Sequel Ideas for a Third Dukes of Hazzard Movie

Julieduke

I don't think it's gonna happen. WB has auctioned of all the vehicles needed to do a major production. However to do it right Danny Devito has gotta be Boss Hogg. I think he would be perfect but WB has proven twice they just don't care what most of us think or how to do it right. The Beginning cast was ok except the above mentioned. Just portray the characters close to the way they were. Get rid of the bad language and the overly done sex and drug stuff,get the original cast involved in some manner as in cameos or in the production aspect. You'd probably have a winner. WB should just leave well enough alone and let the Dukes live on in the 7 seasons on DVD.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always felt,even before the 2005 movie,that if there's going to be a new version of the Dukes,whether on the big or small screen that the original cast should be involved somehow. Back when I was in college I had to do a series treatment for one of my TV Production classes and I proposed then a new version of the Dukes called "Return to Hazzard" even though it was the name of the first reunion movie,because I liked it better than my other two options for names "Dukes of Hazzard:The Next Generation" or "Dukes of Hazzard:New Adventures". My idea was to pick up where the first reunion movie leaves off and have either Bo,Luke,or Daisy stay in Hazzard to help out on the farm again and then intro three younger (early to mid 20's) cousins named Matt Duke, Zach Duke, and Debbie Duke (they have to be cousins because it's established neither Bo,Luke, nor Daisy have children and at the time even if they had ,if we used real time,the children would not have been old enough to play big parts in the plot). I had also decided not to use Rosco as the main villian and use Huey Hogg instead,let's face it Rosco may be greedy but evil and cunning he ain't. In my original plan Rosco (now retired and finally getting a good pension from the state and a nice inheritance from Boss) plays more of an uncle type role to younger Dukes playing off of his sometimes expressed affection for Bo & Luke. The others like Cooter and Cletus (now promoted to Sheriff) filled basically the same roles they had in the original show althrough Cletus would become more like Rosco and we'd have to get a new deputy for him.

However after Denver passed away I changed my idea a little to where it was Uncle Jesse's funeral that brought everyone back for "the pilot" of my idea. Bo would move back and maintain the farm with help from the aforementioned younger cousins. But before that all the Dukes Bo,Luke,Daisy,Matt,Zach,Debbie,and yes Coy & Vance too with help from Cooter, Rosco,and Enos would foil some unused grand plan of Boss Hogg's launched by Huey. I had even planned on having Cooter's cousins and daughter make cameos in the pilot. From there I had planned on FINALLY having Daisy and Enos get married and actually go through with it and live happily ever after in L.A., Luke would go back to fire jumping while Bo,Matt,Zach,Debbie,Cooter,and "Uncle" Rosco all stay in Hazzard so they can keep an eye on Huey and keep all his greedy plans from coming to pass.

I doubt that we'll ever see anything like this but I just wanted to share how I think the Dukes franchise and the revival there of should have been handled.

I've always felt,even before the 2005 movie,that if there's going to be a new version of the Dukes,whether on the big or small screen that the original cast should be involved somehow. Back when I was in college I had to do a series treatment for one of my TV Production classes and I proposed then a new version of the Dukes called "Return to Hazzard" even though it was the name of the first reunion movie,because I liked it better than my other two options for names "Dukes of Hazzard:The Next Generation" or "Dukes of Hazzard:New Adventures". My idea was to pick up where the first reunion movie leaves off and have either Bo,Luke,or Daisy stay in Hazzard to help out on the farm again and then intro three younger (early to mid 20's) cousins named Matt Duke, Zach Duke, and Debbie Duke (they have to be cousins because it's established neither Bo,Luke, nor Daisy have children and at the time even if they had ,if we used real time,the children would not have been old enough to play big parts in the plot). I had also decided not to use Rosco as the main villian and use Huey Hogg instead,let's face it Rosco may be greedy but evil and cunning he ain't. In my original plan Rosco (now retired and finally getting a good pension from the state and a nice inheritance from Boss) plays more of an uncle type role to younger Dukes playing off of his sometimes expressed affection for Bo & Luke. The others like Cooter and Cletus (now promoted to Sheriff) filled basically the same roles they had in the original show althrough Cletus would become more like Rosco and we'd have to get a new deputy for him.

However after Denver passed away I changed my idea a little to where it was Uncle Jesse's funeral that brought everyone back for "the pilot" of my idea. Bo would move back and maintain the farm with help from the aforementioned younger cousins. But before that all the Dukes Bo,Luke,Daisy,Matt,Zach,Debbie,and yes Coy & Vance too with help from Cooter, Rosco,and Enos would foil some unused grand plan of Boss Hogg's launched by Huey. I had even planned on having Cooter's cousins and daughter make cameos in the pilot. From there I had planned on FINALLY having Daisy and Enos get married and actually go through with it and live happily ever after in L.A., Luke would go back to fire jumping while Bo,Matt,Zach,Debbie,Cooter,and "Uncle" Rosco all stay in Hazzard so they can keep an eye on Huey and keep all his greedy plans from coming to pass.

I doubt that we'll ever see anything like this but I just wanted to share how I think the Dukes franchise and the revival there of should have been handled.

That would make one heck of a great Round Robin there.

Kurt, I see that you have been a Hazzardnet member since November of 2006 but only have two posts. Why is that? You're a Dukes genius!!! I love the way you think. Wouldn't it be awesome if somebody happened to stumble on your post and knew the right people.....

I'm not sure if I'd like the show or not because I'm too devoted to the original 7 years. I've been critical of the reunion shows (and 2 movies) but your idea sounds like something that could change my mind about life after 1985.

Your idea really could succeed at blending the old with the new...and if it could be made into something the whole family could watch, it could be huge...

• 5 months later...
Hey everyone I just wanted to let y'all that thanks to the good comments I got about my old "Dukes" show treatment I decided to start working on the script again just for the heck of it.

Hey Kurt, I read what you had above, and by all means write a new script, all your ideas were awesome and you should have been the director for the movie of 2005, not WB.

I like the fact that you mentioned that all came back to honor uncle Jessie at his funeral, that would be a great pilot. I am not as fancy on words as that, but I loved all your ideas.

I don't think it's gonna happen. WB has auctioned of all the vehicles needed to do a major production. However to do it right Danny Devito has gotta be Boss Hogg. I think he would be perfect but WB has proven twice they just don't care what most of us think or how to do it right. The Beginning cast was ok except the above mentioned. Just portray the characters close to the way they were. Get rid of the bad language and the overly done sex and drug stuff,get the original cast involved in some manner as in cameos or in the production aspect. You'd probably have a winner. WB should just leave well enough alone and let the Dukes live on in the 7 seasons on DVD.

yep, Devito for boss hogg for sure, he would make sorell proud, and he is naturally plump to boot...lol

April(Daisy), from the dukes(the begining), I think she would make a great Daisy, but I guess she would just be to young for # 3 movie huh?

As long as they don't use Burt and Willy for the next one, that would stop me cold right there.

As much as I never liked Coy and Vance, I would accept them in a # 3 movie, but not for the third reunion, which , has to be the original cast, along the lines that Kurt mentioned, love his idea for a third reunion movie.:p

• 2 weeks later...

that sounds great, not to step on your toe's but what if bo, luke and daisy did have kids mabe pre teens or a little younger and they stayed in hazzard to help on the farm and be raised by bo. maybe bo's wife left him b/c she didnt like him racing and he got a boy, lukes wife passed away dont know or what from and he had a boy, and daisy had a girl maybe it could be enos' and all of the kids were really close and wanted to stay with bo in hazzard. I always thought if I was making a dukes movie what would it be like and Your ideas are great WB can learn alot from this website.

that sounds great, not to step on your toe's but what if bo, luke and daisy did have kids mabe pre teens or a little younger and they stayed in hazzard to help on the farm and be raised by bo. maybe bo's wife left him b/c she didnt like him racing and he got a boy, lukes wife passed away dont know or what from and he had a boy, and daisy had a girl maybe it could be enos' and all of the kids were really close and wanted to stay with bo in hazzard. I always thought if I was making a dukes movie what would it be like and Your ideas are great WB can learn alot from this website.

I just can't imagine Luke or Daisy just not raising there own kids.

They would be where ever there kids are. Because they know what it would be like not to have there parents in there life.

Hi All,

Don't know if you remember a while back I had posted that I was trying to work on a sequel series for the Dukes...Well a certain posting has got the creative juices flowing again. So I thought I would post my "Teaser" Commercial idea for the new series....

ENJOY!!!

V/O Black Screen

Balladeer

Do you remember Friday nights?

EXT. HAZZARD COUNTY - DAY

The GENERAL LEE jumps a dry creek bed.

BEAU DUKE (V.O)

YEEEEE-HAAAAA!

The HAZZARD COUNTY SHERIFF CAR tries to jump and smashes into the opposing bank.

FADE OUT

V/O BLACK SCREEN

BALLADEER

Welcome back to Hazzard County.

EXT. HAZZARD COUNTY SQUARE - DAY

LOW SWEEP

All is peaceful and quiet. The blast of the Dixie Horn fills the air. The GENERAL LEE 02 drifts around the corner being chased by a Hazzard County Sheriff's car.

The General Lee 02 speeds out of the town square still being chased.

BALLADEER

(Chuckles)

Y'all buckle up and hang on now, hear? The way I see it, the more things change, the more they stay the same...only in Hazzard County.

ANNOUNCER: The Dukes return Friday night at 8pm EST.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to come late to this debate, but I thought I throw my 2 cents in.

I like most of the ideas so far and agree it should include as many of the original cast/crew as possible. As for 'next generation' of Dukes, I can't believe at least one of the cousins didn't adopt from the orphanage they always supported so well. This could set up new characters who may have been on the wrong side of the law in their younger days, but now in their late teens/early 20s have Bo, Luke and Daisy to give them the moral guidance that Uncle Jesse imparted to them.

It would also be important to recapture the 'feel' of the original. Remember, it never rains in Hazzard, or gets dark (you lucky people of Georgia :)). They also need to remove the interference of the West Coast execs who don't understand the South - I know most of the episodes were filmed in California, but if it were set there would we still be discussing the Dukes of Orange (County) 30 years later?.

I'll have to admit that it will be strange seeing the General being chased by Crown Vics rather than late '70s Plymouths and Dodges, and I can understand people who believe you shouldn't go back, but I think it could work if it's done properly.

Actually it was rainy in repo men and another episode when the dukes are hiding boss hogg at there farm it is dark too

I know it's not sunny daylight 100% of the time - if it never rained, how would the Hazzard carwash ever fill up:). I was generalising a bit, but in the main you have to admit 'sunny daylight' covers most of the episodes. I stand to be corrected, but I don't remember seeing the General's headlights on (until one of the recent films), and only saw the covers raised occasionally. Of course Repo Men was one of the episodes filmed in Georgia, so rain was more likely.