Smokey And The Bandit

Capt_Redneck

We just saw Smokey and the Bandit last night on CMT...just about jumped out of our seats when we saw BEN JONES in an opening scene. Jam didn't recognize him with the moustache and Amanda had to point him out.

We already knew about the scene with SONNY SHROYER and were disappointed that he never takes those goggles off. Also, he does a better funny cop than mean cop. It was funny when he said "Thanks a lot!" after falling into large puddle on his bike.

We tried to find a young John Schnieder, but alas, it was all in vain.

We also noticed a lot of Dukes connections, such as, The Bandit's real name is Bo, Snowman's name is Cletus, obviously Big ENOS Burdette (rest in peace), and Fred being a basset hound (although a much larger one than Flash). There were also a lot of familar CB talk and car wrecks ( the top of a patrol car being stripped off).

Oh yeah, definately a good movie. We saw it the first time years ago on "Dinner and a Movie" and our sister Deb, we believe, still has the recipe for "Breaker Breaker Banana Cream Pie." As we recall, it was delicious. We'll have to make it again.

We just saw Smokey and the Bandit last night on CMT...just about jumped out of our seats when we saw BEN JONES in an opening scene. Jam didn't recognize him with the moustache and Amanda had to point him out.

We already knew about the scene with SONNY SHROYER and were disappointed that he never takes those goggles off. Also, he does a better funny cop than mean cop. It was funny when he said "Thanks a lot!" after falling into large puddle on his bike.

We tried to find a young John Schnieder, but alas, it was all in vain.

We also noticed a lot of Dukes connections, such as, The Bandit's real name is Bo, Snowman's name is Cletus, obviously Big ENOS Burdette (rest in peace), and Fred being a basset hound (although a much larger one than Flash). There were also a lot of familar CB talk and car wrecks ( the top of a patrol car being stripped off).

Oh yeah, definately a good movie. We saw it the first time years ago on "Dinner and a Movie" and our sister Deb, we believe, still has the recipe for "Breaker Breaker Banana Cream Pie." As we recall, it was delicious. We'll have to make it again.

We figured, why not? We copy and pasted the recipe from the "Dinner and a Movie" website. Enjoy!

"Smokey And The Bandit" Breaker...Breaker Banana Cream Pie

The perfect snack for those midnight stops...10 4 over and out.

You will need:

For the Pie Crust:

1 8 oz package chocolate wafers, finely ground

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/8 cup sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 egg white, beaten

For the Filling:

3/4 cup sugar

5 tbl cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

3 cups half and half

4 egg yolks, beaten

4 tbl butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

4 firm, ripe bananas in 1/4" slices

juice of 1 lemon

For the Topping:

2 cups whipping cream

1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

1 clever and irreverent CB handle to elevate you to folk hero status

1 persistent smokey on your tail

Directions:

1. Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 - F. In a large bowl combine the ground wafers, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon and beaten egg white. Stir with a fork until evenly mixed and well moistened.

2. Empty the crust mixture into well battered 9" pie plate. Spread and pat mixture evenly over the sides and bottom of the pie plate and bake 10 minutes until firm.

3. Make the Filling. In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan sift together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and the egg yolks and continue whisking until creamy and free of lumps.

4. Place the egg and milk mixture over a medium heat and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Reduce heat to a low simmer and continue to whisk and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.

5. Pour the hot mixture into a mixing bowl, stir in the vanilla and butter and sprinkle with sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool for 20 minutes before filling the pie shell (the plastic wrap should lie directly on the pudding surface to prevent a skin from forming.)

6. Slice the bananas crosswise into 1/4" slices and toss with the lemon juice.

7. Fill the pie: Spread 1/3 of the filling in the bottom of the pie crust and arrange 1/2 the sliced bananas evenly over the filling. Spread another third of the filling over the banana layer and top with the remaining bananas. Finish by topping the remaining filling and dusting with a little toasted coconut. Refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours or until the filling has set.

8. Combine the cream and the coconut and whip until thickened but not stiff. Spoon coconut cream over each slice and eat rapidly.

9. Finish your coffee, tip the waitress and hop back in your 14 wheeler and remember good buddy, old truckers never die- they just get a new peter built.

We figured, why not? We copy and pasted the recipe from the "Dinner and a Movie" website. Enjoy!

"Smokey And The Bandit" Breaker...Breaker Banana Cream Pie

The perfect snack for those midnight stops...10 4 over and out.

You will need:

For the Pie Crust:

1 8 oz package chocolate wafers, finely ground

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/8 cup sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 egg white, beaten

For the Filling:

3/4 cup sugar

5 tbl cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

3 cups half and half

4 egg yolks, beaten

4 tbl butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

4 firm, ripe bananas in 1/4" slices

juice of 1 lemon

For the Topping:

2 cups whipping cream

1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

1 clever and irreverent CB handle to elevate you to folk hero status

1 persistent smokey on your tail

Directions:

1. Make the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 - F. In a large bowl combine the ground wafers, melted butter, sugar, cinnamon and beaten egg white. Stir with a fork until evenly mixed and well moistened.

2. Empty the crust mixture into well battered 9" pie plate. Spread and pat mixture evenly over the sides and bottom of the pie plate and bake 10 minutes until firm.

3. Make the Filling. In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan sift together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk and the egg yolks and continue whisking until creamy and free of lumps.

4. Place the egg and milk mixture over a medium heat and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Reduce heat to a low simmer and continue to whisk and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.

5. Pour the hot mixture into a mixing bowl, stir in the vanilla and butter and sprinkle with sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool for 20 minutes before filling the pie shell (the plastic wrap should lie directly on the pudding surface to prevent a skin from forming.)

6. Slice the bananas crosswise into 1/4" slices and toss with the lemon juice.

7. Fill the pie: Spread 1/3 of the filling in the bottom of the pie crust and arrange 1/2 the sliced bananas evenly over the filling. Spread another third of the filling over the banana layer and top with the remaining bananas. Finish by topping the remaining filling and dusting with a little toasted coconut. Refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours or until the filling has set.

8. Combine the cream and the coconut and whip until thickened but not stiff. Spoon coconut cream over each slice and eat rapidly.

9. Finish your coffee, tip the waitress and hop back in your 14 wheeler and remember good buddy, old truckers never die- they just get a new peter built.

• 4 weeks later...

I think y'all should watch Smokey & The Bandit again. There are alot of inneundos and a whole heck of a lot of cussing. It seems that people forget that or maybe have just seen it on TV only.

I have read a lot of reviews about the new DOH movie and the first thing they say negative is the cursing. Well Smokey & The Bandit was just as bad and you can't say it wasn't . Don't forget that this was one of the inspritations for the DOH series, so the new movie was on this level...

I'm gone

Darrell

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did ya'll know there is a special edition DVD of Smokey & The Bandit that just came out a few weeks ago....

I am surprised that it took this long and wasn't really advertised or anything.

I think they did a decent job with it. Some good extras...

Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Special Edition, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC

Language: English

DVD Features:

Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS)

"Loaded Up and Truckin' - The Making of Smokey and the Bandit" featurette

Snowman, What's Your 20? - The Smokey and the Bandit CB Tutorial

I'm gone

Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

I got it for Father's Day last sunday. Smokey & The Bandit - Special Edition..

Let me just say they did an awesoem job on the sound , putting this in 5:1 surround. The sound and music is awesome now

The picture and colars are a lot brighter now. They really cleaned up the transfrer for the this DVD. It doesn't seem that this movie is almost 30 years old now.

The extras are decent. It is decent seeing Burt and Hal Needham reminisce about making the movie. There are even a few old interviews with Jackie Gleason. It was great seeing Paul Williams talk about it too. BUT where was Sally Field and Jerry Reed. Those 2 needed to be interviewed as they much apart of the film as the others. Maybe the "making of" could have been more like the Dukes BBQ on the season 1 DVD set. Have everyone together talking about the movie.

Overall it is worth it just to see the new transfer in 5:1 surround sound. Maybe they could have included some other extras like different stunts that didn't make it in the movie or maybe line flubs or some scenes that didn't make it in the movie.....

I'm gone

Darrell

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My daughter got me another copy of the Special Edition for Christmas.

From what I understand they changed some of the sounds when they remastered it in 5.1. The opening scene where the tractor starts up is a different one than the original and in a few other spots too.

Overall it is worth it nad most likely the only special edition we will ever get.

I'm gone

Darrell

• 2 years later...

Chalk up 3 new converts to Smokey and the Bandit. I've just shown it to 3 twentysomethings (some born 10 years after it came out - boy does that make me feel old), and they all loved it. We do a cultural exchange - they show me modern horror stuff, and I bring 'round great car/truck/road movies - I think I'm winning. We did Convoy 2 weeks ago, Every Which Way But Loose last week and SATB this week, will probably do Any Which Way You Can, Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) or SATB 2 next week.

@bush tucker man (from nearly 5 years ago, but I know he's still about).

There is now a replica of Snowman's rig - pics and story here:

http://smokeyandthebanditmodels.com/Snowman_s_Truck.php

For those of you still wondering about John Schneider's part in SATB I posted some screen grabs in another thread - they're attachments, so you'll have to be logged in to see them.

http://www.hazzardnet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=187341#post187341

Now, if only Sally Field would ask me to take my hat off ...

• 3 weeks later...

If there's hundreds of General Lee replicas, I think we got hundreds of Bandit TA replicas. (As evidence from the photos in the link below) LOL

I was cruisin' through this thread looking for something else when I saw the question about the Snowman's truck. I saw Hoss posted a link to a replica truck. I dunno if this truck is the same but there was at this year's Bandit Run....

http://www.thebanditrunphotos.com/2010%20picture%20page.aspx

Man, if I coulda been in Atlanta, GA with a couple hundred Bandit TAs and other Firebird friends, I'da been happy! LOL

I saw Hoss posted a link to a replica truck. I dunno if this truck is the same but there was at this year's Bandit Run....

I think it is the same truck. The link I posted had it on the Bandit Run '09 with the commemorative Jerry Reed artwork inside the back doors.

I know it's the wrong thread, but another group of enthusiasts have recreated Rubber Duck's Mack and trailer from Convoy (I can't remember now, but I think the trailer they have may have been one of the ones used for filming). There's also pictures on a Japanese website from a guy who built a fully working 1:14 radio controlled model of RD's truck - it even has working lights.

Is it just me, or do you think both the Trans-Am and Snowman's truck were better in the first film. I never liked the '80 Trans-Am as much as the '77, and the truck looked right in matching black and gold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I tend to agree with most of what I have seen in this thread. The first SATB is my favorite. Seems The Dukes and the Bandit share a common backgorund. Great drivng, lots of wrecked police cars, and a couple of sheriffs that seem to be funnier the more frustrated they get. Wonder how funny it would be to Get Roscoe and Buford in the same patrol car together? That would be worth paying for.

• 2 months later...

Did like the movie. Just saw it on TV on Burt Reynold's B-Day. Somehow I missed watching it all the times before. My mom always told me how much she did like the movie. But I mixed it up it with another movie, which has almost the same title in german language.

• 10 years later...

Sheriff Buford T. Justice:"Come back here! I saw that you sumb****! You did that on purpose! You'll go away 'til your gray! I got the evidence! I'm gonna barbecue your a** in Molasses!" To Jr. "Put the evidence in the car!" Jr.:"But daddy-" Sheriff Buford T. Justice:"Put the evidence in the car! Put the evidence in the back! I said it before, and I'll say it again, there is no way, no way that you could come from my loins! The first I'm gonna do when I get home, is punch your momma in the mouth!"