KITT vs. General Lee

Brian Coltrane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having a car that could drive itself would be neat to certain point. Like if the weather was bad, and the car brought itself to the door for ya. Or you could send the car out on errands, while you stayed home to enjoy another episode of Dukes of Hazzard.

The downside is, not all self-automated automobiles would be as obedient as KITT.

My own car, if self-automated, would probably wander off for an oil change at inopportune moments and leave me stranded. It would also play tricks on me, like re-parking itself once I walk into the store. I also wouldn't be surprised if it bullied small cars and chased them away from gas pumps.

The ultimate worst-case scenario is the car getting more tickets on it's own, then I do with it. Try telling that one to the judge.

Brian

I already have an 84 firebird, now I am wanting to get a Charger - but I would have to make sure it is black - that is my fav color after all. But once I have both then I'll be happy. As well as a 77 transam - smockey and the Bandit style, and a 80's ford pickup truck - 1/2 ton would be the best. I won't pick a fav car just because it is popular - I pick it because I like the way it looks - who cares about the engine - those can always be modified. Thats just my 2 bits. :wink:

RJ, I know what ya mean. The overall look of the car - stance of the wheelbase, the design of the chassis - speaks for it's street presence. But it's a good idea to have somethin' decent under the hood that compliments the exterior.

MaryAnne, to reply to yer post while I'm at it .... yeah, your car probably would behave, if it was self-automated. Except for a few things:

It would constantly be running itself through car washes, and admiring it's own reflection in store windows.

If the paint got scratched, it would hightail itself over to an autobody shop and blow the horn until it was let in.

If it saw a parade, it would jump in line and join it.

Man, talk about vanity plates. :wink:

Brian

Howdy, JulieDuke -

Yeah, it'd be great if my car could drive me home, in the event I had been out on the town and had too much to drink. 'Cept for one thing; it all comes down to whether or not I could trust the car.

My car would amble down some godforsaken back road at 3 a.m., and then trigger the ejector seat and send me sprawling into a cornfield. I'd wake up the next day thinking a twister had hit.

And is 325 mph any advantage, when the car can drive itself? For example, what am I going to do, if I want to go down the block for a hamburger, but the car decides that it would rather go to Boise, Idaho? I'd end up in Boise pretty darn fast. (Unless the ejector seat got activated en route, and then I'd have a new career as an astronaut.)

Brian

MaryAnne, to reply to yer post while I'm at it .... yeah, your car probably would behave, if it was self-automated. Except for a few things:

It would constantly be running itself through car washes, and admiring it's own reflection in store windows.

If the paint got scratched, it would hightail itself over to an autobody shop and blow the horn until it was let in.

If it saw a parade, it would jump in line and join it.

Man, talk about vanity plates. :wink:

Brian

Yes. Yes it probably would!! Damn black paint.... ROFL

Hey ya'll just a quick thought but I have a car that I'd like you to try and imagin. Its a car that I hope someday could be real, because its realisticallly possible to do, but I cant find any trace of a real existing one.

Anyway, how about a 1970 Dodge Charger with a 1998 Dodge Viper V-10 engine with a blower on it. Its possible to do, the chasis and the fire wall has to be moved back 3 inches or so and a few other fine changes have to be made.

I know what your saying, hey this sounds like a 1968 Dodge Charger and Viper I heard about a couple years ago in Mopar Weekly. Well that would be somewhat true, except for the intelegent car to use would have been the 1970 Charger instead of the 1968. The 68" was a box! The 70" was the better model physically.

Well hope I didnt take up anyones time, just wanted to give ya a car to imagine. Have fun!

~Chet

• 4 weeks later...
Hey ya'll just a quick thought but I have a car that I'd like you to try and imagin. Its a car that I hope someday could be real, because its realisticallly possible to do, but I cant find any trace of a real existing one.

Anyway, how about a 1970 Dodge Charger with a 1998 Dodge Viper V-10 engine with a blower on it. Its possible to do, the chasis and the fire wall has to be moved back 3 inches or so and a few other fine changes have to be made.

I know what your saying, hey this sounds like a 1968 Dodge Charger and Viper I heard about a couple years ago in Mopar Weekly. Well that would be somewhat true, except for the intelegent car to use would have been the 1970 Charger instead of the 1968. The 68" was a box! The 70" was the better model physically.

Well hope I didnt take up anyones time, just wanted to give ya a car to imagine. Have fun!

~Chet

Dude! That would totally leave KITT in the dust. But think about the gas mileage. :-?

~Chet

Not to get off the topic, but I have a Car Craft or Hot rod magazine , not sure which one, from 96 or 97 that has a 57 Chevy Belair that was built on a 90 Corvette ZR-1 chassis. The guy got a junked Vette' ZR-1 and ended up retrofitting the 57 Chevy body on it with some modifications like the nose flips up instead of the hood and such. Awesome looking car painted in a blueish purple.

Chet , I see what what you mean about putting a newer car on a classic. I thought it was a very cool car and I am sure there are others in the country who do stuff like that..

Again I apologize for getting off topic..

Darrell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Depends how yer talkin'. If ya mean in their fantasy worlds, then KITT could definitely whupp th' General. It's not only indestructable, but c'n go 0-100 in seconds.

Now in the real world, if a 1969 Charger with a 404 can't beat a 1982 Trans-Am, then there's no one to blame but the driver.

Exactly. In the fictional KR world, Kitt - who is not actually a TransAm with a normal engine but rather has something more like a jet engine; only looks like a T/A! - can outrun pretty much anything else on the ground. No matter how much you love the General Lee, even a 440 or hemi under the hood ain't gonna compare with a vehicle that's more a fighter-plane on wheels; Kitt's takeoff/slowdown speed required a special safety restraint system in fact!

However, in the real world a Charger could most definitely outrace, outjump, etc any real T/A around - pretty much without effort. Which makes the General really neat cause he's realistic. You could really build a General Lee and run him just like the Dukes. Kitt isn't possible except in fantasy.

Because of the aforementioned differences between types of vehicles here... isn't this argument, as classic as it is, just a little bit moot? I mean, it's kind of like trying to compare an F-16 to an X-wing or Viper fighter! They're completely different creatures from completely different worlds! But they're both some the best of their own kind.