RIP Dimebag Darrell

Eddiemunster

I know that probably not many people on this forum is into his style of metal music, but I wish to give my condolences to "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott's family.

I find it very disturbing in today's world where people are turning to violence, especially with firearms. Now, I do not wish to start any personal political views on this forum. So, I'll just leave it as that.

Darrell was an amazing musician who had so many great fans who admire his ability to play. May he rest in peace. :(

• 2 months later...

I have the first two Pantera albums, and their "Best Of" album. I used to have the third album, but that was stolen from me. I haven't bought the fourth and fifth albums yet. After I heard the news, I bought the Damage Plan CD, and it's not bad. I prefer Pantera better, but DP is pretty darn good headbanging stuff. (Can't be bangin' too much. Besides getting a splitting headache, I lose too many brain cells.)

It's a crying shame these days, not knowing who's going to do something crazy to you. The thing that got me was that this disturbed young man was angry at Darrell and his brother Vinnie for leaving Pantera, so he shoots at them, killing Darrell?!?!?! I can't help to wonder what kind of thinking this world revolves around.

Too bad that Dean Guitars originally dropped that "star" shape guitar. Only if they knew that a couple of years later, Dimebag Darrell would become famous with that guitar. It wasn't until Pantera's second album that Washburn copied that guitar for a Dimebag Signiture model. Now, Washburn is raking in the dough, and Dean is S.O.L.!!!

I think Dean came back into making that guitar again, just to try to "reclaim" the money that they "lost", but Washburn is the real Signature model.

Too bad that Dean Guitars originally dropped that "star" shape guitar. Only if they knew that a couple of years later, Dimebag Darrell would become famous with that guitar. It wasn't until Pantera's second album that Washburn copied that guitar for a Dimebag Signiture model. Now, Washburn is raking in the dough, and Dean is S.O.L.!!!

I think Dean came back into making that guitar again, just to try to "reclaim" the money that they "lost", but Washburn is the real Signature model.

Here's the scoop on Dime's signature guitar model as far as I know...

Dime won his first Dean "star shaped guitar" when he was 14 years old at a guitar playing competition in Texas, which became his signature model. After a deal with Dean, Darrell later signed a deal with Washburn(as far as I know a guitar shape cannot be copyrighted-note the many Stratocaster copies). Not long before his death, Dime once again signed a deal with Dean after his Washburn contract ran out. Both the Washburn and Dean Guitars are almost identical inn their appearance.

A guitar shape can be trademarked. Rickenbacker sued many manufacturers back in the eighties for making copys. John Hall, the CEO, sued on trademark infringement. The reason why strats, Les Pauls, and such are being copied is because Fender and Gibson already license their namesakes and trademarks to "foreign" manufacturers, hence Fender's Squire series and Gibson's Epiphone guitars. Rickenbacker doesn't do this at all, so they can uphold a trademark infringement lawsuit and win it in court. So far this is the only company I know to do this.