Sports

RogerDuke

Baseball is in pre-season. March Madness is getting ready to start.

The NBA and NHL playoffs will be here before you know it.

And of course, NASCAR is starting another season with everybody chasing J.J.

Post your feelings here for sports and please be respectful of other people's teams. (Of course I had to add that because I like the worst team in baseball, the Pittsburgh Pirates)...okay, you folks can make fun of the Pirates a little bit if you want to.

By the way, does anybody know which forum that NASCAR thread is located?

Don't feel bad Roger, cause I like the second worst team in the NHL, the Edmonton Oilers. LOL. But they were doing good off the start of the season, then everything fell apart in about December... :cry: But there will always be next season!

So excited for baseball season! GO JAYS!! WOOT-WOOT! And the Outlaws! (My hometown Wheat Belt League team!) The Outlaws won the Wheat Belt League last year... But now Tom the pitcher went to university in Ontario and won't be around and Nolan the 2nd baseman got a job down in southern Alberta... So who knows what this summer's gonna bring! lol

And I really need to get into Nascar! I like driving fast, I like watching things go fast, I don't really understand why I ain't into it! lol

I went to a Blue Jays game once. Roger Clemens had 16 strike outs.

I had fun yelling "Roger, Roger, Roger!" with every strike out. (not that I like that name or anything)

Also, I was only a few seats away from catching a Jose Canseco foul ball.

The day before, we went up in the CN tower and saw what the stadium looked like with a game going on and the roof open. It's a view I'll never forget.

Well Roger you may have gone and done it...once I get started talking about baseball and NASCAR, I can't stop! HA HA HA.

I am a huge NASCAR fan (if y'all haven't guess yet) and my all time favorite driver is and always will be Jeff Gordon with my second favorite driver being Jimmie Johnson (Gordon owns part of his car, so to me it's common sense to have him be my second favorite ;) ). As for the NASCAR thread...hmmm. I can't think of it off the top of my head right now Roger, but if I think of it, I'll let you know. I use to post there too so maybe if I go back to my posting history I can find it. Am excited that the season has finally began and am looking forward to Bristol on Sunday (am always looking forward to the next race). Anyway, it is all thanks to Bo, Luke, and The General Lee taht I am a NASCAR fan...before '97 when I got back into the Dukes, I thought racing was a senseless sport - just a bunch of men chasing eachother in circles, might as well as watch the dog chase his tail. (HA HA) Now look at me...I'm a huge fan that very seldom misses a race (All thanks to Bo and Luke.)

As for baseball...I have been a Chicago Cubs fan since I was four so now I am a die hard Chicago Cubs fan. :D GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon Roger, have a little faith and pride in your Pirates! At least they aren't tagged with "The Loveable Losers" as the Cubs are. ;) Ryne Sandberg will always be my favorite baseball player and am very excited to see him be promoted up to be the new manager for the Des Moines AAA Cubbies with his next promotion he'll be back in a Chicago Cubs uniform. :D Though Derrek Lee is my favorite current active Cub player who is their first baseman. If that makes any sense.

I am slowly getting into football and the Chicago Bears, but still have a lot to learn about them or a long ways to go before I get as excited about football as I am about baseball and NASCAR. As I said earlier, am glad that it is finally NASCAR season and am highly looking forward to baseball season to start up in a couple of weeks.

I love this thread, Roger. Way to go starting it...am looking forward to hear what everyone else has to say.

How long has it been since the Cubs won the World Series? It sure would be nice to see them do what the Red Sox did and win one after many decades of going without a championship.

Their dry spell is kinda surprising considering what a big city Chicago is. You wouldn't think it's because Chicago doesn't have enough money. Unfortunately (for the Pirates) the richer teams usually win in baseball since they don't have a salary cap. Hopefully that means the Cubs will be in the running.

By the way, Roberto Clemente is my all-time favorite player. You sure don't see many players today risking their lives to help others. He was a hero on and off the field.

The last time the Cubs won the World Series...this is going to be painful to admit...is 1908. I use to remember the last time they were in it...want to say sometime in the fifties, but could be wrong about that. But the last time they won it was in 1908. They do have a salary cap if I remember right, but can't remember what it is. They have some good players playing for them, so I don't know what's the deal is. Last year they had someone on the DL all the time it seems - once one player got healthy another got hurt and so forth. Hopefully this will be their year (as I say every yeary). I just hope that I will at least be able to experience them winning the World Series before I die...It'd be great if they'd do what the Red Sox did. I agree...the teams willing to pay top dollar for each player is the teams that are the ones always in the World Series. Be nice to see a new team in there every other year or so...like the Cubs...or the Pirates.

Roberto Clemente? Know he's a baseball player but that is about it. HOw he rescue people off the field?

I knew it was a long time. When I was a kid, I had an Ernie Banks baseball card (Cubs) and I remember the back said something about Ernie wondering how long it would be before they would win a World Series since it had been a long time. If it had been a long time in the late sixties, it's a really really long time 40 years later.....over 100 years!! LOL

That's all the more reason to root for them.

Roberto Clemente (Pirates) was the MVP of the 1971 World Series. It was a miracle win for the Pirates because the Orioles had 4 20 game winners (not a misprint) and the Pirates had none. To make matters worse, Baltimore won the first two games but Pittsburgh won it in 7 games.

Clemente had a been on the Pirates for 20+ years and had a lifetime batting average of 317 with four gold gloves and a thowing arm that no runner ever dared challenge.

In the off season he was helping deliver supplies to earthquake victims in Central America when his plane went down in the Gulf of Mexico, killing all aboard.

Wow Roger...he sounds like an awesome baseball player and person! What a great role model he was to all those that looked up to him and watched him. Thank-you for the info. As I said, I knew he was a good baseball player but that was about it.

LOL... yeah if ol' Banks himself thought it was a long time since the Cubs won the World Series, it'd be ages now since they last won the World Series. Over a hundred years. 2008 was said to be the Cubs year...a hundred years later and all. They had a great season that year...won 97 games and was on top of their division. Went to the play offs only to lose the first three or four games to get out of the play offs all together. Great season and poor off season. Then they were plagued by injuries last year and didn't do much of anything. As I always say, there is always next year...this is the year! LOL I agree...all the more reason to go for the Cubs. But I am biased there since I'd root for them to win the World Series every year...;)

Sorry but I have to brag a little more about Roberto.

A lot of people think that Clemente's jersey number (21) should be retired for all of baseball.

Jackie Robinson's number 42 is retired for every team (meaning nobody in all of baseball on any team can ever wear 42 again in honor of Robinson) because of his great accomplishment of breaking the color barrier. Despite all the death threats he recieved, Robinson stuck it out and did what's right so he certainly deserves hero status.

Since Clemente gave his life in an effort to help others, I think that is also reason enough to retire his number. The Pirates have retired it of course but it should be retired league-wide. Not to diminish any of Jackie Robinson's great accomplishments but Clemente's sacrifice was the ultimate one any human being can make.

After his death in the plane crash, he was inducted into the hall of fame right away and, to this day, is the only player to ever be inducted without the 5 year waiting period.

Eh I'll give you permission to brag, Roger. Especially about your hero. It is neat to think of what he had accomplished and was able to do. Never realized or noticed that they retired Jackie Robinson's number from all of baseball, that was neat. So maybe one day they will do that for number 21 for your Clemente. Hopefully...baseball and all of entertainment today need more people like that, like the example Clemente seemed to be when he was a live and played baseball.

As I said earlier, Ryne Sandberg is my all time favorite baseball player and was my hero growing up...he played second base for the Cubs for all of his professional career. Was a good hitter and field player and a team player. The Cubs retired his number 23 when he retired...not trying to compare him to Clemente because as far as I know of he didn't go out and save people when he wasn't playing baseball. But was a great player and all that i have heard of him and seen of him, seems to be a good person too. He too is in the hall of fame, though I think he waited the five years at least to get inducted into it. I think a little more so.

Thank-you Roger for all this info - I find it all very interesting! My baseball knowledge pretty much stays with the Cubs with a few from other teams and top players, but not a lot. I mainly stay with my Cubs, so it is always interesting to learn about about other teams and other players...especially the ones from the past. I only know a little about some of them. So it is all very interesting to me. I knew Clemente's name and that he was a good player before this thread, but that was it.

Here's a question for you Garrett.....and anyone else who wants to voice an opinion.

I wonder what sports Bo and Luke liked. They never really did mention sports too much on the show, at least not the big 4 of baseball, football, basketball and hockey.

Of course if you call NASCAR, archery, hunting and fishing "sports", then they were big sports fans.

And Luke was a boxer. Bo played football in high school. The both coached the Boar's Nest Bears.

I bet they liked the Braves and Falcons. I think I remember Cooter wearing an Atlanta Falcons hat once.

Come to think of it, I can't remember baseball or baseball related things ever being mentioned in all seven years of the show. Hockey either, but that's no surprise since Georgia wasn't a big hockey state back then.

Didn't Cooter wear an Atlanta Braves hat in the show or an episode or am I thinking of another time?

Don't recall any baseball in the Dukes, but I bet Bo could hit the ball hard if need be. Bet Luke would make a good catcher or pitcher...strategy wise I'm thinking.

Bo use to play football in highschool and there was plenty NASCAR talk ;) but that is about all that I can remember in the show. Oh yeah the basketball team they managed or something like that.

Talking of baseball, the Cubs season starts in fourteen days and nineteen hours according to their homepage. I guess I'd assume the rest of baseball would start then too. (I'm excited for baseball to start, can't you tell? LOL) Am hoping for a great season this year...you know, this could be their year. ;)

Am really excited that NASCAR had started up a month and a half ago...talk about a long three months (the end of November to the second weekend in February) from the end of NASCAR to the beginning of the NASCAR season - three months of no baseball or NASCAR. At least NASCAR is a longer season so I don't have to wait so long for one of my sports to start up again. HA HA. I'll have it made come two weeks when I have Jeff Gordon and the Cubs to follow.

I saw a little bit of the start of the race today.

I think it's awesome that they're brave enough to defy political correctness and say a prayer before the race.

An organization like NASCAR that stands up to the anti-God forces that want to drag this country down is okay in my book.

I know Uncle Jesse and his kin would agree.

I like that too. I think that it's good that they are sticking with something that they have done for years no matter what the government says. Then again, I'm not exactly a lover of the government ;)

Ok, so I'm getting sidetracked here because I just found out that the first rodeo of the season up here is April 23-25!! So excited!! I'm going to go and try my hand at Team Roping competitively. I've done a lot of roping out in the pasture with 60-foot loops, but not a whole lot of fast competitive stuff... lol.. So it should be interesting..

Well GeneralLeeGirl, it sounds like you're going to be a winner either way. If you do well, that'll be great. If you don't, the experience will make you better the next time.

My guess is that you'll do well.

Just relax and have fun like Bo, Luke and Daisy would do if they were in that situation.

Haha thanks for the boost Roger! I am almost scared to think of what the Dukes would do... If it weren't for the few episodes that actually show them riding horses, I'd say that they'd be lost without a steering wheel and a gas pedal! lol

I still think I'd be better at riding Broncs or Bulls or something since I spend all my time in a saddle breaking horses, but the parents wouldn't go for it :( .. lol. That's probably for the best. Don't wanna go break something and not be able to work during the week ;). That would just be terrible... lol

Good luck with it all, GeneralLeeGirl and think positive. I am sure you'll do good and do your best. No matter what happens or where you end up, it will be a great experience for you to look back at and to learn from.

And don't do something because of the Dukes or not because of the Dukes. They would all want you to do what you would want to do and have fun doing.

Yeah it is probably best you stick with team roping over riding broncs and bulls! That sounds very dangerous...don't know how they do it or how they pay for it all. In NASCAR, it may be dangerous racing at over or near two hundred miles per hour amongst the most aggressive drivers with who knows what will happen around the next corner, but at least they are protected to the max in them cars. Don't mean that they're untouchable or that they can't be hurt, because they can, but they have those cars and the tracks built for extreme safety as well as inside the car and what they wear and what not. They can't exactly do all that for riding Broncs and bulls.

I hope you do great and enjoy doing it!

Is anybody following March Madness? It's amazing how the elite teams are losing and getting knocked out.

I'm rooting for West Virgina because my daughter went there and the "Mountaineers" are a redneck sounding name LOL

Their next team is against the highest ranked team left, Kentucky. So, the Mountaineers got their work cut out for them. It looks like me and Lori Davenport (from Hazard Kentucky) are going to be fueding, just like the Hatfields and McCoys.

I haven't really had a whole lot of time lately to sit down and watch some b-ball. :(... I like cheering for the underdogs.. It makes me feel like I'm in one of those cheesy underdog sports movies... lol. And, my high school team is usually right at the bottom of the heap until the playoffs and then they excel. Always do. lol

Mark this day on the calender people!!! I'm watching NASCAR!!! well actually, it's the pre-race show on right now, but I'm gonna watch it! lol. My physics teacher has been ranting and raving all about these new spoilers that some of the teams are going to be using in this race. So I figured I'd better watch and not be totally out of the loop come Monday ;). lol

Woo Hoo General Lee Girl! :D A NASCAR race...is like nothing else. HA HA. They are getting rid of the wing that they've had the past two years and going back to the rear spoiler for Sunday's race. You'll have to tell me what you think of it and if you find a driver or car you like or what not. Sorry...I'm addicted to anything NASCAR - especially the Sprint Cup. I can't wait to see the spoiler back on the cars and see if they will help them stay on the ground more than the dang wing did. (Guess they should have came up with a different name for it than wing. ;) ) Anyway, got excited when I heard that you watched a race and can't wait to hear what you think about it and if you plan on watching more in the future or not. They are at Martinsville which is a track that my favorite driver (GO GORDON GO :D) is good at so am looking forward to it on Sunday!

hahaha! Yeah I'm gonna watch it Sunday... I watched some of the practice runs today.. I don't have a favorite driver since I just started watching it today, lol, but it feels pointless if I'm watching the race and not cheering for somebody.. I'll just turn it off if I'm not cheering for somebody... And I know Garrett's gonna tell me to cheer for Gordon... But I also like a bit of competition! lol. So I'm gonna go with whatever car is my favorite number.. #11. Is there even an #11? I think I remember there being an #11 on today.. So I'm cheering for #11! lol!