Help!

General Grant

Hey Y'all!

Okay... I need help. If there's anyone out there that is knowledgeable about vehicles, please help! Okay, I have a 1982 (I think!) Ford Bronco XLT. Right now it's in a state of slight disrepair. Basically where should I start? Last time I looked (last summer :) ) it did start, but I'm not sure. Its just an old farm truck, so the battery gets removed and it gets parked behind the barn for the winter. But anyways, it "clunks" when you drive it (it is a manual transmission, four wheel drive) And the liner on the ceiling is falling down. I am working on gluing it back up, or something. (I don't know how to work on cars... most I've done is add some gas/oil and pump the tires :oops: ) So, does anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and please use language for simpler folk like me who couldn't tell you the difference between the sparkplug and the air filter!

General Grant

Check the universal joints in the drive shaft also check the oil level in the tranny and differential. If it has sat for a long period of time you may have had leaks that you weren't aware of it kinda sounds like a universal joint though. Pray it isn't in the transfer case for the 4 wheel drive.I've been told that can get very expensive.

Hi General, Tim's right. It could be a number of things. Judging by the last sentence in your post, I would suggest you call Cooter and have him come over and take a look and listen. It's pretty tough to diagnose these things on the computer. On the other hand, if you are having psychological problems, we could probably analyze and treat those in a matter of minutes. We're here to help. LOL

Thank You, TimDuke, that really helps out a lot! I should probably just junk that old Bronco and get a better vehicle... but I like it too much! Everyone thinks I'm crazy (and no, I'm not trying to fuel the fire here for Roger!) but you CAN get attatched to a machine! Hey, the Dukes are attatched to their General Lee!

As for my psychological state... its not like anyone has ever called me crazy! Hey, it takes one psychological nutcase to know one! So ha! ha! ha! I learned that from the best (ahem, ahem, Roger...) It is just aweful that a sane person, such as myself, has to defend themself against two complete nutcases! Maybe that wasn't the right thing to say to help my case... it means even the cazies think I'm crazy! UGH!

I'm sure it is hard to understand what I was trying to say about what is wrong with the Bronco, but thank you, Tim for trying to help, but it looks like I'm just going to get bombarded by insults about my psychological state by two certain someones I know... Oh, I'm hurt... No, I'm just kidding. Oh, Laura, you have NOT warned me about my mental state, I've been warning you... about yours! I think maybe you have been hanging around Roger too long and have been picking up some bad habits from him... or maybe Roger's been picking up bad habits from you... you two are the nuts in this tree, not me! I'm a perfect angel! :innocent:

That was a good dig, though, Roger! CONGRATS! I read it and looked like this: :lol: Then I read Laura encouraging it and looked more like this :roll:

Okay, I'll zip it now... all in fun, though!

Seriously, though, thank you so much for the help, Tim. I have anothe question though... what is a universal joint?! I should just go take an automotive mechanics class...

Before I say something that makes me look like an even bigger blundering fool than Roger and Laura have made me look, I'll stop! Bye for now!

General Grant, the psychological nutcase- not that I'm admitting it there, just playing along with your little games! :popcorn:

i think it is part of the wheel that joints to the drive shaft (i could be wrong)

You're spot on General. In vehicles, a universal joint allows drive shafts to move up and down as a vehicle passes over bumps. Now what's a drive shaft you ask? It sends power created by the engine to a central transmission which allows the wheels to move.

What you should do is go to an auto parts store and ask for a book on your particular vehicle. Chilton is one of the more recognized guides and breaks things down for your. If you are not going to use your vehicle for long periods of time, your really shouldn't let it sit. You should crank the engine and let it run for several minutes every few days. This keeps sedatives or impurities in the fluids of your engine from settling and building up. it also keeps fluids from leaking out which could be very harmful to the engine if you try to start it up after a long period.

Hey Y'all!

Thanks, artykidd! That really is helpful...it was nice that I actually (kind of) understood what you were saying. I do have one of those manuals for the vehicle, I actually got it as a birthday gift a couple years ago. Well, I started out reading it, but it was kind of like a foreign language... I didn't understand it very well. I guess I must be one of them people that has to actually work on something to understand it... only thing is I'm afraid I might do something wrong and wreck the Bronco even more. I'm kind of paranoid that I'll do something wrong and when I go to start it, it'll explode or blow the engine or something aweful like that... I'd cry! (besides that I get teased that if I took it over a little bump that the whole vehicle would fall apart and the only thing left would be the driver seat and the steering wheel!)

Anyways, thank you to everyone who's been trying to help me... I really appreciate it! You all are really knowledgeable in this area, and I really, REALLY appreciate all of the help you've given me. Thank you so much!

General Grant

Very Nice Quote, Roger! I really like that one... never heard it before. I'll admit, I haven't really listened to a whole lot of Waylon Jennings songs. (and don't go bugging your eyes out in suprise, Roger!)

Anyways, what happened to your Ford Mustang? That is so sad that it reduces you to tears when you think about it. Actually, the guy we bought the Bronco from is a friend of the family, and he was telling me the other day that it was his first vehicle and he just loves it. He said that when ever he is over he just loves to go look at the Bronco. That made my day, because at least one person on this earth understands about that rusty, beat up old Bronco! I just love it!

Anyways, Roger, I hope that the story about your Mustang isn't sad or anything. I just hate sad endings. I'd like to hear about it if you don't mind, though.

General Grant

Well General, It was my first car. I took over payments ($99/month) from my brother when he went into the Marines and I was still in high school. I owned it for 11 years from 1977 to 1988 and thought about restoring it someday but finally accepted the fact that it would have just been too costly and so I sold it for parts. Besides, it was a 1975 and they don't have much value as classics like the 1964-1973 Mustangs do. Well, I have a lot of pictures and countless memories of that old blue car so that will have to do. Someday I might try to buy one that is as close to my old car as I can find.

As you know General I don't have computer skills but if you have the ability to look up an old song called "Old Yellow Car" you'll probably really enjoy it. It's about getting attatched to a car so you can probably relate to it. I have it on the tip of my tongue who sang it but can't quite spit it out.

Roger:

That is both a happy and sad story. It is great that you got a lot of pictures, though. Realistically, I think I'm in the same situation as you were... it may be expensive. I know there was talk around here about junking it... I'd cry if that ever happened. I may have to though, it really is BEAT UP. I'll still be upset. I'd probably get depressed. This makes me want to go get a bunch of pictures. Like... Thirty rolls of film worth, or a couple memory cards, which ever has more!

I'll have to look up that song. "Old Yellow Car" I'll make a note to do that, and another note so I dont' lose it!

Catch y'all around Hazzard!

Oh, and thank you for sharing your story, Roger!

General Grant

• 2 months later...

I agree with tim it probably is your u-joint, climb underneath your vehicle and there will be along shaft at each end will be a u-joint or universal joint. Grab the driveshaft and push it up and down and wiggle it side to side if it has alot of play that is your problem, you will be able to hear it make sure you use force when yo do it. do both of them.