The 2 reunions

dukefan

after the cast attended the funeral of Sorrel Booke, they all started talking about the past and such and how long it had been since they were all together. Then the idea was born to do a reunion movie, honoring Sorrel.

It was sad that Sorrel was not in it, and even sadder that Denver Pile was fighting cancer at the time, but wanted to be part of the movie just the same.

So what did you all think of the 2 reunions? I for one loved it.The first one was more like the old days times, and the second was more emotional, which I really loved.

I like the closeness of the dukes in the second movie, especially when Luke meets up with his old love( for the life of me , I can't remember her name right now), but anyways....

I liked the idea, the first was dedicated to Boss and the second to Jesse, what did you all think of these movies, and what did you like or did not like about both Reunion movies?

Both were good the first one is by far the better.Both were severly under budgeted which is sad, if you are gonna do something do it full scale. WB was too cheap to get Waylon to do the balladeering.

When they made the 2 reunions, waylon was sick or already passed on, I can't rememeber right now.

Don williams was the balladeer for the first reunion, which I thought was pretty good.

I don't know who Balladeered for the second Reunion,but I did not care for him to much.

If it didn't hurt so much to know that Sorrell was dead and Denver didn't look healthy and Waylon's voice wasn't there, I really would have liked the first reunion movie. I tried real hard to like it but those three things just got in the way. I can't be critical of other people who like it because it really was good but I guess I'm just not the kind of person who can handle that kind of change. I wish they wouldn't have had Denver in it. They could have said that him and Boss were at an old moonshiners convention in Atlanta.

Another thing I didn't like is that Jesse was living alone in his condition and none of the 3 younger Dukes said at the end that they were moving back to the farm to help him (even though he would have refused)

But I'm sure Denver loved doing that reunion show as much as he loved doing the series so I can find peace knowing he was happy with his final acting job.

If it didn't hurt so much to know that Sorrell was dead and Denver didn't look healthy and Waylon's voice wasn't there, I really would have liked the first reunion movie. I tried real hard to like it but those three things just got in the way. I can't be critical of other people who like it because it really was good but I guess I'm just not the kind of person who can handle that kind of change. I wish they wouldn't have had Denver in it. They could have said that him and Boss were at an old moonshiners convention in Atlanta.

Another thing I didn't like is that Jesse was living alone in his condition and none of the 3 younger Dukes said at the end that they were moving back to the farm to help him (even though he would have refused)

But I'm sure Denver loved doing that reunion show as much as he loved doing the series so I can find peace knowing he was happy with his final acting job.

I can understand what you are saying Roger, but Jesse was living alone alright, but in the story, he was not sick, Denver Pile was sick, but he demanded to Play his part as Uncle Jesse one more time.

The cast wasn't going to have him in because he was fighting Cancer, but they let him in because he wanted to act as Uncle jesse one more time.

Denver Pile passed on 6 months after the shoot was done.

I am not trying to change your mind or anything Roger, I just thought I would pass on this information to ya!

You're hard core when it comes to the Dukes of Hazzard, and I sure appreciate that, because when it came to the tv series and coy and vance took over, I could not accept season 5 at all, not untill John and Tom came back at least.

So I understand where you are coming from as well, and I am happy that you put your opinion on this thread, means a lot to me.:)

I liked both reunion movies, because the real Dukes where in it.

It was sad that Denver looked like he did in the first one, but at least he was there in the first movie. It gave us more time with Uncle Jesse. The first movie gave insight of what the duke cousin did after they left home. Some might not like that Bo, Luke, and Daisy didn't live at the farm, but you have to leave home sometime. It's apart of growing up.

I liked both reunion movies, because the real Dukes where in it.

It was sad that Denver looked like he did in the first one, but at least he was there in the first movie. It gave us more time with Uncle Jesse. The first movie gave insight of what the duke cousin did after they left home. Some might not like that Bo, Luke, and Daisy didn't live at the farm, but you have to leave home sometime. It's apart of growing up.

Yeah that is so true, and I am sure Jesse was not always alone, they just did not explain that part in the movie, after all, he can't take care of the farm hisself .

I was happy too, to see the dukes on tv again, even with the abscence of Boss.

We've covered these reunion shows before and I've been the only one who doesn't like them from what I can remember. I can certainly understand why everyone disagrees with me and I respect everybody. It's one of those things in life that....even though you know you should think a certain way, you just can't no matter how hard you try......so I suppose I'm all alone on this one. I don't mind. I look at this way. At least it earned me one of the best complimemts I've ever gotten in my life....

"You're hard core when it comes to the Dukes of Hazzard"

Thanks dukefan, that put a big smile on my face.

Yes, I suppose I am. *smiles again* I do take my Dukes seriousely.....possum on a gumbush!!!!

well...in a 90 minute movie there isnt time to explain everything...if everything about the Dukes was always explained the only one talkin would be the balladeer... part of the fun of the show is to "get lost" in what is Hazzard County, not over-analyze it...

You make a good point Daisy, that is so true.:)

We've covered these reunion shows before and I've been the only one who doesn't like them from what I can remember. I can certainly understand why everyone disagrees with me and I respect everybody. It's one of those things in life that....even though you know you should think a certain way, you just can't no matter how hard you try......so I suppose I'm all alone on this one. I don't mind. I look at this way. At least it earned me one of the best complimemts I've ever gotten in my life....

"You're hard core when it comes to the Dukes of Hazzard"

Thanks dukefan, that put a big smile on my face.

Yes, I suppose I am. *smiles again* I do take my Dukes seriousely.....possum on a gumbush!!!!

you are so welcome Roger, I respect your opinion and such, you're an awesome man and a even more awesome friend to us all.:)

I love the two reunion movies because there are so many plot loops in them that we can fill which is another reason why I love the original series too. You can use those plot loops and incontinuities to make Hazzard County what you wish and to do what you wish with the characters backgrounds and future lives. It keeps your imagination going and lets you live with the characters and see what they do.

I loved in the second movie that they really branched Luke's character out. You can see in the bit before that Dukefan in the garage when Bo's talking to Luke about being worried to make a commitment - Luke tells all about Anita and his lost chance at love and then says one of the most memorable lines in the whole dang thing to me - 'Don't walk away from someone who WANTS t'love ya' That really sounds like big brother passing on some wisdom to little brother and we also see the more emotional caring side to Luke. I love that so much and I cant help but feel that if the writers had done that in the first place for Tom in the series some more than just once with Candy and Amy creevy then Tom wouldn't feel that Luke his character is so two dimensional.

I really like the way BoJamesDuke is so positive about everything that is Dukes related.

I remember (probably about a year and a half ago) I once posted something negative about the episode "Strange Visitor to Hazzard" and Bo responded to my post with praise for that episode.

Well, it's supposed to be older people who give good advice to younger ones, but even though Bo is younger than my kids, the advice was excellent. Since that advice, I've watched the entire DVD set completely twice and both times I saw that episode again, I liked it.

I don't know if I'd feel any different about the reunion shows if I ever saw them again but little things like Bo's comments sure can make a difference.....not just in how people look at a TV show but how they look at life.

Also, thanks for the compliment dukefan. Trust me, the feeling is mutual. You're a true Hazzardite.

I really like the way BoJamesDuke is so positive about everything that is Dukes related.

I remember (probably about a year and a half ago) I once posted something negative about the episode "Strange Visitor to Hazzard" and Bo responded to my post with praise for that episode.

Well, it's supposed to be older people who give good advice to younger ones, but even though Bo is younger than my kids, the advice was excellent. Since that advice, I've watched the entire DVD set completely twice and both times I saw that episode again, I liked it.

I don't know if I'd feel any different about the reunion shows if I ever saw them again but little things like Bo's comments sure can make a difference.....not just in how people look at a TV show but how they look at life.

Also, thanks for the compliment dukefan. Trust me, the feeling is mutual. You're a true Hazzardite.

That's the thing Roger, sometimes we need views from others to see things different. Now, I was not crazy for "visitor in Hazzard " either, especially when I don't believe in aliens to began with.

But the idea of the show is , the dukes stick together to help anyone or anything that is in trouble, I know sounds korny, but that's how I viewed that show.

It was the dukes, the chemistry of it all and so on, but I still will never like season 5 when Coy and Vance took over, never.

So I can see your point about the reunions, only difference is, they still had that bond, and the loss of Boss and Jesse in those 2 movies, was felt stronger than ever before, that's one of the reason I loved the 2 reunions so much.:)

• 2 weeks later...

That is true happens to all of us sometimes we just dont understand everything or get everything the first time around or maybe even the second, but that is what we all are here for, I am just glad that the reunion movies was nothing like the newer movies(only saw the first one). I really liked in the second one where the dude is getting beat up by the 3 or 4 guys and bo and luke stop to help him, now who would do that in LA, but if your bo and luke sure why not. Roger I understand what you are saying to about the movies it is not the same without waylon, but atleast they tried you know better than any crap that has been on since then. GOOD THREAD.

That is true happens to all of us sometimes we just dont understand everything or get everything the first time around or maybe even the second, but that is what we all are here for, I am just glad that the reunion movies was nothing like the newer movies(only saw the first one). I really liked in the second one where the dude is getting beat up by the 3 or 4 guys and bo and luke stop to help him, now who would do that in LA, but if your bo and luke sure why not. Roger I understand what you are saying to about the movies it is not the same without waylon, but atleast they tried you know better than any crap that has been on since then. GOOD THREAD.

Thanks Dukefan1, I So love the two reunions for many reasons, and although Boss was not in the first and Jesse was not in the second, to me seeing the two movies was like seeing a continuing of the original Dukes continuing their lives the best they could with the losses they had suffered.

• 11 months later...
well...in a 90 minute movie there isnt time to explain everything...if everything about the Dukes was always explained the only one talkin would be the balladeer... part of the fun of the show is to "get lost" in what is Hazzard County, not over-analyze it...

Yeah, those plot loops are what fanfiction is for :lol: it's to say to viewers, "We know you're inteligent, you can come up with some explanation."

Just nobody being there that we see to help Jesse; actually, not only is it likely tha Bo, being big into racing, could easily have hired someone, but there are 2 characters who not only could have, but very likely did, help Uncle Jesse out on the farm. Characters that had to leave to help someone else then. Just like last time.

I'm talking about Coy and Vance. :lol: hey, it's plausible, it would explain that hole, and brings them back without having them actually int he reunion. :lol:

OMG to this, this was the saddest thing in Dukes I have ever seen! When Luke does that flashback telling Bo not to let Gabby leave, I feel so damn sorry for him! If you think about it - in the Dukes world, Luke is responsible for two of the biggest music names in Country ,Candy Dix and Anita Blackwell and he loses both of them! Neither one can be bothered to stick around for him, rather focus on being famous. That's what really kills me about it.

AND most annoyingly is after Anita leaves him, he's left there standing alone and Bo doesn't say a word. Doesn't hug him, doesn't put a hand on his shoulder or anything like that. In the show, that never would have happened. Powerful as that image is, it would have felt more Dukes to have Bo react in some way to comfort Luke a little rather than leave him high and dry and look like he's showing off the fact he's got a girl.

To be honest, I hate that Luke never gets to have anyone - he seems more likely to settle down than Bo. The fact that the writers breaks his heart like that twice over is just horrible in my mind.

This was a fav scene of mine on Reunion 2, after Anita Blackwell left luke....

vlcsnap-339411.png