Jimmie's Book - "Best in Hollywood"

Has anyone read "Best in Hollywood" yet? I got my copy in the mail last week, and I'll be posting a formal review of it on our homepage in the days ahead. But I'm also curious about what everybody else thinks of it.

This book is the life and career of James Best, who in Dukes of Hazzard circles, is "Rosco" forevermore. He's done much more in life than chase the Dukes, though, and this book covers his personal history as told by the man himself.

I'm nearly finished with the book and I have to say it's an interesting and entertaining read. There's also more than 150 photos in the book that any James Best fan would want to get a glimpse of.

Also worth noting: the Filmography listed in the Appendix, was compiled by Meadowmufn. It itemizes Jimmie's acting appearances in movies and television, along with projects where he served as director/producer. I thought I knew a lot about Jimmie's career, but this list showed me how much I didn't know.

Again, I'll be posting a formal review soon, but I want everybody to feel encouraged to pipe up with their own reviews. Like any writer, I'm sure Jimmie will appreciate the feedback.

Brian

HazzardNet Administrator

Certainly puts that satchel of stolen credit cards from that one Dukes episode in perspective don't it? LOL

Roger, I found the ISBN number for the book (however, a search at Borders.com website doesn't show the book as being available, but perhaps they can order it in store. I'm not sure how that all works but I'm figuring that's what you're gonna do).

Here is the ISBN...

The publisher is Bear Manor Media (if they need that info as well).

*in Rosco voice*

"Good News, Good News. Khee Khee"

Although Borders doesn't offer "Best in Hollywood" you can order it through Barnes and Noble. Since this book is new (how long ago did it come out? ) Borders said that it may have not have yet popped up in their computer records. This is good news, good news for me since there is also a Barnes and Noble in my county.

Thanks for getting that ISBN for me MaryAnne.

I received my copy (# 99/250) last week and finished reading it already. I was amazed when I learned what life Jimmie has lead.

I had already googled some info about him and Sorrell Booke, my 2 favorite Dukes characters, but this book really opened my eyes about Mr. Best.

Wow.

If you want to learn a bit more about the man behind "Rosco", but also about Hollywood in it's glory days, I really recommend Jimmie's book.

It's also written in an entertaining way. I have never been one for book-reading, but I finished these 300+ pages in just a few evenings. That says enough :-)

I am glad that you were able to find a place where you can get the book at, Roger. I understand where you are leary of ordering things on the internet - you can never be sure about anything over the internet.

I got my book in the mail a week or so ago. Number 215 ;). LOL...though sadly, I have yet to read it due to my lack of time and already in the middle of another novel type book. But I plan on and am looking forward to reading it once I finish the book I am currently reading. What I have seen and read through looking through the book, it looks really interesting and should be a good read.

*in Rosco voice*

"Good News, Good News. Khee Khee"

Although Borders doesn't offer "Best in Hollywood" you can order it through Barnes and Noble. Since this book is new (how long ago did it come out? ) Borders said that it may have not have yet popped up in their computer records. This is good news, good news for me since there is also a Barnes and Noble in my county.

Thanks for getting that ISBN for me MaryAnne.

You're welcome, Roger! The book just came out last month. That's great that you can order it through Barnes and Noble! Great to know for any other Dukes fans out there who might be leary of ordering through the internet or just want to be able to pick up the book locally.

Speaking of the internet....

I am glad that you were able to find a place where you can get the book at, Roger. I understand where you are leary of ordering things on the internet - you can never be sure about anything over the internet.

About the only thing you can be sure of over the internet is HazzardNet. :D But sometimes even we're not sure of this place! ROFL

Sheriff_Rosco_P_Coltrane said:
*Face palms*

Only way you are gonna get a copy is if you order from Jimmies site.

Oh, really? I guess Amazon didn't get the memo. (The link below is an Amazon affiliate link. I get paid a small commission, no extra cost to you, if you purchase through it.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593934602?ie=UTF8&tag=hazzardnet-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1593934602

That doesn't mean you can trust MaryAnne

(Khee Khee!! I couldn't resist)

ROFL. Well, like Rosco says, "I'm as country as a bowl of turnip greens and I can't be trusted!"

You can trust me tho', Roger. Really. Ya can. Brian will vouch for me. :deputy:

The only thing you can't trust MaryAnne on is getting the supplies for the Sheriff's department.

What? *rummages through cabinet near coffee maker* Are we out of coffee cups AGAIN?

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone else read this book since it's release?

It is a good representation of Mr. Best's life journey. Interesting facts and never before seen photos in three hundred twenty one pages.

One of my favorites quotes is "I had not forgotten Burt's earlier generosity, the true act of friendship he offered at a time when I was in dire need".

He is referring to Burt Reynolds. Moments from their friendship are shared. Including one that involves Jerry Reed and the making of Gator.

He details several Dukes Of Hazzard experiences. Like how Rick Hurst found out he was no longer a cast member.

There is a snapshot of Jimmie with FireCreek, a favorite painting. Personal life, early films, stunt work and film school. So much in this legacy writing, including poetry.

Thank you Mr. Best for taking the time to write and share.

I am in the process of reading it at the moment and am almost done with it. Just got done with the Dukes of Hazzard part and cast part of the book. And am really enjoying the book and learning about James Best...I know a lot more about him than I had when I started the book. The pictures are great and enjoyed reading about the Duke cast. It is an enjoyable read for anyone who is a fan of the Dukes or James Best or both.

I still haven't finished my "official" review of the book, though I finished reading it some time ago. Been pulled in a lot of directions lately and I apologize for the delay.

What I'll say in the meantime though, is the book is good. It's interesting reading, and it has some stories in there that I've been fortunate enough to hear in person, along with others that are fresh and entertaining.

Most of all, the book is a good example of personal decisions and where they can take you. Jimmie decided to join the military at a young age; decided to get into acting; decided to move to L.A.; decided to work with this or that, ect ect ect. He's had his share of scrapes and conflicts and disappointments and victories.

There was a surprising amount of emotion near the end of the book, which I'm not going to expand on here, for anyone who hasn't read it yet. I will cover more in my future review, though.

Good comments by everybody... I think we'll let Jimmie see our feedback when we get a couple more people weighing in.

Well I just posted a few days ago of how I liked the book, but hadn't finished it as of then. Well I finished it today - would have finished it sooner if I had more time to read than only when helping put the kids down for nap at work. Anyways, I thought I'd add onto how I felt about the book now that I am entirely done with the book.

It was a great book and I would request other Duke fans or fans of James Best to read the book. I am not big on reading biographies and all that, I normally read mystery/crime novels, but it was an easy and fun read. As I said earlier, I know a lot more about James Best than I had before I read the book - which is a good thing. :D It did a great job at showing the ups and downs in his life and what persistance and hard work had helped him accomplish in his life. He sure is a man of lots of talents! I enjoyed reading the stories he told, the MANY pictures that are in the book, and the poems that he had written and included in the book.

James Best - Thank-you for taking your time and hard work that it took to write the book and to tell your story! I really enjoyed reading it and learning about you and all that you have done and lived through in your life. Thank-you for sharing your poems and pictures as well. It was great.