Cars we'd like to see on the big screen

AAAAAAHHH!!! Everywhere I look, Maxim's got another picture of that car.

I dare ya to drive up to DukesFest in one of those. See what the General Lee car clubs think of it. :wink:

Brian

LOL. I wouldn't apply the General Lee's uniform to anything but a 2nd generation Charger in real life. However, as far as new cars go, that 2006 Charger doesn't look half bad to me now that I have done some shadetree Photoshop bodywork to it. Why can't they make big, muscular RWD cars these days? Why does everything have to look like their nose and tails have been lopped off; be FWD and pretty much look like a Honda or BMW knockoff? The compact family car is a nice option to have but it ceases to be an option when that is just about all anyone makes.

It seems all the production lines are the same these days; I guess it's too expensive for any factory to crank out something truly different. And the less car body, the less materials, I suppose. Ostensibly that would mean a cheaper car, but that doesn't appear to apply.

Talk about cars with no nose or tail....I've been disappointed with the modern Chevy Impala lines. The last version looked like a mid-sized Honda, like you said. I don't expect modern cars to look exactly like their ancestoral models, but jeeze. ( And being the owner of a '67, when I see an Impala without a nose or tail, it looks just plain wrong.)

I have to admit that Ford actually did a decent job with the recent Mustang line, making it look authentic to the namesake. But this modern Charger is just a (censored) up Dodge Intrepid.

Brian

I have to admit that Ford actually did a decent job with the recent Mustang line, making it look authentic to the namesake. But this modern Charger is just a (censored) up Dodge Intrepid.

I agree. The new mustangs look great as far as modern cars go. It was a surprise to me when I first saw them because I have become very cynical toward newer cars and their styling and drivetrains. It seems like they actually make an effort to irritate people with all these ho-hum cars they have cranked out since the 80's. Ford in a somewhat unique gesture has gone and made something that actually coincides with what people want. They did a good job with their Super Duty line of trucks too and I was no less surprised at that; what with their "basketball-with-a-bed" styling of their '97 and later regular F-series trucks.

I appreciate Mopar's truck line but other than their out-of-reach Vipers, they haven't done anything impressive with their cars since '71. I had high hopes when I saw that concept Charger 6 years ago and then the new Hemi came out. Things were looking good. Then this Honda wanna-be 4 door "Charger" is what they serve up? Talk about an insult. How anyone in their right mind, much less a design team, could associate that mundane family sedan styling with the venerable "Charger" name is beyond me. That car is as far off the mark in regard to its namesake as a "Camaro" pickup truck would be.

A point I'd like to add to that, is the fact the most boring part of many new cars is the dashboard....and that's what you spend the most time lookin' at! Doesn't matter how cool the car looks on the outside, when you're spending upwards of thirty grand to stare at a dashboard that hasn't signifigantly changed in appearance since 1984.

This again is where Ford got it right, pains me to admit it. The new Mustangs have the retro large-dial dashes. Authentic styling, with a few modern extras.

Whereas I'll bet ya dollars to dixie cups that the new "Charger" has a dashboard that looks amazingly like the Dodge Intrepid dash. So, for anyone who spent five years driving an Intrepid, and is about to trade it in for a Charger...things will look pretty much the same from where yer sittin' !

Brian