dukesfest 2009?

This question was written on January 15, 2009.

A few days ago I got to thinking about Dukesfest 2009. At the Atlanta Motor Speedway one, I was told that there would be an announcement after the cars were jumped in the stunt show.

Well, no announcement.

Then I checked the Dukesfest page and saw only stuff that related to last year's show in 2008, the 30th anniversary.

Then I went to Cooter's Place website and did not see anything about the Dukesfest for this year, 2009. So, I e-mailed them and got a terse reply. Basically they said that they were no longer doing the Dukesfest and it was up to John from now on.

Well, he's got my e-mail address and I did not get any type of letters to the fans announcing the situation with the 2009 Dukesfest.

Then I checked HazzardNet.com and Dukesonline.com and saw some talk / arguments about there NOT being a Dukesfest 2009.

Is it because some bad things happened at the June 2008 program? Could it be that John does not have the money? Not enough or no sponsors? Bad publicity for Dukes because of the "politically incorrect" Confederate battle flag on the roof of the General Lee car?

So, does that mean that there will NOT be one for the current 2009 year? I have my hunch that we may have seen the 30th anniversary Dukesfest in June 2008 to be the last one EVER.

Does anyone concur?

The whole thing is mainly to do with the credit crunch. Everyone is affected by it, even John who you gotta remember is not an A List celebrity though he should be. He's gotta support his family and make a living let alone pay for Dukesfest out of his own pocket. Beforehand, Dukesfest had CMT as a sponser but now they've pulled out John's been left in the lurch and trying to find people who will sponser the event. Last year, thank god, the car company Dodge sponsered it and some other smaller companies but John himself made a huge loss.

I doubt that there will NEVER be another one but it does depend on the economy and how John's own financial situation is. Rest assured though, that while there are Dukes Fans out there, there will always be some kind of Dukes event even if the cast dont show up. I doubt the 30th Anniversary will be the last we see of Dukesfest at the moment.

The whole thing is mainly to do with the credit crunch. Everyone is affected by it, even John who you gotta remember is not an A List celebrity though he should be. He's gotta support his family and make a living let alone pay for Dukesfest out of his own pocket. Beforehand, Dukesfest had CMT as a sponser but now they've pulled out John's been left in the lurch and trying to find people who will sponser the event. Last year, thank god, the car company Dodge sponsered it and some other smaller companies but John himself made a huge loss.

I doubt that there will NEVER be another one but it does depend on the economy and how John's own financial situation is. Rest assured though, that while there are Dukes Fans out there, there will always be some kind of Dukes event even if the cast dont show up. I doubt the 30th Anniversary will be the last we see of Dukesfest at the moment.

Okidoki. Good explanation. Thanks for being so concise.

If all these factors that prevailed to make an economic "perfect storm" stick around for several more years, the 30th anniversary (2008) Dukesfest at the Atlanta Motor Speedway may very well be the LAST ONE.

We may from now on see only regional Dukesfest and no national Dukesfest. I think in the third weekend of July 2009, there is supposed to be a "minor" Dukesfest in Seiverville, Tenneessee.

Well, I have an annual pass to Dollywood and college friends live in upstate South Carolina four hours away from the site of that Dukesfest. So, I just may drive down from the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC for that particular event.

Could be, but a reigonal Dukesfest is better than no Dukesfest at all. We'll just have to see what happens. There's been talks of all kinds of things, we're not gonna know till it comes out officially. Dont give up hope though, you know dem Dukes. They never give up, especially not our tender hearted, golden haired Duke Boy who shall always remain so at heart. ;)

Darn, I've owned my General Lee for a couple of years and was planning on attending this years Duke Fest.

I don't know if anyone else has already suggested another location or any type of festival. I own an 80 acre race track just a few minutes west of Nashville where we'd be happy to have a gathering of General Lee cars.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

to bad there is not a way to help raise the money for dukesfest that way we could help out. If i knew john was going to try to have dukesfest I would just give money to him to help out im sure if enough people donated 10 or 15 dollars that would go along way. and plus gas is way down right now so that would help alot too.

The one near Pigeon Forge as mentioned will be the only thing close to a "Dukesfest" this year. I personally favor the idea of regional Dukesfest myself. You know by June gas will be back to 3$ a gallon or more don't be fooled by it being within reason now. You're actually getting gouged worse now.It's 1.80 here and a barrel of oil is down to 33$. That means we should only be paying about 1.40 or less actually. Regional events would make it easier for those on a tight budget so you won't put all your money in the gas tank. Even Pigeon Forge area is too far for me and it's about a 9 hr drive roughly. Your average General Lee probably only averages 15 mpg if your lucky.

How about everyone meeting up at the Mopar event in Branson.Mo

Year One is a sponsor as well as Restore a Musclecar there will be a Dukes of Hazzard movie played on Saturday or Sunday Night .

Then for those of you who live near Atlanta we will head there with The Bandit Run to The year One Experience

Area 57 will take care of everything if they wanted to do a Dukes Fest or you could set up rejistration through Year One that is who will do The Bandit Run Rejistration

The theme of the show in Branson is The General vs Th Bandit

Edited by Red

Here is a link to the Mopar event

http://www.motortopia.com/events/view/e/2615/i/mopars_in_may

and here is a link to the event i would like to see you all at following that event

http://www.motortopia.com/groups/view/id/775/i/bandit_run_2009

I am a mod there and Both Sponsors and Area 57 are VERY excited about this esp. the way the economy is combining a show is agreat idea and i know i love both cars.

• 3 months later...

I have a bit of interesting news but don't go etching this in stone just yet and I'll explain why. I'm a musician working with a band that recently released a country CD. One of our agents contacted us today about playing Dukesfest 2009 in Atlanta Georgia. (That's how I found this forum, I was searching the web for info on Dukesfest)

Now here's the "don't etch" part. This was just an initial call, only a few details were talked about and we don't have a contract for this date so it's not confirmed. However, I think it's safe to say that the organizers and promoters are still weighing their options for a Dukesfest 2009.

Not trying to cause a controversy, just letting you know what came across my desk today...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm interesting! Well maybe there's hope yet, John has been selling a lot of stuff on ebay and in his shop so maybe he's been raising money for it. I'd think it might be too late in the game to organize something as big as last year unless they've been sneaky about it...but still, good to know! Thanks!

And a big welcome to Hnet ;)

hi from southern ontario canada, i met john last month in toronto and he said there might still a dukesfest this year, but i think its to late for the regular joe to book time off this late in the game, so im going to nashville next month to revisit cooters with out the other million dukesfans standing in line to get in, dukesfest should of never left nashville in my opinion, but is was great to visit the duke farm house, boars nest, and town square in atlanta, it blew my mind standing in these places i grew up watching on tv

In looking for something else, I stumbled across a mention of a Dukesfest program at Cooter's Garage in Gatlinburg, Tennessee for June 5-7, 2009. It seems that this facility is planning a form of Dukesfest through 2012.

Now, this is NOT the Dukesfest of the national scale that I went to in the last weekend of June last year (2008) at the Atlanta Motor Speedway ... but it's good enough for me. Cooter started the Dukesfest band wagon in Sperryville, Virginia (about three hours from me in the Washington, DC area) in 1996, right?

He closed up shop and re located the tourist part to Gatlinburg a while back. So, I am going to look into this a bit further and see what I can find out about the Dukesfest 2009. Anyone else want to throw in any comments about what they have heard, whether they plan to go in a few weeks to this event, etc.?

Thanks.

I saw John yesterday and he didn't say a thing about there being a Dukesfest of any kind this year....I would think he would have said something if it is in just a few weeks....

If you look at the URL posted you will see that it leads to CMT's Dukesfest...to the best of my knowledge, CMT has not sponsored Dukesfest for a while (ever since they stopped showing Dukes)...I am wondering if the URL you found is an old one?

• 1 month later...

I attended the Smoky Mountain Fest, and overall I was disappointed. Merle Haggard was forced to cancel due to health issues, which I fully understand, and they are refunded a portion of the ticket price. But I was more disappointed with the lack of activities and vendors at the event. It was cool meeting some of the stars from the show, and Cooter had some items from his store out, but other than that there was really not much to do.

Some of the actors charged for their signatures, which I thought was a bit strange considering the price of the admission. I don't have a problem with charging for more than one autograph like Byron Cherry and Catherine Bach did, but to charge for the first signature just didn't sit well with me.

Ben Jones signed everything for free regardless of how many items a fan had, and spent several minutes chatting with everyone who came through, which I thought was awfully nice of him. He spent several moments talking to my boys and even did a "Crazy Cooter" CB call on video for us, calling both of my boys by name as well. :)

• 1 month later...