Cale Yarborough

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It's not every day there is a reference to Dukes related stuff in a newspaper so I was surprised to see a picture of Cale Yarborough on the front page of the sports section of our local paper (Erie Pa) today. 40 years ago today NASCAR changed forever by going mainstream with the first ever race to be broadcast in its entirety on television. It was the 1979 Daytona 500 and since there was major blizzard up north a lot of folks we're sitting inside watching TV and got exposed to NASCAR for the first time. There were over 15 million viewers. Cale attempted to pass Donnie Allison on the last lap and a crash occured. At the time they were in first and second place. A muddy and bloody fight happened between Cale and Donnie's brother Bobby. The drama couldn't have been better for NASCAR since EVERYBODY was talking about it. That was the day NASCAR went from a southern sport to a national one.

Edited by RogerDuke

On 2/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, RogerDuke said:

It's not every day there is a reference to Dukes related stuff in a newspaper so I was surprised to see a picture of Cale Yarborough on the front page of the sports section of our local paper (Erie Pa) today. 40 years ago today NASCAR changed forever by going mainstream with the first ever race to be broadcast in its entirety on television. It was the 1979 Daytona 500 and since there was major blizzard up north a lot of folks we're sitting inside watching TV and got exposed to NASCAR for the first time. There were over 15 million viewers. Cale attempted to pass Donnie Allison on the last lap and a crash occured. At the time they were in first and second place. A muddy and bloody fight happened between Cale and Donnie's brother Bobby. The drama couldn't have been better for NASCAR since EVERYBODY was talking about it. That was the day NASCAR went from a southern sport to a national one.

They also talked about that on pre race of the Daytona 500...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yesterday was Cale's birthday. He was born March 27, 1939. Besides being featured in 2 Dukes episodes here's an interesting trivia fact about Cale: His first ever win was in Valdosta Georgia in 1965. Valdosta is the lifelong home of Sonny Shroyer. I wonder if Sonny was there as a spectator. Happy birthday Cale. I hope it was a good one. 

3 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

I didn't know it was Cale's birthday, but I've just finished watching 'Dukes Meet Cale Yarborough' on TV. It's been a while since I've had a chance to watch many full episodes, so having them back on TV is a good excuse to catch up again.

I'm getting ready to start watching the whole series again. I think I'll start a review thread. 

• 11 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 5:40 PM, RogerDuke said:

Yesterday was Cale's birthday. He was born March 27, 1939. Besides being featured in 2 Dukes episodes here's an interesting trivia fact about Cale: His first ever win was in Valdosta Georgia in 1965. Valdosta is the lifelong home of Sonny Shroyer. I wonder if Sonny was there as a spectator. Happy birthday Cale. I hope it was a good one. 

• 11 months later...

Cale Yarborough turns 83 today. Have a great day buddy! 

Cale is one of only two drivers who won the NASCAR championship. He did it in 76, 77, 78. The Dukes came out in 79 so no wonder Bo and Luke were huge fans.

Here's a weird coincidence. My wife is on the road right now, returning from Detroit. She is with her sister and her two neices Kelley and Julie. I just looked up Cale on Wikipedia. He only has two children and their names are Kelly and Julie. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, RogerDuke said:

Cale is one of only two drivers who won the NASCAR championship. He did it in 76, 77, 78. The Dukes came out in 79 so no wonder Bo and Luke were huge fans.

Here's a weird coincidence. My wife is on the road right now, returning from Detroit. She is with her sister and her two neices Kelley and Julie. I just looked up Cale on Wikipedia. He only has two children and their names are Kelly and Julie. 

listen carefully .....doo doo doo dooo doo doo doo doo.....you can hear Twilight Zone in the background!  :D

• 11 months later...
On 3/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, RogerDuke said:

I hope you had had a great 84th birthday yesterday Cale. I'm just trying  to figure out what I meant in this post from last year. Did I forget to add "3 years in a row". 

• 3 weeks later...

Dang I missed his birthday...I pray you get better soon, buddy! 

Y'all think of the Dukes when you see Cale, I think of his fight on the first televised NASCAR race. He won the spot light over the winner. HA. Though him being on the Dukes and the mention of Richard Petty and that orange car is what started my love for NASCAR. Too bad they complicated things more than they should in today's NASCAR...back in them days, it was about the racing. Just as it should be. No added frills such as the Chase or the segments. It was about the racing. They were allowed to race and not be bogged down by all these man made rules in attempt to make it "more exciting" for the younger people. 

OK my rant is over, because I still like my Hendrick boys. And I'm excited that Chase Elliott is back...LOL.