Whats The Deal?

Cowboy

Ive been looking around Hazzardnet lately, and looking at some of the writing on the more open boards, especially a board that used to be my favorite past time, a place I once really enjoyed writing on. The Round Robin Board.

For those of you who dont know me, Iam Chet Duke and Ive been known for alotta trouble around Hazzardnet over the many years (almost 10 years) Ive been here. But no matter how much trouble I got into I ALWAYS made the best effort to write legible so people could understand what I was doing, where I was and who I was.

I believe theres alotta other people here, weather they simply be readers or writers that can chime in when I say I cant understand a thing thats on the Round Robin boards anymore. ITS A MESS! If I wrote like that when I used to write on the Round Robin board, people woulda freaked out, they never would have written with me. Worst yet, I dont see any of the writers who are struggling asking for help from people who have been here. When I first arrived, I was utterly rebelious! But when it came down to writing, I bit my tongue and asked for help on improving myself because I wanted to beable to stand among the greats.

So Im askin, Whats the Deal? Doesnt anyone take pride in there work anymore? I see SOOO many stories on the Round Robin, hundreds that arent even finished, not to mention illegible and practically incoherent babbling.

Hazzardnet was once a wonderful place, and many parts of it still are, but whats the open boards coming to?

~Chet

"Who's gonna stop it" is a Round Robin and not a Role Play (you should understand the difference), and it's not kind to jump in telling me to read the rules.

Every writer is welcome, I've only asked to use original characters because I'm confused when there are too many created characters in a same fic (It's my fault, I know, but it's difficult for me writing something consistent when there are characters I don't know very well).

I can imagine Hazzard only with original characters. A limit? Maybe it's a "limit".

In round robin board there are a lot of RR where only two-three writers can join in (they claim it at the beginning of the RR), but I think that it's their right to ask to try writing a story like that. I don't get angry for it.

Anyway, there are a lot of round robins, you can like it or not.

But you're not kind saying "illegible and incoherent babbling".

Yeah, there are strange RR (:-?), but you're not respectful to people who write only for fun. Everyone has the right to enjoy writing something, maybe "babbling", or maybe trying to write something more "leggible".

But it's not to you to judge how people write or how people try to have fun.

Well, I'm glad you're back Chet, and I hope to read something from you.

Let me know who exactly Chet is. Maybe I'll go over my limit and I'll learn how to interact with new characters.

*sigh*

Oh Chet, yer back. Great.

Folks. Look. We can please some of the people some of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all the time. It just can't be done. I just got through one thread where there was griping about there being too many role playing threads. Now I got this thread about the quality of the writing in some of the Round Robins.

Why this sudden complaining?

And now what, we're back to the original characters vs. created characters thing again?? What the hell??

Would y'all like it better if we just took away ALL THE WRITING FORUMS?? Hmmm????

My response to Chet is this. There's too many folks here with varying levels of writing skill. I gave up trying give constructive critques awhile ago because all it ever got me was somebody screaming at me. So simply, if I can't comprehend what I'm reading, I just don't read it. And ya know what, Chet, you don't have to read it either.

I mean, come on, is anybody really being hurt by any of this? No.

Is it so bad that we try to make things as accomodating as possible for folks here? Apparently so.

Man I'm starting to get just a little bit peeved here...

The seperation between the ROLE PLAYING and the ROUND ROBINS is very clear, folks. I can't make it any clearer. I mean, they each got their own forums. There's even seperated forums for the Role Playing for Original Characters and Created Characters.

However, I've about given up enforcing the rules of the Round Robins because nobody gives a damn about the rules anyway.

I've about given up with rules period.

The inmates are running the asylum here. I just wander the halls to break up the fights.

:-?

MaryAnne's right. We try to accomodate as many folks as possible, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody. Some people simply don't want help with their writing. If that bothers you, don't read what they write. If you want a higher quality story on the boards, WRITE IT. Get other better writers to write it with you. There's nothing stopping you. Instead of complaining, work towards making things better by contributing to the quality stuff!

You're not perfect either. It's "whether", not "weather". I could sit here and complain about you not using spellcheck, but I'd rather not. EVERYONE can use improvement. Those that want to improve will. I commend you for trying. Those that don't want to, won't. That's their choice.

Chet, if all you're gonna do around here is make trouble and complain, why do you come here? This community is about contributing and building up... not tearing down.

MaryAnne's right. We try to accomodate as many folks as possible, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody. Some people simply don't want help with their writing. If that bothers you, don't read what they write. If you want a higher quality story on the boards, WRITE IT. Get other better writers to write it with you. There's nothing stopping you. Instead of complaining, work towards making things better by contributing to the quality stuff!

You're not perfect either. It's "whether", not "weather". I could sit here and complain about you not using spellcheck, but I'd rather not. EVERYONE can use improvement. Those that want to improve will. I commend you for trying. Those that don't want to, won't. That's their choice.

Chet, if all you're gonna do around here is make trouble and complain, why do you come here? This community is about contributing and building up... not tearing down.

*standing ovation* Thank you MaryAnne and MeadowMufn! You both said it all in a nutshell! If you dont like it Chet, dont read it, its the simple! If you want to focus your energy on something, try focusing it on something useful instead of complaining, focus it on writing!

Theres a saying Chet about people in glass houses not throwing stones...maybe you should think about what those words mean because as MeadowMufn said, this is about a community of fans coming together to celebrate the Dukes, write, talk, play trivia and most of all, have a good time!! Its not for griping, complaining and belly aching. We all have to work together, not tear each other apart...

We all have to work together, not tear each other apart...

Exactly. Threads like this one are only divisive and create bad feelings amongst the membership here. If you have a complaint or questions about ANYTHING that I or MaryAnne or Brian can help resolve or at least address, please approach us about it, ok? We don't bite.

We often give a lot of leeway to the members here, we let some things slide that other forums would take harsher positions on, but we take our commitment to this community seriously, which means we often have to make decisions that we don't like to have to make. You, of all people, Chet, should know this, as you've been banned how many times before for harrassment and other serious offenses? We have had more than one problem with long time members this week and had to make some tough decisions.

While I do agree with you, Chet, that the quality of some of the RPs/RRs isn't great and I would love for them all to be pulitzer prize winners, we have made the decision to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Now, you may within your own RPs/RRs choose to be exclusive. That's fine with us.

MaryAnne, Brian, and I put a lot of time and effort into making this site enjoyable for everyone. It's often a thankless job, so forgive us if we get a little testy sometimes. It seems like NOBODY'S on their best behavior this week and we've been overworked dealing with it while we have a lot of stuff outside of HazzardNet we should be doing. I know some of you appreciate the effort we put into this place and for that, we thank you.

Im sorry, I wasnt trying to complain and I have made a effort to be a better part of this community. I do loose my cool at times, but we all do. But i will stay off the RR and stay away from people as it seems to work best for everyone.

~Chet

You don't have to stay away, Chet. Just try to keep your cool, ok? Try counting to 10. LOL.

That would be a great trivia question. Anybody ever add up the number of times Rosco crashes or otherwise scuffs a patrol car througout the series?

That would be a lotta 01+01+01+01 to count....

Remember we used to have a daily running count on the Hazzard County Sheriff's Department website when the show was airing on TNN? LOL.