivers to take his place.

Well I don't know much about AJ other than what they show and say on race day and the such. He is so clean cut and seems like a great guy. Really hope this is some sort of a miscommunication. But AJ said when he first failed his test that he was going to give NASCAR all his medications and if I remember right, when Jeremy Mayfield lost his NASCAR ticket due to drugs, Jeff Gordon said that NASCAR required them all to give NASCAR the list of their medications that they are taking.

With how Jeremy Mayfield had acted when he was caught and afterwards, I could believe he was on something. But am still having a very hard time believing that with AJ...*Sigh*

Sam Hornish Jr will once again be in AJ's 22 car for the Indy race this weekend. I haven't heard officially yet if he will be there for the rest of teh time or not.

Am hoping to see AJ back in NASCAR soon. :( Just find this extremely sad. It is always sad to see someone turn to drugs, but for someone like AJ who worked his ENTIRE life to get where he is and to waste it to drugs is just shameful. Waste his great talent for that...

As I said, still don't want to believe it or can't believe it, but what else is to believe? Wish NASCAR would come forth with what they are punishing him with ...

Will keep y'all updated with info if more comes forth...

It's not only NASCAR that's catching people; there were nine track and field athletes who failed drugs tests before the Olympics this week. Eight of them got two year suspensions, and the other got a four year suspension because she'd been caught before. Until earlier this year the British Olympic Association used to hand out lifetime bans from the Olympics to any British athlete failing a test. Greece has also sent home one of their athletes for making a racist tweet.

It's not only NASCAR that's catching people; there were nine track and field athletes who failed drugs tests before the Olympics this week. Eight of them got two year suspensions, and the other got a four year suspension because she'd been caught before. Until earlier this year the British Olympic Association used to hand out lifetime bans from the Olympics to any British athlete failing a test. Greece has also sent home one of their athletes for making a racist tweet.

Well I know little about the Olympics, but did read about the Greece woman who made the racist tweet. Can't believe people would lose their dreams over such thing...can't even believe someone in the spotlight like that would go public with that tweet.

As for AJ, just read a couple other articles on YAHOO's NASCAR Page. NASCAR is not going to reveal the drug and says it is not protocol to do so...gues their obligation to go forth just goes to the team. AJ's represenative has says he was tested postive for amphetamine...which they didn't know what it was...neither do I. But people are saying it is in prescription medications as well. AJ is going forth with the program which is likely to last five months...meaning he will most likely be out for the rest of the season. :(

Just hope AJ the best for his future and hope to see him back in a car next season...

Well things for AJ Allmendinger just keeps getting worse and worse. I guess when it rains, it pours on poor AJ.

Not that I feel completely bad for him. There is never a good excuse to abuse one's body with drugs and other such things and there should be no tolerance for it in life nor in sports. And if it is an illegal drug that AJ had failed his drug test, then shame on AJ and NASCAR has done the right thing.

But I do feel bad for him. Seems like AJ was going through a hard time before he failed his drug tests. Then to add onto his personal problems, he has been suspended from NASCAR indefinately and is now enlisted into their recover program.

If all that is not enough of an endurance test...

Roger Penske, car owner of his number 22 Dodge, has announced that he has let AJ Allmendinger go. Meaning if AJ is to come back to NASCAR Sprint Cup next year, after his recovery deal is over, he will have to find a new ride. :( I do understand where Roger is coming from. It would have a lot of risk to stick with AJ after failing TWO drug tests...even with the recovery program. But personally feel AJ needs all the support he can get and this will only add onto his problems.

Of course most of the problems listed above were self inflicted...if NASCAR is correct. So I guess he has himself to blame for the bad choices he has made. Still feel bad and disappointed with it all. But all that is my personal opinion. Wish AJ the best in his recovery and hope to see him back on track in 2013...

Well I got some sad news...

If you read my review of the Pocono race, you will know it was raining at Pocono today. It was raining hard, lightning and thundering. The sky was a scary dark color.

Well I just read an article where three people were struck by lightning out in the parking lot outside of turn three of Pocono, one was killed and nine are injured - including one in critical care. Just so sad...my thoughts and prayers are with them all and their families. They go to the race for a fun time...

NASCAR did put on Twitter a couple of times with warning of the severe weather, as well as warned them on TV of how bad they were predicting the weather to be.

Someone said that they thought it could be because NASCAR had left the cars parked on the track for a half hour after they had parked the cars and thought the people were waiting around in case it would start up.

Like I said, NASCAR had sent warnings a couple of times on Twitter plus on TV...but even if they didn't have access to that, I think the dark skies was warning enough of the bad weather. Don't matter...it is sad all the way around. My thoughts and prayers are with them all and their families...

• 5 weeks later...

Well after fifteen years of driving for Jack Rousch, Matt Kenseth, is leaving after this season. Which he had made known a while back, but refused to tell where he was going...even though there was rumors saying of where he was going.

Well the rumors turned out to be true, Matt Kenseth will be driving for Joe Gibbs racicng in the number 20 car...where Tony Stewart first raced at in the Sprint Cup Series...and the car Joey Logano is currently driving.

Joey Logano on the other hand will be going over to race for Roger Penske in the number 22 car that AJ Allmendinger drove and Sam Hornish Jr has drove in his absense.

(Well I guess I am happy to see Joey getting a second chance even though he hasn't really done much of anything the last couple of seasons. Even though I already knew AJ was kicked out of his ride, still feel bad for him. And was really hoping that Penske would have hired Sam full time or either that brough Elliot Sadler up from the Nationwide Series. Elliot use to drive Sprint Cup, but he ran out of contract and didn't have a car so he went back to racing Nationwide full time to better his driving skills. Well he has won four races so far this season and is sitting proudly in the number one spot in points by twelve points over Ricky Stenhouse Jr...who also has four wins this year. Nothing against Joey...he is a good driver and am happy for him that he is getting a new ride for 2013, just was hopin' Elliot would move back up in cup. But then again, this past paragraph is of my OWN OPINION and that isn't worth much of anything...)

On the side note, Aric Almirola became a father for the first time as his wife gave birth to a son, Alex. Mom and baby are doing good. :)

This is off-topic, but there is a motorsport link, and I thought the story was worth sharing.

Anyone who follows Champ Cars/CART racing may remember an Italian driver called Alex Zanardi. He competed in Formula 1 between 1991 and 1994 before switching to the North American series. He won the Champ Car championship twice for Chip Ganassi Racing in 1997 and 1998. After a brief return to F1 he was taking part in a 2001 Champ Car World Series race in Germany when he was involved in a horrific accident that resulted in the loss of both of his legs.

Alex wasn't content with his artificial legs, so he designed and built his own. He also returned to motor racing in a car adapted with hand controls. The reason I'm bringing this up now is that earlier today he claimed a gold medal at the Paralympics in the 16-kilometre H4 handcycling time trial (he won by 27 seconds!). Ironically, the event took place at Brands Hatch, a motor racing circuit in the south east of England where he competed in one of his early Formula 3000 races back in 1991. He's in action again on Friday. You can read more here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know if anyone else is following the whole ordeal with AJ Allmendinger on here or if it is just me and I am boring you all with it. But it is NASCAR newsworthy...:D

AJ ALLMENDINGER HAS COMPLETED HIS ROAD TO RECOVERY PROGRAM AND HAS BEEN REINSTATED INTO NASCAR! :spin:

As for now, all that means, is that he is able to race at any level in NASCAR...if he has a ride. As of now, he don't have one. Roger Penske has given his old car to Joey Logano next season...though had said he would be willing to give him a ride if able. Don't know what Penske has in mind, but if something does come up, will make sure to let y'all know. 8-)

he is able to race at any level in NASCAR...if he has a ride. As of now, he don't have one. Roger Penske has given his old car to Joey Logano next season...though had said he would be willing to give him a ride if able.

If Roger Penske doesn't come through with that car tell AJ that Roger Duke has an old Volare station wagon sitting in his back yard he can have pretty cheap. It's a little rusty and needs an alternator and fuel pump. The gas tank's leaking and all four tires are flat. There's a big hornets nest under the hood and it doesn't have a transmission. It's sunk down in the mud and there's five chickens living in the back seat.

But the 8-track player worked last I knew and I'm only asking $800 for it.

If Roger Penske doesn't come through with that car tell AJ that Roger Duke has an old Volare station wagon sitting in his back yard he can have pretty cheap. It's a little rusty and needs an alternator and fuel pump. The gas tank's leaking and all four tires are flat. There's a big hornets nest under the hood and it doesn't have a transmission. It's sunk down in the mud and there's five chickens living in the back seat.

But the 8-track player worked last I knew and I'm only asking $800 for it.

I've been hearing that Penske is thinking more open wheel for AJ...which will make me sad since I really don't get to watch those kind of races and already miss seeing AJ on the track. But perhaps that is just me.

Well Roger perhaps I am reading in between the lines here, but I am getting the hint that you are not an AJ fan and would rather see him suspended than reinstated and able to race. ;) I am pretty sure that no NASCAR official would EVER pass that car for pre race inspection not alone on the track and post race inspection. Plus eight hundred dollars may not sound too much for a car, but he'll have to have more money to add the transmission because I am pretty sure no car will move without a transmission or an alternator or a fuel pump. Hmmm add all that up he might as well as buy a new car, don't you think? Of course I don't know how much those are but when I had to get my transmission switched, I remember it being a pretty ugly penny. LOL. And I never seen any livestock in a race car before, but would feel bad for them chickens being drove two hundred miles per hour in circles like that...AJ would get cited for throwing eggs out his window or something... :escape:

Am sure AJ would appreciate the offer Roger...not everyone is willing to give up a prize car like that to just anyone. But get do have a feeling he'd have to decline your offer...all thanks to them pesky NASCAR officials. :mad: